“Loved the Bayview!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Conch Key
Raleigh, NC
“Loved the Bayview!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2008

We visited the Bayview last month and it was a wonderful trip. We did a lot of research prior to booking the trip and The Bayview looked like a perfect fit for my family! I was surprised to see a handful of bad reviews here, but then I spoke to one of the owners and she informed me that they had recently purchased the motel from another couple from the UK. She told me that since the purchase they had done a lot of renovations, landscaping and general redecorating to The Bayview. I don't know what it looked like before but we found the place to be a nice, quiet, and a charming Keys retreat for my family! The rooms were great (we had one of the efficiencies that overlooked the bay) and there was plenty of room for us and our toddler. The place is in a great location too- close to Islamorada, Key West and Marathon. I would definitely recommend this place! And for anyone that visited when the old owners owned the place I would say give it another shot- the new owners, the pool, the ramp and docks, and the rooms were all fantastic! We look forward to our next stay at the Bayview!

• Liked — Quaintness, Views, Price, and Location!
  • Disliked — No complaints!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ReneeNC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Amsterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2007

On thanksgiving weekend, Saturday afternoon, entering the Keys...At Largo we found out via a visitors center that there was hardly any room left on the Keys...so we were a bit afraid to get stressed out finding nothing affordable. We took the 'offer' of a 100$ room at the Holiday isle at Islamorada, about half an hour further down the road. I had my doubts, huge doubts.....the review of the place was horrible in the Frommers, and the Lonely Planet didn't even bother to review the place at all. When seeing the room I was not happy (at all). Burn stains everywhere, a sigarette on the doorstep and so on... Anyway,..a big NO for 100 $ a night (and this was a last minute price, normally it cost you 200$). I was lucky to get a refund at the front desk and we drove further. Go with the flow and see how it ends.

To cut a long story short, at Duck Key we found Bayview Inn. The only one with a normally priced room fore the Saturday night, 75$. When I saw the room I knew authenticity still excisted!!! WOW how come that all these reviews are so bad? The room is big, the bathroom cute and practical, the two beds totally comfortable and clan. Everything might look a bit old, but it is clean as you can get it and the old furniture just gives it that little extra touch that makes this place so special. In the morning when we opened the sliding doors we saw a beautiful sea, nature, wild birds etc. and we were so so happy. We jumped in the crystal clear blue water and laughed..wowie this is holiday pur sang! At the store (the owners have a small store with free coffee) we bought lime pie, yoghurt and fruit and we sat down at our balcony and wished we never had to leave,..but hey,.. Key West was waiting so we thanked the owners, promised them to come back next year and drove away happy and relaxed. Who are these people who write such a bad reports? I consider myself being very picky. I love cleaness and comfort, but I do not want to be in huge resort without seeing anything of the environment, and it was all there. The owners are just normal people. The wife works hard to get the accomodation need and clean. The man was a pleasant guy with good manners. Don't be fooled by earlier reviews, there is just nothing wrong here.

Stayed November 2007
4 Thank EllesP
Miami
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2007

Came with my family and boat. Rest assurred I nor any of my friends will ever stay in that place again. The place is dirty , the owners are rude and inhospitable. It seems they resent you staying there. There are far too many places to stay in the keys for anyone to stay here.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the owner/managers have a terrible attitude
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Firejoe
chgo illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2006

the owner was totally rude and did not appreciate the fact we flew 2000 miles to a filthy room, that was not ready. the sheets were disgraceful and the rooms were disgusting. i would and will nevr stay there again he did steal my money, by not giving me a credit. he is not to be trusted and should be sent back to the uk.

• Stayed August 2004, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank mbarry76
seashime, Owner at BayView Inn Motel and Marina, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
This review is talking about the previous owners which were from England.
NORTH COUNTRY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2006

We found Bay View Inn on the web. We spoke w/ the owner's wife, who had misrepresented the place and the boat. She told us that the place was nice and well kept and that the boat was new and had a GPS, Depth finder, and she thought a fish finder (but was not sure on that). She also told us that we had use of the boat for as long as our rental was. And she said we could take it to Cuba if we wished (we didn't of course)When we arrived at 6:15pm on May 15, the owner and wife were already gone. The keys were left in the door. The place was filthy. Not vacuumed and the rugs were extremely stained. (I have a video of the room). There was a very poorly constructed wall that separated our room from another room with 2inches of plaster over the wall and face plates. We weren't buying it so it didn't bother us that much, but certainly not like she had explained it to me. We had spent alot of time on the web weeks before looking for places and there were very few available then, so we knew it would be extremely difficult trying to find one while down there and we were only there for 3days. The next day we had use of the boat. Right from the beginning it was very difficult to start. Taking us almost an hour each time we stopped to try to start it up again. We decided to confront the owner with the problems we had been having. We asked him for towels as our room had not been cleaned and we were forced to use the same towels. In Florida wet things tend to mold up quickly, so they really smelled. We also asked him to fill up the boat as he had indicated it was low on gas and we could only use his gas (though his prices are more than others). He said, "I can't get your towels and i can't get your gas because I am leaving." Bang, right then he blew up and told us was disappointed in the condition we left the boat in. Mind you, it was a fishing boat and we had just arrived at the dock, so no time to clean it. We figured we would cool off a bit and jumped in the pool. Moments later he came by with a pool sign “closed” and demanded that we leave the pool immediately. At that point I informed him that he had no customer service and his place was in dire need of cleaning, so maybe his priority should not be in going home, but rather in cleaning the place and taking care of the customer.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank cudaman
seashime, Owner at BayView Inn Motel and Marina, responded to this review, October 25, 2010
this review was directed at the former owners...please look at our recent tripadvisor ratings and visit our webiste for an updated viewing of our property
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2005

We took our family from the Uk to this motel, expecting a dream vacation. it was a nightmare vacation. the rooms were filthy dirty, bugs crawling on floors and walls. We were bitten to pieces by fleas. The toilet backed up and flooded the bathroom and rooms. The shower had a major leak which flooded the hallway carpet everytime it was used, resulting in a foul smell of dampness. The pillow had bloodstains on and were completely flat. The store was empty of goods with food items being sold out of date. the toilet incident was the final straw and we escaped the Bay View Inn to another accommodation. Despite our complaints to the owners who by the way at the time were British, they charged us for the full rate of 14 nights stay when we only stayed 4 nights. (Need I say more). The motel needed a complete renovation.

• Stayed January 2004
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
this review was directed at the former owners...please llok at our recent tripadvisor ratings and visit our webiste for an updated viewing of our property
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2005

In need of a major overhaul. They expect you to bring them the soiled towels for replacement. For that money I expect them to make the room and change the linens. Less work for the 6 room motel, more inconvenience for the guests. Yuch.

9 Thank fastmoves
Hawks Cay Resort
Hawks Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,500 reviews

Been to BayView Inn Motel and Marina? Share your experiences!