“What makes this place great? THE STAFF.”

Crowne Plaza Muscat
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Muscat
Riyadh
“What makes this place great? THE STAFF.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

This place beat all my expectations! How often does that happen these days?
I booked this hotel a few weeks in advance and made some enquiries about spa bookings and airport transfers. Messages were always responded to promptly.
The limo pick-up at the airport at OR20 is certainly more expensive that a taxi but at 2am I didn’t fancy waiting in a queue on arrival at the airport. And the car was a nice big BMW 7 series….
Hotel is about 25 minutes from the airport and on arrival got an upgrade to a club room which gave me use of the Club lounge. The lounge was never busy and the young lady there keeps the place spotless and everything well stocked.
The bedroom was spacious (I had a city view) and very clean. Toiletries re-stocked daily as was the four bottles of complimentary water.
There is a free shuttle bus service twice a day to the Mutrah Souk (and return). Check times at reception.
Very nice pool area with about 50 beds, a poolside bar and kids pool. Lovely view of the Corniche from here. If the weather isn’t too warm a nice stroll along the Corniche from the hotel is a nice way to walk off breakfast.
Tried the spa, treatments very good and well priced. The adjoining gym (Clifton Club) has a very good array of equipment. There is also squash courts, tennis courts, sauna and steam room.
I booked to attend the Royal Opera House and was warned about the strict dress code there with only an hour to the performance. I hadn’t packed a tie or formal trousers and on explaining my predicament to one of the managers he personally went out and returned with both. Now THAT IS WHAT YOU CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE !!!!!!!
I had a bar meal one evening in Dukes Bar – food was fresh and reasonably priced. The breakfast buffet looked extremely good but I took breakfast each morning in the Club Lounge and again, it was perfect for me. You can even order hot food be brought up to the lounge if you want.
All of the staff, from the moment I checked in to the point that I left, made me feel like a valued customer – they were always so polite and willing to help.
This has to be the best Crowne Plaza I have stayed in – definitely recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Pilot129825
Adam B, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Muscat, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments on Trip Advisor. As for our staff and service we certainly strive to achieve this level of service and I am glad that you experienced this at our hotel. I hope that you will visit us again soon in Muscat.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

A little expensive but the location on a hill top overlooking the sea is great, a good spot to watch the sunset by the pool bar.

A flight of steps takes you down to a private secluded beach. Good photo opportunities when low tide and sunset combine. Interesting rocks and a not too shy heron when I was there

Very friendly staff and several restaurants to choose from. Nice pool but just a bit cool.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tom,
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. Yes our location and views are great, I am glad though that you got to experience our private beach during your stay. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon here at the Crowne Plaza Muscat.
Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel is a little bit pricy, but they all in all live up to their standards!
It’s a great place to come back to in the evening after a long day out, or to just hang around and get some sun during day time! Great atmosphere. The full breakfast is expensive, but we learned after a couple of days(no one told us!), that you do not have to have the whole buffet every day, you can also choose a continental breakfast which suited us much better.
We would also like to give a big thanks to the two Philippine girls in the beauty saloon that gave us pedicure and manicure twice, they where great! :)

Room Tip: We did not regret choosing one standard room and one room with a balcony and sea view. That way we h...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Birgitte,
Many thanks for your kind comments and taking the time to post your review. I am glad that you had a good stay with us and certainly hope to welcome you back soon.
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

After getting over the shell shock of discovering how expensive Muscat hotels were, I realized I would have to pay more than planned for my little solo getaway. Even dreary looking hotels were priced quite high, so I decided to plunk down that extra cash for something that would, at the very least, be clean and safe. It was the right choice, meeting not only those minimal requirements but much, much more. On a very late check-in from Riyadh, I was greeted by friendly staff and was well-served by the front desk throughout my stay. There was no nickel-and-diming a guest for every request. Little things like a free shuttle to the souq (or mall), plentiful bottled water, a cheerfully-arranged late check-out, boxed Bateel dates as part of the turn-down service (wow!) and easy access to the hotel computer and printer made a big difference. The staff also arranged taxis and pre-quoted the price, removing another one of those stresses of travel.

As mentioned, this was a quick getaway from my current working reality in dusty, beige Riyadh, and I was thrilled with the beautiful blues and whites of the city, in addition to the gracious people. The hotel was a great place to enjoy that beauty, set on a hill overlooking the ocean. I stumbled into the breakfast not realizing what a treat it would be, with some of the most delicious food I've eaten since arriving in the region a few months ago - several different kinds of smoked fish, ripe cheeses, exotic fruits, creamy, luscious, scrambled eggs. Sitting outside, looking out at the white umbrellas, blue pool, and clear blue ocean - with adorable birds flying around at that - even parrots! - it's a wonder I ever set foot outside of the hotel. But I'm glad I did, of course, upon seeing that lovely, lovely city. Writing this, I feel like booking to go back again.... now!

Room Tip: Your room will overlook either the ocean or the parking lot - only parking lot was available when I...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank CA_Towhee
Thank you for your kind comments on Trip Advisor. Our location certainly is unique and we are glad that you got to experience our wonderful service, friendly staff and not to forget the great breakfast. We hope that you will visit us again soon from Riyadh.
Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I had business in Oman and my company uses IHG (Crown Plaza) .
Room was great. They upgraded me to a sea side room because of my priority club membership. They offered free drinks and food several times while I was there.
My stay at the Muscat was very good. Service was excellent by American Standards.
But the night before I stayed at the Crown Plaza in Sohar. The room was bigger, newer, the staff was unlike any I have seen before. So I would say the Crown Plaza in Sohar wins based only on service. Sohar was also 25 Oman cheaper.

Room Tip: use priority club for upgrades
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear John,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on our hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, we certainly pride ourselves on our great service. We hope to be able to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Muscat very soon.
Hagley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed here on our final leg of a long holiday and whilst we were not necessarily disappointed with the hotel, we all felt it was ripe for some renovation. The location is nice and the bar is a fantastic spot to watch the sun go down over the bay. The beach is ok, there are loungers but it is down a steep set of steps and the sand is not that nice (bit pebbly).

The rooms are ordinary but have most amenities. The pool area is very tired with quite nasty plastic loungers and the pool itself looks like something out the 50s. Nice grassy areas help though.

Breakfast was the highlight, it really had everything you could possibly want apart from dreadful cappuccinos. I would definitely applaud their breakfast.

Problem in Muscat is that all the half decent hotels are very expensive and we were only staying for one night so it didn't matter. If I was planning on coming for a week I would try and stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms really are just that, the rooms at the rear look over the car park.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hillpudlian
Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you had a pleasant stay with us and got to try our various facilities available. The breakfast we serve certainly does cover almost everything and I am happy you thoroughly enjoyed it. We hope to be able to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Muscat in the future.
Rugby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I am grateful to the staff for giving me a day room at a moments notice. Having a Priority Card may have helped. The room was of a high standard but a little cramped - and expensive. Dukes Bar is superb and the views from the terrace are truly stunning. Even it was January the weather was deliciously warm and sunny. I would stay here again for longer - if I could afford it!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank NorthernPlank
Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad that your overall stay with us was good and that you enjoyed Dukes Bar along with the wonderful views from our Terrace. We hope to welcome you and your family back soon.