“Anaemic food in a quirky setting - what a big disappointment”
Review of Belle Vue Inn

Belle Vue Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Llanllwni
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a cosy and welcoming country pub serving great local produce, fine wines and great beers from West Wales. Our menus include a lovely Specials Board, Grill menu and also a dedicated vegetarian/vegan and of course our beautiful desserts. On Sunday Lunch we offer not only Roasts but our Sunday alternative and our Specials too, so you are spoilt for choice. We love our Gins too and always serve Fevertree tonic to accompany them as we believe it brings out the best in their flavours. We hope to see you very soon.
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We booked a table for two and drove for almost 45 min to get to this place for dinner with great expectations. It had received raving reviews , and was voted one of the best restaurants in Carmarthenshire. We were received by a friendly waitress that took us to a tiny table positioned just before the stairs so we asked to be moved , which was not a problem.
We sat by the window where we could see the cars speeding in the night. The table was also tiny, and there was no table cloth (not even a mat), but I had instead a loose TV aerial to play with at my feet. The décor is rather quirky, dominated as it is by a hideous red carpet (who puts carpets in restaurants these days?) and a low ceiling that makes it somehow claustrophobic.
Nobody told us anything about what was on the menu, and there did not seem to be any day specials. The menu is very meaty oriented. There was only one fish as main dish in the list (seabream) but after 20 minutes of waiting we were told it was sold out. One expects to be told this things before ordering. The people at the next table ordered Welsh black beef but a quick glance was enough to dissuade us, it looked dry and unappetizing . So we ordered a salad of smoked salmon and mackerel and a basket of bread with olive oil as starters, with risotto and stuffed chicken as main courses . No wine list was produced so we had to ask for one. The wine list is rather cryptic, it tells you the types of grapes your wine has but not where it comes from, or its vintage.
After another rather long delay, the starters arrived. The smoked salmon and mackerel salad was good but there was far too much lettuce and precious little fish in it. The basket of bread was just three pieces of anaemic, bland dough and not really the rustic, warm bread that we had anticipated. Try dipping that into olive oil, it will soak and become soggy like a sponge.
The risotto was slightly undercooked and utterly bland. It was just rice with big chunks of onion and tasteless mushrooms. It had a crunchy texture. Definitely not the creamy, oozy risotto the we had anticipated. My chicken was stuffed with pork and a tiny amount of mozzarella but this was again quite bland and pretty tasteless. In disappointment , and after another long wait, we asked for our bill. We waited for ages, so eventually we had to stand up and go the bar to pay.
We were asked how our food was and were given apologies for the wait. When we explained, the waitress was again apologetic and sympathetic, but lacking experience . In another place they would not had charged us for the risotto, which we had left half eaten in the plate . She asked us to fill a questionnaire with feedback, which we did (we learned then that they are asking customers to recommend this placed for Michelin rating – we could not believe it). She also called the chef, but he did not appear. We felt really awkward because she was obviously embarrassed (this at least shows she cares) but it was hardly her fault.
All in all, we felt cheated and mislead. It may be that we were really unlucky , and that this was just the chef’s bad day, but we feel this place badly needs a reality check. The staff were attentive and I am sure they were trying their best but they are not very professional .We were amazed that the place is getting such good reviews. The food is mediocre at best. We thought we may gone to a different place. We will not call again.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

This was a last minute decision to go out for a meal, my wife and I hadn't booked so we took a chance and turned up, We couldn't have felt more welcome, we were shown to a table promptly, the menu is comprehensive and should cover all tastes, with a excellent vegetarian menu also, I chose the Duck, my wife the rib eye steak, both dishes were extremely good, i would recommend the Belle to anyone passing or in the area, service, food, atmosphere all get 10 out of 10

1  Thank paul e
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We have been to the Belle on several occasions during the 8+years we have lived here in South West Wales, ussually for an evening meal, but most recently my wife went to a Christmas lunch with work colleagues.
We've always found the food exceptionally good and the staff friendly. Portions are excellent, as a result you may find you wish to pass on either the desert or a starter, either way you'll be missing smething special

1  Thank Llaingyfre
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Love this rerstaurant. It is cosy, staff are friendly. Food is brilliant. Hope they do some of their theme nights again this year. Third time for Christmas day, hope to go next year again.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I am extremely fortunate to have dined in many excellent restaurants across the world, and whilst I would never consider myself an 'expert' I do know what I like, and I recognise excellent quality when I get it. The 'Belle' delivers noteworthy quality by the plateful!

The 'Belle' continues to be a most reliable eatery where I can bring clients, colleagues, friends and family; from as far as South Africa, Singapore, and even Scotland(!) -the comments are always favourable. I have attended many 'themed evenings' as well as dined from the excellent 'daily book' and cannot say that I have had a bad course yet in nearly 3 years! (Yes of course you might pick something which doesn't quite match your palate, but this should not influence your opinion on its quality!)

The owners (Andy and Sue) and the staff are extremely helpful, and will certainly do their best to explain the dishes in more detail if asked; they will also do their best to accomodate any specific or special dietary requests. The food is consistently of high quality, of sufficient portion size, and always served piping hot, -a basic which is often missed in many other establishments. The vegetables are always fresh (never frozen!) whilst the meat is sourced locally from well established butchers and game dealers (try the fillet rare, -it's stunning!)

There is a great selection of wines, Welsh ciders & perrys at hand, and always a handful of real ales and 'uber-lagers' on tap! The 'Belle' was voted as the 'Best Restaurant in Carmathenshire - 2012', and having tried many others in the locality I completely endorse the judges' decision!

Here's to 2013 and another cracking year of gastronomic delight!
See you soon!