“Hit or miss”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Muscat Governorate, Oman
“Hit or miss”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I don't know why, but the food is either very good, or very average. I go there for Japanese comfort food like katsudon, and often find it very good, but am sometimes disappointed. I guess that's why I would rate it average at best.

Visited November 2012

• Czech first
  • Korean first
Muscat, Oman
“Good food and atmosphere”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Very authentic Japanese restaurent and the food is very delicious and good. The stuff and the Customer are very Japanese wich make the restaurent even more authentic.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank ZeinaA_11
Muscat, Oman
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The worst service and food”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I experienced the worst service tonight at Tokyo Taro.

We had been to Tokyo Taro quite a few times, but tonight so many things went wrong.

First of all, after taking my order of Sashimi Bento box, the waitress came back saying that they run out of sashimi's. Only salmon is available. So she offered to replace my Sashimi Bento with Salmon a la carte, which I accepted. It turned out to be nine very thin slices of salmon sashimi for the price RO 8.0. What a ripoff!

After ten minutes or so, the waitress came back again informing us that the bento box my wife ordered would not have the sashimi that it should have, but was replaced with cooked fish. We said that we wanted sashimi, then she said that it was already cooked by the chef and could not be changed. Sashimi and cooked fish are completely different food! They changed our order without getting our consent.

Then the Udon soup with Tempura that I ordered came in as plain noodles, not the Japanese Udon.

I complained to the manager about the noodle and the sashimi. The manager said sorry to us, and took the noodle away without explanation. After twenty minutes, we found out that he simply cancelled my noodle order. I was not even offered to order something else as replacement.

So my dinner at Kyoto Taro became a half diner. As we stepped out Tokyo Taro, we had to go to another restaurant to complete my dinner.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Vivian Y
Goa
“Good sushi”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Food is good but ambience is way cooler. We enjoyed the food, cannot really comment about authenticity.
Staff were polite, very attentive and responsive.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank arjunvilla
Muscat Governorate, Oman
“Great Food, But Difficult Location”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

The Japanese food here is excellent. I especially like the sushi. I don't go very often because it is near Ruwi and a bit difficult to get to. I wish it were nearer to where I live.

• Visited January 2013