“6 day holiday” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Loch Awe Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Loch Awe
Loch Awe Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Loch Awe
bridlington
“6 day holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed at Loch Awe Hotel combined with a Lochs and Glens Holiday , the food was excellent , the staff very friendly , this is a very nice hotel with excellent views over the Loch , my only complaint was, due to very warm weather and sleeping in a top floor room , it was very warm at night time ...but we should never complain with hot weather especially in Scotland .

Room Tip: If possible ask for a room facing the Loch as the other side is facing the road , and if you need th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank David H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

this was our first trip with lochs and glens and it was great from the start, none of the usual changing coaches fiasco standing around lugging cases and confusion experienced with other coach companies. good knowledgeable driver frequent comfort stops and plenty of legroom on the coach. the hotel was ready and even took your cases to your room. the mealtimes ran to precision fast and efficient service, the food was well cooked and presented, and even the trips were included in the price. I was impressed with the smooth running of the whole operation and will certainly travel with them again. If there was one fault the hotel was quite dated and needing a little TLC but even that was quite endearing. oh also there was evening entertainment of singers and music and on the last night a Scottish dancing exhibition. Had a thoroughly good week and were even lucky with the weather. give it a try you wont be disappointed

Room Tip: you may be lucky and get a view of the loch
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank sweetiepie021
prestwick
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

The hotel is situated on the banks of Loch Awe and therefore has one of the best outlooks I have enjoyed. Stunning. I was checked in efficiently and even upgraded to a Loch View room at no cost. Overall, the hotel proved to be very good value. Meals were very good and the evening entertainment was fun. Throughout, I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, when allowed. My room was clean and comfortable but I would have liked tea on the complementary tray.

Herein lies the problem with this hotel. It is operated by the Lochs and Glens tour group and is almost exclusively set up to cater for their tour bus parties. In their striving to be efficient the hotel is almost regimented. for example, while eating dinner on evening 1 I was asked if I wanted tea or coffee FOR BREAKFAST. (seating was pre-allocated). Being unsure, I opted to wait until morning. No matter; tea was on my table (made up for shortage in room). anyway, I decided to extend my stay to 2 nights with no problems. Having done so, I was later told that, unfortunately, my 2nd day was tour bus turn over day. and this is where the hotel really gets it wrong. Breakfast was to be served AT 7a.m. with no optional times. There would be no real chioce (full cooked or scrambled egg) and I must check out by 8 a.m. to allow time for prep for the next tranch of tour buses!!! This is supposedly a Scottish Tourist Board 3 Star hotel which in my view means it should cater for and value ALL of its paying guests, not just those tied up in the owner's vertical market model. Great area, tired hotel, lovely staff but constrained to provide average service. Ssharpen up Lochs and Glens.

Room Tip: Loch view rooms are great but avoid those overlooking kitchen extention; fan noise and cooking smell...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank airmanPrestwick
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

We saw Loch and Glends coaches everywhere while we were away with Woods on this trip: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g190750-d562526-r116065610-Esplanade_Hotel-Dunoon_Argyll_and_Bute_Scotland.html At the time I found the giant coaches with their crowds of passengers a little off-putting but when I was looking for a Scottish coach firm to try this year, they seemed to be consistently well rated so I decided to take the plunge and give them a try and I'm very glad that I did!

My husband and I booked onto the 'Scenic Scotland' 5 day holiday. It was the shortest trip we could find as a taster and included a day's excursions to Iona and Mull. (I didn't realise that these only ran at certain times of the year so we were actually very lucky!) We were collected from Milton Keynes station at 6:30am - the directions for pick-up were vague but the coach distinctive. (If anyone else is looking for this information - you'll be picked up from the ranks of bus stops outside the railway station - NOT the bus station across the road!)

There were only 21 people on the coach so we immediately spread out with a seat to ourselves and clear views all around. The journey up to Scotland was fast and comfortable with enough stops although they tend towards the short side. Kev, our driver for the whole trip, was super. Informative and friendly, and ran a great 'caff' with teas, coffees and hot chocolate with a nice range of wee dram 'extras' to add to help keep the chill out! If I could make a recommendation it would be that a tray, storage net or cup holder on the back of each seat would have really helped during the long journeys.

The hotel itself is stunning both for its location and its outside appearance. A real fairy-tale castle look, perched up on the edge of beautiful Loch Awe commanding superb views of the loch, surrounding forests and nearby castle. Inside, the hotel is basic, appropriate for its age and well maintained. We were assigned to Room 12 which overlooked the loch and was clean and comfortable: nothing breathtaking apart from the view but you don't go on coach holidays for luxury! The presence of *mugs* rather than just tiny little tea-cups in the room was a really nice touch.

The food was generally good with just a couple of dishes that didn't work as well as others: again, coach holidays=mass catering so if you expect high-end cuisine you will be disappointed and we certainly never left the table hungry. I'm vegetarian and mainly had the salads: fresh, tasty and even made to order one night when I couldn't face the veggie main. (Reception staff were very happy to take care of that request - top marks.) For non-veggies, based on my husband's reports, I'd say stick to the meat+veg type plates rather than trying their more adventurous curries and the like. The bar was well-stocked, particularly with a good range of whiskies and helpful staff keen to assist with your choice.

In terms of other facilities: having wireless is great but a) any chance it could be extended outside the reception area and maybe into the bar/entertainment area and rooms? and b) you're now getting a large number of people bringing wifi-enabled devices on holiday and the speed of the router/data capacity was just not enough to keep up with all the people who wanted to use it. Extending the wifi and upping the speed would make lots of techies very, very happy and ensure you future proof your facilities as more people bring their technology on their holidays rather than leaving it at home.

One point that we did find somewhat alarming was the emphasis on norovirus: I can appreciate how dangerous an outbreak would be for business as well as dire for the folk involved but I've never encountered such a focus on this risk when staying away before. It's certainly well-meaning having the hand sanitation gel available at the entrance and emphasising it must be frequently used but is it really such a common problem?

Value for money is amazing: we found it hard to work out how the company manages to operate at the prices we paid for the week but we're certainly not complaining!

Overall we had an excellent trip and I will certainly be booking again. I quite fancy the shiny new Ardgarten hotel that we went past of the way home. Thanks to Kev and the hotel staff for a great week.

Room Tip: When I booked I asked if it was possible to request a loch view and was told they were allocated fir...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HaloLeicester
eastbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I spent a wonderful 7 days with Lochs and Glens at their hotel on the edge of Loch Awe. I had a view right over the loch and we had day trips out to Oban, Mull and Iona. Also the Cruachan Power station inside a mountain. The people were friendly and courteous. The staff were very attentive and the food was very good. I enjoyed some of the local dishes as well as the other choices on the daily menu, all of which offered a good choice of dishes. The service was excellent and we were always asked, during the meal, whether we had enough food on the table, which was something i had not come across before. When the vegetables are served on one big plate, some people are afraid to help themselves to as much as they would eat at home in case they deprive others of their fair share, they might still feel hungry after their meal. But on this holiday, at mealtimes, we always ate as much as we liked and needed. We had a lovely lady coach driver who was an excellent driver and very good with people and we did not feel cramped for lack of space on the coach. The cost of the holiday was lower than that of many other holiday companies and yet the value for money exceeded that of other companies with whom i have booked holidays in the past. I cannot wait to book my next holiday with Lochs and Glens.

Room Tip: Book as early as you can if you want a room with a view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
9 Thank catherine w
Blackpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

We have visited many of the Loch and Glens Hotels in Scotland and can say without doubt that this hotel is the worst one. We were self drive visitors and were made to feel unwanted. We were given a room on the 3rd floor to which there is no lift and the heater did not work. We reported it to the manager who checked it out and told us there was nothing wrong with it. We were cold all night and did not get much sleep as the weather was very cold and wet. We reported it to reception the following morning and the lady we spoke to was very nice and she said she would move us later that day as the heater did not work. We were moved to room 3 on the ground floor. It was a warm room but not up to the expected standard experienced before at Lochs and Glens Hotels. The bathroom was not very clean and the shelf over the toilet was loose and underneath. The room looked shabby and underneath the television was a thick layer of dust. I put my finger through it which left a mark and the day after the dust had been cleaned away,the headboard was thick with dust as well. The furniture looked as if it had not been moved for cleaning for a long time. We were told later that this room was due to be updated later on in the year. We waited over an hour each evening to complete our evening meal as the service was poor as the staff concentrated on the coach customers first. The hotel is in a spectacular place overlooking the loch with great views up the loch. There is little parking at the rear of the hotel the main parking area being at least 300 yards from the hotel in a wooded area, as I am disabled it was not suitable and there was no designated disability parking close to the hotel. I have to say that the first room we were in was a beautiful room as it had just been updated but it did have a skylight window, which although it had a blind, let in the light making it difficult to sleep and during the night we were woken up by the loud noise made by the rain falling upon it. We enjoyed the holiday and the area around is truly beautiful however I feel that the hotel staff do not treat the self drive customers in the same way as the coach travellers.

Room Tip: The loch view rooms are the best.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kaz239
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I booked this hotel for a walking weekend for a friend and I, not as part of the usual Loch and Glens crowd. It was lovely. Pictureque hotel, lovely views of Loch Awe. We had booked B&B and the veggie breakfast was good. We also had dinner, again with a decent veggie option. The staff were delightful, very friendly and welcoming. The entertainment was crowd appropriate and the keyboard and vocals chap the first night was talented and eclectic! Never expected to here Equinox AND the Pink Panther Theme played in the same set :-)
Don't miss a visit to St Conan's Kirk and Kilchurn Castle. If you've got the energy for the ascent a trip up to the resevoir is beautiful (you can cheat and use the path opposite the Kirk to get there)
Really lovely stay, I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Falls Of Lora
Falls Of Lora
#1 of 2 in Connel
The Brander Lodge Hotel & Bistro

Been to Loch Awe Hotel? Share your experiences!