“A home away from home”
Review of Lana Villa

Lana Villa
Ranked #2 of 31 Muscat B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We really enjoyed our time at Lanavilla. Our room was quite large (though the bathroom was quite small) and there was a good airconditioner in our room. There wasn't a tv in our room - and in fact we couldn't see one anywhere in the common areas - but this wasn't a big concern. The lounge area was really lovely and spacious with a computer for guests to use, a wifi signal and books of stuff to do in Muscat and nearby restaurants. We tried one of the restaurants that they recommended (Al Mandi) and it was amazing and really cheap. In the afternoon it's nice to sit out on the balcony or out the front in the garden with the cat and watch the world go by with a cup of tea. The beach across the road is nice for a walk though we didn't go for a swim. Overall, this place is great value for money and has a nice welcoming feel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 17, 2013

We had a great stay, very welcoming and friendly. Mic, the owner, was a brilliant help and gave us loads of tips about where to go, great places to eat, and just anything we generally needed info on. Great sun deck looking out over the beach, lovely staff, one of my favourite places to stay so far. Much nicer than a soulless hotel, it really felt like a homely place to stay, very relaxing. Will definitely be heading back.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

What a pleasant surprise - there were 3 of us and we are just about done the the Chedi's of this world -so expensive and soulless...so...we took this route and doubt we will ever return!!!
This villa (lana) was full but Mic, the owner, has just about finished one next door but one called DeeVilla,
perfect - white, colours everywhere, modern but tasteful, extremely comfortable. Verranda on night is great just to stare at seaside - all staff nice and MANY recommendations to be given...we hired a car and saw and did so much.
PERFECT - exceptional value for money : ) GO NOW!

Room Tip: UP, FRONT - great views and balcony
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Clean and basic accommodation right on the beach with friendly and very helpful staff. It's a little out of the way and you would benefit from a car (but then a car is very useful for Muscat which is spread out over several miles along the coast). A good option if you want things a little more homely, with impressive German bread.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

This place is nice and homely, very comfortable and quiet. Staff are friendly and willing to help. The location is a bit annoying if you don't plan on hiring a car. The staff will call a taxi driver for you though, the driver lives next door and you can arrange for him to pick you up again. He also does tours and is friendly and helpful. Stayed in a sea view room which was very spacious and had a nice balcony and good view. Bathroom was a bit tired but fine.

Pros: friendly and helpful staff, breakfast included, comfortable room, quiet.
Cons: wifi only in lounge and it wasn't that reliable, location: can't walk to any restaurants - ok if you have a car or are happy to rely on taxis.

I would stay there again for the value for money in comparison to other hotels in Muscat, and for the friendly homely atmosphere.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

What I like about Lanavilla is that it's in a scenic road. Price is reasonable by Oman standards at OMR38. Mic, its German manager, is always responsive and polite. The two Filipino housekeepers are cheerful.

What are cons:

Wifi only on common areas. In most B&Bs I've been, it is accessible everywhere.

Breakfast is served late at 730. Most people like myself have tours which leave either at 730 or 800. But this is not a big issue as I was able to help myself with bread and tea at 715 and have a quick 15 minute breakfast.

Mohammed the taxi driver was late for my airport pick up at 230 am even after I told many times not to be late. When he arrived at 245am, while he's cheerful and respectful he rationalized by saying I have enough time so it was okay arriving 15 minutes late. When I told him 230 is 230
He told me his alarm went off but he didn't hear it. I told him I also set my alarm and was on time. I just let those lame excuses pass and told him the important thing is he's here and I'm on my way.

The bathroom's shower was handheld which is a bit hard to use. And there were two protruding steel things from the wall and I don't know what they're for.

What I found strange is the housekeeper instructed the guests to buy their own towels to take to their day trip. I found that a bit strange. If that happened to me I would have complained. Apart from
The cost, it occupies precious space in the luggage after.

There are limited choices of restos as well. I had my dinners at the Chedi which were good. But the last night they were closed for their guests all they have are run down places at walking distance serving Arabic food. This may work for some though.

Overall it is a good place for a particular type of traveller. If you are easy with your time and are not fussy I strongly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank bankergirl1016
bennon123, Manager at Lana Villa, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Breakfast can be served also earlier on request.
The very popular Taxidriver Mohammed was little late that morning, but I dont know what that has to do with Lanavilla, since he is not our staff.
We don't rent out Beach Towles, maybe the Guest confused us with a Beach Resort..
There are 3 Restaurants in walking distance, and about 30 restaurants 5 min away by car.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Situated in a residential area, 10 minutes from the airport, this is a very pleasant guesthouse with large common areas to rest, chat read or send a few eMails.
The owner, Mic, is very helpful and has many good advices on the area and traveling in Oman.
A really enjoyable address in Muscat.

Room Tip: Book early, it is a popular place...