“Good food and great view”
Review of On The Rocks

On The Rocks
Reserve with OpenTable
On The Rocks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: On The Rocks features home-cooked, American cuisine and a breath-taking view of Lake Lyndon B. Johnson in the heart of the Texas hill country.
Houston, Texas, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food and great view”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Was wary about this joint based on some of the reviews, but was very pleasantly surprised. They had a decent selection of wines and beer. The food was awesome! My wife and I both had chicken pasta dishes, and both were phenomenal.
The chicken pesto pasta was very rich and filling. The chicken scallopini was lighter, with a perfect mix of lemon and caper zest. We kept eating off each others plates.

The view from the outdoor tables added a great ambience, overlooking the water and the sunset. The service was fine, and not hurried. Plan to stay and enjoy your food.

We finished our meals with desert, hummingbird cake and brownie sunday. This nearly put us over the edge. Almost had to be wheeled out of the place.

We will be recommending "On The Rocks" to our friends, and will definitely go back next time we are in the area.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Eric P

Marble Falls, Texas
“Beautiful overlook at Lake LBJ, relaxed, friendly, Italian menu”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Watched a beautiful sunset over Lake LBJ while staff built fires in chimineas nearby. Not terribly crowded on a Thursday night, very relaxing atmosphere. I ordered the Shrimp Scampi pasta and house cabernet. Both very good and reasonably priced. Noticed they also had burgers if you don't want Italian, and kids menu. Like that it's family owned - not chain restaurant. I'd probably make reservations on the weekend though. They have a stage for live music and would guess outdoor seating gets filled fast.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Teri F
Hill Country
“I've had better.”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Let's see...
Me and a friend of mine decided to take a drive to go for lunch.
We wanted to try something new.

Where shall i begin?
The Service, and the ambiance...
Service was SO slow... I mean I know we went during the slow time but there was only 1 person there! the Server AND the cook... Yeah exactly 1 person! The waiter said he cooked our food?
0_o
The outside of the place was really cute and it had a nice feel to it, it just didnt feel like a restaurant!
The inside was kinda dingy and needed a pick me up. Of course the view was great but eh.
So okay, we ordered the Jalapeno dip, I cant remeber what it was called but it was pretty good but tasted like something I could of bought at the store.
My friend did'nt like her meal at all, her salad dressing was awful. She could taste it for days after! it was WAY too strong. I think it was the house dressing.
I really enjoyed my meal tho, it was the lobster raviolii, it was great.
That was the only thing that was good, beside the chips and dip we got.

Wont be back.
oh! and too pricey for nasty food.

• Visited May 2012
Rowlett, Texas, United States
“Hard to find but worth it”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Great place with live music, wonderful Italian dishes and a gorgeous view. Generous food portions, I had shrimp scampi and the shrimp were so large and many on the plate. Looked like they were still in some construction but nothing that impaired the dinner.

Visited March 2013
Blanco Texas
“Beautiful view of the lake, slowww service”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Eight of us went to "On the Rocks" for dinner. The server was as polite as could be, but could not handle our large group. All the food was just OK, hoping for something above that. The bar area outside had a nice atmosphere. Would stop here in the future for a drink and that's all. The outside seating area is gravel, need I say more?

• Visited October 2012