“Can't believe it took me so long to visit...!”

The Swan at Southrop
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Southrop
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Charming 17th Century Inn situated on the village green in the quintessential Cotswold village of Southrop. With it's cosy restaurant, roaring fires in the winter, pretty bar and private dining room it is a delightfully English experience with a menu highlighting the best of the Cotswolds and sourcing many of the seasonal ingredients directly from its own wonderful kitchen garden ensuring a fresh and produce led menu.
Cirencester, United Kingdom
“Can't believe it took me so long to visit...!”
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

I had the most amazing lunch at The Swan with my family today, after having heard a lot about it since I moved to Ciren a year ago. I'm now annoyed with myself for not going sooner! Lovely atmosphere, (although a tad chilly when we first arrived but I think they must have cranked up the heating because that didn't last long), really well decorated, and very friendly & attentive staff. The chap who seemed in charge was really good fun and made us feel like we were guests in his own home. The only negative was that I'd say their desserts are a bit on the expensive side for what you get, especially compared to similar establishments around. The roast was very reasonably priced though. We all polished off every morsal of food, totally delicious! When we left I immediately text some friends telling them that they have to go!! I know I'll certainly be back... Thanks to all at The Swan, and well done!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank natpat86

South Coast
“Standards are slipping!”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

This was our second visit to The Swan and we expected the great experience we had last August to be repeated.
However the service was very poor, and as our booking was for late Saturday lunchtime the business of the restaurant was no excuse. We were not given a wine menu, four of our party were not even given menus on arrival. Our drinks order took a long time to be served and two of our group of six had to wait a good five minutes after the others for their starters to be served.
I trust this is a temporary blip, but unfortunately we shall not be returning in the foreseeable future.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank JandJ42
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Excellent service and very good food”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Beer well kept, good wine list. Food very good and interesting menu ( so much so we ate here 3 nights on the trot). Service was very good and the location and ambience very welcoming. Would recommend unreservedly.

Visited November 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great traditional pub”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Went at lunchtime midweek and had a wonderful pub lunch in the snug. Open fire. Great welcome. Fantastic food. Quiet rural location Recommended

• Visited October 2013
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
“ROAST BEEF LIKE BOOT LEATHER!”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Our party, some elderly, arrived at the Swan on Sunday and it was a full five minutes before they were acknowledged and shown to the pre-booked table.

The cerviche of salmon and scallops was very nice, but served in a scallop shell and was a very modest amount for £9.50...

However, three of us had roast beef and the beef was so tough as to be inedible (£16.50). When we pointed this out, the solution was to bring us a plate with two further slices of beef upon it - but also so tough as to be inedible. I should point out that we all have our own teeth and some of us were not pensionable!

The front of house manager was very charming and friendly, and when we were leaving We said 'lovely service, terrible beef' - to which she replied, 'yes, others have complained about it also and I will bring up the matter at our Monday meeting...' Not much comfort to us then!

The bill was in excess of £200 for five of us. What should have been done, is a decent reduction made for three plates all returned with beef uneaten on them. Like typical Brits, we just paid up without a fuss.

It was a shame because it ultimately represented poor value for money and lack of acknowledgement of sub standard meat.

• Visited October 2013