“Like Stepping Back in Time”
Review of Global Scuba

Global Scuba
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are an Dive centre located in Muscat, and take clients snorkelling and scuba diving daily to Daymaniyat Islands, Nature Reserve which offers the best diving in the Middle East.
Kent, United Kingdom
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Like Stepping Back in Time”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Global Scuba is a bit of a strange place!

The centre is very easy to find, located within the Civil Aviation Club, with plenty of secure parking and easy access to the beach.

The centre has a bit of a '70's UK dive club' feel to it and the few bits of equipment for sale only adds to the feeling. That said the bosses, Monique and Keith were great, very helpful and with a great sense of humour. They also had a great attitude towards safe diving and also to the environment.

The boat we used (Bahar Saham) is not the best dive boat I have ever been on. It's pretty crowded even with only 9 divers, has a high freeboard, and has a very strange angle to the ladder so it would be very difficult for the 'weak-bodied' to get back on board.

The boat skipper was great and gave some very detailed dive site briefings. He gave them as his English was better than the dive guides. As usual the diving on the Daymaniyat Islands was superb! The sandwiches are lunch time were very good too!!

Visited November 2012
2 Thank AngusDiver

Dorset, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great Diving at the Damaniyat Islands”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

These Guys arranged accommodation, as well as two days diving for us. They even collected us from the airport.
The operation was acceptable, maybe not the best organised but did the job adequately. The boats are maybe not the most comfortable, but again adequate for the job. Their dive guidance was good, can't comment about their equipment as we took our own.
The accommodation was good, located on the same site and only 2 minutes from the centre. Bed and Breakfast was the arrangement. the bed was great and rooms spacious. The breakfast was, well, disappointing. limited selection and ok if you like eggs or cream cheese.
The Diving was some of the best I have experienced in the middle east and well, well worth the visit. I will be back here for more.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank 01Michael
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“poor quality diving company - great divesite”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The diving in Oman is great. There is no doubt about this. We've been diving all over the world for the past 10 years and I think Oman is one of my top spots. colourful corrals, beautiful fish and all kinds of other living creatures (lobsters, sharks, eels).
Global Scuba: If you are not a confident diver, then dont use this company. Poor quality equipment, no organisation, chaos before the dive and dive master was a young 25 year old French girl who barely spoke English so there was NO instructions on where we will dive, what we will see etc. Once my buddy ran out of air, earlier than the others, i stayed with him and did the decomp time while the rest of the group and our dive master just left. We had no computers so didnt know how long we had to decomp and on which height. She just waved at us and left. She also didnt say anything when one of the divers broke of a piece of coral and brought it back to the boat and when that same lady grabbed a turtle.
The underwater world is beautiful but dont use this company if you are not experienced.

Visited June 2012
7 Thank Angela K
Powell River, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“The Damaniyat Islands in 40min”
Reviewed January 13, 2012

I've been diving with Global Scuba regularly for 6 months. They are well organized & efficient. Dive instructors Martine & Ali are very patient making it a pleasant experience for rookie divers. All the staff I have dealt with are good people & collectively they make for a great day out.

Their boats are simple but adequate. We recently ended up in heavy fog after our first dive @ Damaniyat but thanks to Ali's GPS there was no issues with navigation. Their equipment could use an upgrade but still meets the requirement.

As for the diving...the Damaniyat Islands are incredible. Sharks, turtles, rays, seahorses, eels, coral gardens, etc. There is rarely other divers there so you get your pick of the sites. I strongly recommend Aquarium. Unfortunately I haven't encountered a whale shark but they are around.

I don't know what the other companies charge for 2 dives & full equipment but @ 40-45 OMR, Global Scuba & the Damaniyat Islands are excellent value.

Visited January 2012
5 Thank WylieKylie
Brighton
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Very expensive, rude management and disregard to staff & divers lives”
Reviewed May 28, 2011

I spoke to Monique to book diving and snorkelling for me and my friend on 18 May 2011, the price after discount was 42 OMR for diving and 21 OMR for snorkelling which is equals 160 USD. double the price of the Oman diving centre. I also paid 5 OMR to arrange the pick up from the hotel.

the weather forecast for 18 May was not good, the skipper said that we should not leave the shores, but Monique was not going to refund or reschedule, so she made her staff risk their lives and our lives.

after a long struggle with the sea they managed to put the boat on the water, we were suppose to dive at the Daymaniyat Islands, but the sea was high and rough, the skipper decided its too dangerous to go Daymaniyat, but Monique has already told him if he could not make it there, he should take us to Al fahal island which is very close to the harbour, not good visibility under water, very little to see and no way any on can snorkel there.

after the first dive the skipper, the diving instructor and the other couple who where on the boat agreed that the sea is getting worse by the minute and we should go back if we want to avoid being in a very unpleasant situation. they made a call to the centre who asked the coast guard about the situation, the coast guards said that we should head back to shores immediately.

the sea was even worse, we have had sever back pain even after we left Oman. the skipper and dive instructor said we should come back next day since we paid to go to Daymaniyat Islands and that we should not have gone diving that day.

my friend was in so much pain next day he decided he will not go snorkelling. I went and was asked by Monique to pay another 40 OMR = 100 USD if I wanted to dive gain and that its not their problem that the sea was bad the day before. and the back pain we had is because we have weak backs.

I refused to pay more we, did not snorkel or dive properly and we already paid double the price that other diving centres charge. Keith was vey rude and hostile and tried to take any money I had on me which was about 10 USD, then told I will have to walk back to the hotel because he will tell the staff not to give a ride back to the hotel which I have paid for.

all staff, Abudulla, Martin and Ali were amazing, they were upset by the treatment I had, and made it up for me after diving they invited me for lunch, Abdullah offered to drive me back to the hotel despite the indian guy Rav telling him that keith insisted that no one should help to which Abdullah replied he has nothing to do with keith and was treating me a s friend.

to be fair I won't go diving with Global Scuba LLC, again but I will keep in touch with the lovely Omani staff that work there.

on Oman Divig Centre website two morning dives cost 26 OMR !!!!

Visited May 2011