“Peaceful woodland retreat”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of Strae Cabin

Living / dining area
Veranda
Double bedroom
Loch shore near cabin
Otter can often seen in burn
View from burn
Pine Marten on veranda at dusk
Loch from village marina
French window opens onto veranda
Red Squirrel are common here
Loch Awe at sun set
Swan on loch
Books, games & DVD's
Triple bunks
Shower room
Floor plan
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Mrcolinwi...
Rosyth, United Kingdom
“Peaceful woodland retreat”
Reviewed April 30, 2017 for a stay in February 2017

We stayed at Strae in Feb so the surrounding cabins were mostly empty giving it a real air of seclusion which was lovely.
On arriving we found the cabin to be like a fridge, which wasn't particularly welcoming, perhaps this was an oversight by the owners, but taking the time to pop the heaters on before we arrived would have been a nice touch.
That said, the heaters were sufficient even for the time of year and the place was soon cosy and warm.
If you are looking for some down time in nature with plenty of woodland walks and wildlife, this is the place.

Date of stay: February 2017
Reviewed January 3, 2017 for a stay in December 2016

Date of stay: December 2016
Alison H
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Cabin in the woods”
Reviewed November 11, 2016 for a stay in November 2016
person found this review helpful

If you want to get away from the "hussle and bussle" of daily life, this is the place for you. It is on a small park, in a small village, but tucked away in the woods. There are lovely walks in the forest and along Loch Awe. Information in the cabin gives details on longer walks. There is fishing and cycling within this beautiful countryside. The cabin itself is welcoming and cosy, with books and board games to entertain you, as there is no phone or wifi signal. Ideal for walkers and dog owners. This is the place for Peace and quiet. Would definitely recommend/ We will be visiting again.

Date of stay: November 2016
Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Peace and quiet
Liked least: nothing
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Older travelers Families with young children
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Stephanie...
“Miss”
Reviewed March 14, 2016 for a stay in March 2016
people found this review helpful

We absolutely loved our stay in Strae Cabin! It's the perfect place to get away from the normal hustle and bustle of everyday life. It was so peaceful and there was plenty of wildlife around, lots of lovely walks and the locals in Dalavich were so welcoming and helpful. My favourite part was the pine marten who visited us every night, but I'm a wildlife lover so that's not surprising! For anyone looking for a quiet getaway in the most beautiful and peaceful location I would definitely recommend staying here. We wanted to stay forever!

Date of stay: March 2016
Mar 15, 2016
Glad you enjoyed your stay. I'm a wildlife lover too but I think even the most devout city slicker would marvel at these beautiful creatures up close.

If you want to see a recent clip of our Otter and cub in the burn by the cabin please check out our website.
karenlf
midlands
“Perfect Peace and Isolation”
Reviewed December 5, 2015 for a stay in October 2015
people found this review helpful

Be aware that to reach the cabin you have to drive a single track winding road to Dalavich, whichever way you approach it. Be aware there is no phone reception for about 20 minutes either way (how does Irene's mobile phone work?? It is a mystery to me!) This is all part of what I was looking for, but I know it matters to others.

I really loved this place - I've always loved Loch Awe, and this cabin was perfect. It really does have everything you need - except a DVD player! I think I maybe just couldn't find it, because there were DVDs there, and it was advertised as having a player, and had a booklet giving instructions on how to use it. It didn't matter, didn't affect our stay. When I got there, I was horrified to find I had forgotten to bring teabags - but there were some there in the 'tea' container - I was so grateful! There are books to read on rainy days, and games, although we had brought our own. It really has a homely feel.

The wildlife and seclusion are wonderful. We didn't see Fingers the Pine Marten, but the naughty red squirrels were regular visitors. The weather was pretty dire whilst we were there, but there was sun enough to visit Kilmartin Glen (a spectacular walk through a prehistoric landscape) and to get lost in the forest. Seriously, we only found our way back by heading to the loch!

Because it was so late in the season, I had been a bit worried about heating, but no need, it was lovely and warm, the heaters worked well. The bathroom is small, but not problematic, and although it isn't a power shower, it worked fine and wasn't just a dribble. My son loved the view from his top bunk in the bunk bedroom - the window extended from his bed level to the ceiling so he could watch the stars the one night they were out, and he often went and sat to read up there, looking out over the forest.

There is a coffee shop nearby with groceries for essentials (but no newspapers).

It was easy to book, and the instructions sent were clear. I was a little bit confused which house to get the key from, but that was because I couldn't log on to my booking due to lack of phone reception (my own fault, didn't think it through!), and there were only two houses by the gate, so the process of elimination was speedy enough.

I really hope I get the chance to come back. The rental was the price of a B and B, but it has so much more to offer, and we didn't want to leave. If you want modern and minimalist or boutique-feel, then this isn't the place for you. But for what it is, I cannot give it less than 5 stars.

Date of stay: October 2015
Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The seclusion, peace and quiet, widllife
Liked least: It too far away from me to go all the time!
Traveling group: Teenagers
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Mar 11, 2016
Hi and thanks for your kind review.
The road to Dalavich is quite winding but it is a beautiful drive and the price we pay for peace, quiet & seclusion.
Phone signal is very good for Vodafone, ok for 3 but not great for ee I'm afraid.
There is a DVD player in the TV itself.
Hope to see you again soon.

Regards, David
Clairevau...
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay but go in season as all amenities were closed.”
Reviewed November 28, 2015 for a stay in November 2015

Such a relaxing and amazing place to stay.. Irene the site manager was fab and so friendly and helpful.. take a touch for night walking as no park lights and go in season as bar and resturant closed and on site shop closed Sunday,Monday Tuesday and Wednesday but when open staff couldnt do enough to help u..and nearest shop was
20 miles away but even that was a delightful due to the scenery... will definitely be booking again.

Date of stay: November 2015
Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Mar 11, 2016
Hi Claire & thanks for your review.
Loch View Bar & Grill (which is very good) goes onto winter hours up until Easter, which is basically weekends.
The village shop / café is good for basics and a coffee & cake.
Hope to see you again soon.
Smunchkin...
“Lovely week spent at Strae cabin.”
Reviewed November 11, 2015 for a stay in October 2015

We spent a lovely week at loch Awe in a cosy cabin in an amazing part of Scotland!
Strae cabin was compact but very cosy and I just loved the leaf wall lights! It was clean and had everything needed, only thing that did let it down was the pans most of them had seen better days and the ones that were ok didn't have lids but the owner has assured us they are to be replaced.
The area itself has lots to offer and the Oban sea life centre was a highlight for our youngest son, the loch and the forest walks leading from the site led to a very happy contented dog!
So all in all was a really fantastic week even having a BBQ in the rain was fun! would definetly recommend this cabin to anyone as it's so tranquil and relaxing, never thought I'd enjoy bird watching so much!!
Also a visit on the first morning from a red squirrel on the veranda made our day!
Lovely holiday, lovely memories!

Date of stay: October 2015
Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Nov 12, 2015
The saucepans have now been replaced, thanks for pointing them out.
Next time you visit try leaving some bread and Jam on veranda for Fingers the Pine Marten. You may have to wait up for him but well worth the wait, he's a beautiful creature.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing