“give this place a miss”

Castaway Cove
Cairns, Australia
“give this place a miss”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The owner-managers of this place should not be involved in tourism or customer service. They clearly are enjoying their lifestyle and do not want the interruption of guests. Arriving after a long drive, the check-in process was gruelling while I had to listen to them barking various orders at me such as "take out your own garbage!" and "if you use up your ration of supplies (soap etc.)you will have to pay for more". I was also told I would need to get their permission if I wanted to leave prior to 8.30am, as I wasn't allowed to leave the room key in the room when departing. Seriously!!!! Lots of unwelcoming obstructions were put in my way presumably to make sure I knew who was boss. These included an old beat-up car parked across the entry road when I tried to drive up to the unit, being made to park in the "visitors" bay, so I had to cart my luggage a long way up to my room ( yet the place was virtually vacant with car space everywhere) and being charged again for the room after I had paid on wotif.com. I just hope they reversed the charge to my credit card correctly, but I'm not confident. It worries me what they might do now they have my credit card details. Further problems included mobile phones not working in my room, but no landline phone installed in the room either! I would hate to have had an emergency or medical issue arise. After the managers closed the office at 4.30pm I tried contacting them using the customer phone, but it was switched off, didn't work and it fell to pieces in my hand. I tried again another time, this time the phone was re-assembled, but my call went to a messagebank. I realised they were never going to give me that necessary permission to leave before 8.30 am!! I believe these people get a kick out of creating difficulties for guests. When I got home I found that the managers had already sent me an email suggesting I had stolen a tea-towel, then further emails about they "believe I didn't take it" but would confirm with the cleaning company. You've got to be kidding!!!! All guests have a right to expect common courtesy and a friendly welcome at any accommodation facility. Don't stay here because their incivility will spoil your holiday. The only good thing I can say is that the rooms were meticulously clean.

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank TroppoTraveller_20
Glen T, Manager at Castaway Cove, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
It was obvious to me as soon as MysteryTraveller_12 checked in that she was having a bad day. I went through our normal check-in procedure with her just like with every other guest that my wife and I have done over the last 9 years. Her claim that I barked orders at her is completely false and malicious.

I provided her with a printed Guest Welcome Sheet for her to read at her leisure and merely pointed out two matters on that sheet, which were highlighted, with my exact comments as follows:

1) “If you are leaving before 8.30 am on the day you leave then we would like to know as the office doesn’t open until 8.30 am and we need to let you know where to leave the key.”

2) “Please dispose of any left over food or rubbish in the unit at the end of your stay” (and I pointed out where the garbage bin area was).

Her quotes about what I said are completely false.

Our office hours are nominally 8.30 am – 4.30 pm and these are clearly shown on our website, outside the office door, and on the Guest Welcome Sheet. We prefer guests to check-out properly and return their keys to Reception rather than leaving them in the room, allowing us also to check whether they have anything owing on their account. I’m sorry that this appears to be too much trouble for her. I did not tell her that she needed our permission to leave early. This would be an absolutely absurd thing to say - yet another totally false claim.

Whilst we do not offer a 24 hour reception (my wife and I would like to have some semblance of a normal life) we live immediately above Reception and are available at any time to assist guests. There is a phone outside Reception which rings us in our unit. MysteryTraveller_12 seems to have mishandled the phone which is why it didn’t work. I found the handset off the hook and replaced it properly – fortunately it didn’t seem to be damaged. Other guests never seemed to have had any problems with operating the phone.

It is normal practice in self-contained accommodation for guests to dispose of their own rubbish in the bin area provided (we are not a hotel). When I mentioned point 2) above, she made a sarcastic remark indicating her disapproval. This also seems to be too much trouble for her.

We also provided her with a sheet explaining what self-catering is (as we do with all guests) which lists the linen and consumables that we supply in the unit (also available on our website). To avoid past confusion we’ve had with guests, we explain that the 22 consumable items supplied in the unit are free to use, and are enough to get the guest past the first night or two, but once they are exhausted the guest needs to look after themself (we are self-catering !), but extras can be purchased off us if needed. Again, this is standard practice in all self-catering complexes. I’m not sure why she has a problem with this.

I personally walked MysteryTraveller_12 around to her unit, pointing out the features of the complex, and indicating two Visitor car parks where she could park her car right near the entrance to her apartment block. The Studio unit does not have a garage, and we do not advertise it as having one, but there is free off-street parking. The “beat-up old car” she refers to actually belonged to our cleaner and wouldn’t start. It was parked to one side of the driveway, awaiting the RACQ breakdown service, however many other cars managed to drive around it. I’m at a loss to understand why this was such a problem for her.

As soon as I had got back to Reception, I realized that I had charged her for the accommodation, which I shouldn’t have, as she had pre-paid through Wotif. I immediately voided her credit card transaction and my wife raced around to her room to apologise, and to give her the voided EFTPOS transaction slip. She told my wife that she had been in a bit of daze and hadn’t even realized herself that she had paid twice ! To make the statements in her review about us not reversing the charge is offensive and just petty.

Our Studio Apartment is one of the cheapest units on the Sunshine Coast (she only paid $110 per night). Some guests want the world but don’t want to pay for it. The room description on Wotif, that she clearly didn’t read, states “…no phone, garage, cooking & laundry facilities, or ocean views.”

The unit does not have a phone, because it is part of a dual key 2 Bedroom Apartment (which does have a phone). In any case most guests these days use mobile phones, and we are considering removing our very costly PABX from all rooms, as we no longer earn any income from guest calls. Unfortunately the mobile coverage in our area is not great (but that is out of our control).

It is true that after MysteryTraveller_12 left, my wife checked the unit as is normal practice, and was unable to locate the tea towel. My wife emailed her and nicely asked whether she may have inadvertently packed it in her luggage. There was absolutely no suggestion or implication that MysteryTraveller_12 had stolen the tea-towel. A reply was received to my wife’s satisfaction where MysteryTraveller_12 stated: I deliberately left it on the kitchen bench after washing up and drying with it”. My wife told her that she believed her, and that she would check with the cleaners. That was the end of the matter. We turn over a third of our linen every year due to damage, wear and tear, theft and items going missing. It’s a big cost to our little business, and we make no apology for trying to locate missing items.

It’s so nice that MysteryTraveller_12 could at least see past her vitriol to giving us one positive comment regarding the cleanliness of the unit.

It is, however, very disappointing when a reviewer feels that they have to resort to gross and false exaggerations and personal insults just because they are stressed out over other matters that are currently happening in their life.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
charleville, Australia
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed in a 4 bedroom, 3 level house on the beach side next to the beach access path. It was very big and spacious. I stayed with friends and we all have children. There is 2 bedrooms on the lower level and 2 bedrooms on the 3rd level. All very spacious.
2 massive living areas. One on the lower level and one on the second level.
The only thing with staying with friends is that if you are upstairs and need to use the bathroom, you either need to walk down a level to go to the toilet or make sure they know you are using the ensuite style bathroom.
The house we had was a bit dated and had a few things wrong - like the oven didn't heat properly and we couldn't get the dishwasher to work but we raised these issues with the onsite managers. I can only assume that these have been rectified.
We stayed for a long weekend and was great to be in the one house rather than separate units like we usually do. This would be a great holiday house for a family or friends for any amount of time.
I liked that it was not close to a lot of things as we stayed in and cooked our meals and spent time together which was the purpose of our trip. If you did want to go out though, Coolum and Noosa aren't all that far away if looking for supermarkets and restaurants.

Room Tip: We were on the beach side close to the pool but all rooms are fairly close to access to these places...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I won a voucher for 3 days accommodation for a studio apartment on their website. I upgraded to a one bedroom penthouse. With winning the voucher I only had to pay and extra 150 to upgrading. It was great cheap weekend away. It was very spacious and modern, the roof top spa overlooking the water. It was really nice and relaxing. It was a short walk to the beach. The property it self was great. I would stay their again and recommend it. It was about 5mins drive to the main shops and about 10-15 min drive to Hastings Street. If you are looking for a close location to Noosa I would spend the money and get something closer to town. But if your looking for something that is quite and a bit out of the way this is a great place.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and upgrade to the penthouse. The views are fantastic and there is nothing bette...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We stayed at this resort for a week to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We booked a 1br penthouse with a rooftop spa. The rooftop had a great view and you could see right out to the ocean. We loved the spa and the rooftop also had an outdoor setting an private bbq. The accommodation was clean, spacious and modern. It was two story with a full kitchen and also a laundry. The resort is a short walk to the beach and also has its own pool with a bbq area next to the pool. The service was great, the couple who run the resort, often wave to you and greet you when you see them around the grounds and they are happy to speak to you and suggest day trips and tours. They also have a large variety of brochures and information on local attractions to visit.
We stayed here May 2011 (this site only allowed me to select back to July 2011)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brees3
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We stayed in a studio apartment. We did not realise we had to pay extra for a third person for the sleeper sofa. Furniture and apartment was very dated and tired looking. There were a few toiletries provided but we were told we would be charged extra for biscuits, and additional toilitries. There are no phones in the unit, and when asked to use the phone at the front desk, we were informed it would cost an additional 75 cents.

No phone service on the premise, we had to walk to the street to use our mobile to order dinner in. Plan on having a car hire as it is not convenient to a bus stop (good 20-25 min walk) or walkable to Noosa. Bus fares were pricey to Noosa.

We had the front desk call a cab for us, the company they called came, but wanted to charge us $40 to get to the center of Noosa. We ended up getting another cab who only charged $25.

If you are looking for a place within walking distance to Noosa or Noosa head, I would suggest somewhere in Noosa.

The larger units may be better, or more updated, but this particular unit was not imprresive. The beach front rooms do not actually face the beach ( bush area in between the beach and the units), and is about a 5 min walk to the beach.

Room Tip: Request a beach front room or larger units if possible. The studio has a small refrigerator, but do...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank tjv967

Travelers are raving about these Marcus Beach hotels

NSW
Reviewed April 30, 2012

What a great property! We stayed for our wedding anniversary for 4 nights in 1 bedroom villa.
About 7 minutes drive from Noosa Hastings St and on a beautiful beach (Marcus beach). Castaway Cove was worth the money, a really well managed place in a good location.
We will definitely stay again. Thanks Castaway team.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed October 21, 2011

What a great place to stay, not pricey, not flash but brilliant value for money, ok the place is a wee tired but the size of the units and location outstanding !!!! You have to get to know the lovely crows that visit each day watch out though they may steal your dinner !!

Room Tip: Go for the units seaside
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
#81 of 391 in Sunshine Coast
RACV Noosa Resort
RACV Noosa Resort
#2 of 10 in Noosa

Been to Castaway Cove? Share your experiences!