“Best seafood in Oman”

The Beach Restaurant at The Chedi Muscat
Ranked #13 of 413 Restaurants in Muscat
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Dine along our 370 metre private beach where the creative seafood menu gets accompanied by a sublime Gulf of Oman panorama and paired with an equally impressive wine selection. Soak up the sea breeze and salt air on the expansive waterfront patio or gaze out from the high ceilinged, contemporary dining room.
Muscat, Oman
“Best seafood in Oman”
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

The restaurant is located in the Chedi hotel muscat which is set on a beach. The restaurant overlooks the beach (and although it's not the nicest beach in the world, it still has a nice feel about it).

The service was excellent. I had booked a table inside and changed my mind when we got there. The manager was very happy to find, and set up a table outside within two to three mins.

Whilst waiting for starters, we were served bread (Turkey and caramelised onion is amazing) which were all really fresh. The amuse Bouche was a fish cream which was very tasty with bits of white fish in the soup. I made the mistake of ordering a foie gras tortellini with mushroom cream for starters. I felt the pasta was too thick, and the dish generally lacked flavour. The mussels with coconut cream and kafir lime was excellent... Mussels perfectly cocked and the sauce complimenting very well. For mains I had the lobster tagliatelle which was served with a dollop of caviar. An excellent dish overall, however the pasta was a little over cooked (this made me extremely happy seeing how I prefer it to El Dante). The star of the evening was a simply grilled red snapper... This was the fish of the day. It was cooked to perfection, and came with grilled lemon and melted butter on the side. I cannot express how perfect this piece of fish was.

We ordered a millefeuille for dessert and it was the only item that was extremely disappointing. The pastry was thick and hard to cut through, making one believe that it had been made the day before.

The manager was extremely helpful when we asked for a vintage port and went to fetch it from the main restaurant as they didn't have it on the menu.

Overall, this was a great experience. I cannot wait to go back and have that fish again. Until then, I may dream of it from time to time.

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boca Raton, Florida
“Wonderful restaurant on the beach”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

This is one of the nicest and most romantic restaurants in Muscat-- provided it is not raining. The open-air setting right on the beach, surrounded by fire bowls, is almost as beautiful as the stroll through the Chedi Hotel gardens to get there (be sure to check out the vast lap pool). The food and service are first rate-- the cuisine a clever mix of local fare and international specialities. Definitely worth a visit if you are looking for upscale dining with ambience to match in the capital of Oman.

• Visited January 2014
New York City, New York
“Birthday Blues - Be Wary If You Are Not A Guest & It Rains”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

While I didn't stay at the hotel, I made a reservation for my husband’s birthday at the Beach Restaurant a few days in advance.

It was raining the day of my reservation and was informed that the restaurant was closed when I called to check on the status of my husband’s birthday cake (which I had previously ordered). While it was still the morning, I was informed that – due to the weather – they weren’t serving dinner. No backup option was given because there was a large event in the dining room.

I appreciated a follow-up call from the manager (which I had requested) and he seemed personally apologetic. I also requested that the restaurant call me later on if the weather cleared up, because I would still like to come since this was a special occasion that I had planned well in advance.

At 5:30 PM – and with no rain for the last few hours and a 0% precipitation forecast from weather.com – I called back to the restaurant to see if they were open. I was at first told that they were only taking reservations for guests. I then said that I had a previous reservation. When the hostess looked up my name, she said that it had been cancelled. Basically, because I wasn’t a guest, I was not entitled to a table –despite them still serving people and having made a prior reservation.

I ended up having a wonderful dinner - outside - at the Crowne Plaza. In addition, they truly impressed me when the hotel managed to have a personalized birthday cake made for my husband with less than 6 hours notice. Bravo.

I realize that rain happens. I get that it can cause space issues. However, in communicating with the Beach Restaurant, I felt as though I was not a valued customer.

In addition, and probably most disappointedly, the hotel was not willing to problem solve with me. I would have, for example, appreciated just even the option to enjoy the ordered birthday cake – even in the lobby – over complimentary drinks.

Bottom line: Paying top dollar is not just about the food, but also about the experience, and for me, the Beach failed dramatically with their service.

• Visited January 2014
“Most romantic restaurant!”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

It is one of the nicest and most romantic restaurants I have been to. It is located on the beach, with fire bowls on the deck, candles are all over, lights are dimmed... Just amazing! The staff is very friendly and very well trained. The food is superb, the lobster is to die for as well as the mussels... Wowwww. Would definitely return if in muscat.

• Visited November 2013
“Superb dinner, great location”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Whilst we were not staying at The Chedi we had dinner at the Beach Restaurant, and what a treat! Food, service and location were excellent. The restaurant is right on the beach and offers a pure al fresco feeling even if you are sitting inside. With the fire bowls and candle light a wonderful atmosphere for a relaxed and delightful dinner. The catch of the day was a bliss and the chocolate dessert and sorbets an absolute delight. One of the best dinners we had so far on our Oman trip.

• Visited December 2013