“Beware, all is not well here” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Chateau Bellevue
Ranked #1 of 1 Plassac B&B and Inns
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Beware, all is not well here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

My wife and I decided to book 10 days at the Chateau because of the rave reviews on the Trip Advisor...we really should have thought twice about this decision. Petra demanded half of the fee before we arrived, and insisted that it had to be paid with Pay Pal. This should have been our first clue.

When we arrived, Petra met us at the door and showed us up to our room. It was absolutely sweltering in the room at 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit). We asked if she could turn on the air conditioning...alas, there is none in the chateau. Begrudgingly, she brought us a small oscillating fan that was of little use. After twenty minutes, I had completely sweated through my shirt and knew that the night ahead would be miserable. We asked her to move to another room...and found out that we were actually interfering with her family reunion going on that week.

Petra’s daughter was quite miffed to be asked to change rooms to accommodate a paying guest. It was evident that we were interfering with her family time and she preferred that we stay out of the way. This was most evident when we asked to sit outside on the porch. Petra said, “Oh, I think some of the other guests would like to sit out there instead.” The other guests were her family members.

In addition, Petra’s oldest daughter was in the midst of a man crisis, thus requiring Petra’s undivided attention. Simply put, Petra was not available to ask questions or seek guidance. We were on our on to figure things out both in the house and in the surrounding area.

Before heading out to dinner, we decided to try the “heated” swimming pool. The pool was ice cold and quite dirty. The water was so cloudy you could not see through it and the bottom of the pool was littered with gravel from around the edges of the pool. Needless to say, we were quite disappointed; however, we should not have been surprised as the grass was nearly 100 centimeters (one foot) high on the grounds. Clearly, maintenance was not a priority for this venue.

On the positive side, we thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful surroundings of the chateau and the two dogs that live there. The chateau is in an extremely remote area with little to do, and even fewer places to eat. If you want to visit the Bordeaux wineries, you have to take an expensive ferry across the river (20 minutes on way, 14 Euros each way) or drive an hour and a half to get to the more well-known Bordeaux areas. This is not a place you want to stay if you want to enjoy late night dinners in Bordeaux as the ferry stops running at 9 P.M.

All in all, this was a disaster. We ended up leaving after the second night and moving to a wonderful hotel on the other side of the river. It was the best decision we could have made and it saved our vacation. In the end, Petra refused to reimburse any of the money for the nights that we did not stay in the Chateau. It was an expensive mistake on our part and one that we would not wish on anyone else.

I would never recommend this place to anyone. Stay away. Petra has lots of family issues that will impinge upon your hard earned vacation. And, whatever you do, do not pay for nights in advance.

Room Tip: Higher floors are hotter as there is no A/C.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank alleydw
beiuns, Owner at Chateau Bellevue, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
We like to apologise for any inconvience our guests might have had. Not everybody has always the same point of view.

Such a report is a strong tool and can be used unfair. There might be other intentions behind it. But we are not intending to discuss it in public.

A fact is we have more than 80 excellent 5 star ratings, more than anybody else in the Bordeaux area. It prooves that Chateau Bellevue is one of the best b&b places to stay. But anyway - sorry once again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Kuranda, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2011

I stayed at the Chateau with my partner in early October and as soon as we drove up to the castle I knew I had arrived at our Utopia. Petra welcomed us with refreshments and right from the time we arrived until we left, looked after us. She kindly suggested we would take another room when she had assessed my partner's height as he would not have fitted in the bed in the room we had booked. That was good advice! Petra is also an excellent artist and the combination of art, architectural and natural beauty made this place magical and so rare; I cannot imagine finding that anywhere else. While we did venture out and explored the vineyards and country side just being at the chateau was enough for us. We also slept incredibly well in these beautiful peaceful surroundings. On our last night we sat outside with Petra taking in the most breathtaking sunset. This definitely was the highlight of our European tour and an unforgettable experience. Thank you Petra!

Room Tip: Make sure the bed fits when you choose your room!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lineke B
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2011

Myself and my husband stayed here for two nights recently around 10 dys ago and I must say it exceeded my expectations it was so lovely and the setting is fantastic, it is so quiet and peaceful I cannot wait to return and sleep in the beautiful bed my god did I sleep!! I think it was the nicest bed that I have slept in apart from my own! anyway I can highly recomend this place if you are looking to chill or even base ourself in a very central area for visiting vineyards. Petra and her family are lovely and make you feel really welcome....

Room Tip: St Emilion is a good room the views are amazing!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Mequon, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

I apologize for taking so long to post this review, but it took this long to work out the final details.

This chateau has a wonderful drive-up appeal. It is beautiful overlooking the vineyards. Petra met us and showed us our room, but was very rushed as she had errands to run. We settled in and explored the grounds. The two dogs are nice, but the terrier will steal things from your room. We had a time trying to get my son’s shoe back from him.

The chateau has been renovated completely. It is in tip-top shape. Unfortunately, all of the details have been covered up with the white-on-white color scheme. The artwork is quite vivid, and in my mind detracts from the chateau. But, everyone has different tastes. The furnishings are tastefully done and elegant. Wi-fi seemed only to work in the downstairs area. The breakfast was very nice. The location is great for exploring the nearby wine regions. I do agree with other reviews that this is a great place for picnics. We ate on the round porch in the back three out of the four nights we stayed there, but there were many different seating spaces in the garden. This was an easy area to pick up supplies.

There are a few changes at the chateau in terms of management as I believe Petra is running this on her own now. Dinner is no longer available. Also, the pool is not heated as the website says. Our boys found the pool the coldest on our three-week trip. She seems to be available in the morning for questions and suggestions, but was not around at night. She had arranged dinner reservations for some guests, but neglected to tell them where it was. Since Petra was not around, I found a map and showed the couple where the restaurant was as we had been there the night before.

The big shock was the morning of our checkout. Petra insisted on cash only. We paid the deposit using PayPal. She said that she emailed me that it was cash only. I produced the email, and she said that was arranged by her husband, who I assume is no longer in the day-to-day operations of the chateau. We went into Blaye to use the ATM, but it was difficult as the machines have a limit on how much they will give, and our cards had a limit to how much they would give. Luckily we were able to come up with 600 euros. We were a family of four with two rooms. We needed 703 euros. She said we could use PayPal when we returned home. Had I known in advance, this would not have been a problem.

After we left, we realized that we left a suit coat. It took many emails and over two months before it was actually sent. In one of her messages to me, she said that she had several items to return all of the world, but she was just too busy, and she would get to it soon.

Again, this is a lovely chateau in a great location, but there are definitely some issues to be worked out in this transition time.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Ttttraveler
East Anglia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

Villa Bellevue, located just adjacent to Chateau Bellevue, is a superb place for a family holiday. The accommodation is excellent, the pool is quiet, there is tennis close by, and supermarkets within easy reach. The owner is an excellent host and dedicated to looking after guests. A great place to relax in comfort.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

This was a very friendly chateau. Rooms were huge and comfortable. The owner runs the show and has two very cute dogs. Breakfast was great and the chateau is close to Blaye which has an amazing castle to walk around during sundown.

The chateau is well situated to go wine tasting on the right bank or, to take a boat across the gironde and taste in the Medoc. The chateau itself has great views of the gironde with a pool in the backyard.

If you enjoy bed and breakfasts, this is a quiet, romantic one to enjoy.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

My wife and I had a great stay, very friendly host went out of her way to help us plan our visit. The breakfasts were very good and the chateau was very attractively furnished. The nearby countryside is great for walking. Only issue make sure you have double bed doonas the singles doonas on a double bed ended up in a tug of war at night.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plassac
Chateau Cordeillan-Bages
#1 of 2 in Margaux
La Closerie des Vignes
La Closerie des Vignes
#1 of 1 in Saint-Ciers-De-Canesse

Been to Chateau Bellevue? Share your experiences!