“My room on top of the Hulhumale inn was great”
Review of Hulhumale Inn

Hulhumale Inn
Ranked #33 of 78 Hulhumale B&B and Inns
nyc
“My room on top of the Hulhumale inn was great”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Loved the room, my own penthouse with a terrace fan and ac at the Hulhumale Inn.
Everything new and my bed was filled with roses as I arrived from my travel agent Ruth, Secretparadise.com. The staff was great especially the young smiling sweet breakfast man with the biggest "good morning" I have ever received.

Room Tip: My room faced the front of Inn. I believe it was 304 so 204 would be great too. I did not see other...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Ruth F, Executive Travel Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you for your positive feedback following your recent stay at Hulhumale Inn. Whilst perhaps the description of our Deluxe room as 'penthouse' is a slight over statement I am happy to know that this is how the room made you feel and that is obviously important. It is also pleasing to know that the team were friendly and welcoming and I will ensure your comments are shared with them.
Thank you again for your comments and we hope to be able to welcome you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The Maldives is a very colorful country, the white seas and spectral colors of the crystal clear water accent the vibrant blues and greens of the buildings, cars and streets, but what really made our experience on this fabulous isle filled with all sorts of color was our stay at the Hulhumale Inn.

At first glance, it is what is offered on the front door: an Inn, however, when given a chance, it becomes much more substantial. The rooms are cozy and practically furnished, giving a homely feel, there is a constant internet connection and a terrace with a kitchen open for even the latest of midnight snacks; all this seems basic and mundane and why anyone would want to be reminded of home when on vacation is a good question; I point all this out because what makes the HI a special place are the people working there.

Yes, while the Inn doesn't offer a shower with 17 different shower heads or a water bed or a swimming pool (though why anyone would want a swimming pool in the Maldives or why that much luxury is required is beyond me); what they provide as people is priceless. The staff of the HI have helped us on a countless number of occasions; Zaheen managed all of our bookings from snorkeling to island-hopping to any other excursion we felt like going on complete from when we left to when we got back. They even arranged it on the short notice of an hour beforehand with a smile on their faces. After we went snorkeling, as it was our first time, we were almost bedridden with exhaustion and it was getting late and we still weren't fit enough to go get dinner; Sobah, the operation manager, ordered food for us and then Pasha (I think that was his name, everyone seemed to call him that), I'd call him the guy who serviced our rooms but he was resident do-everything guy as
he cooked and cleaned and ran errands, even took it out of the styrofoam boxes and arranged it on plates before delivering it for us.

What impacted me most was how much effort they put into fixing the exhaust fan of our en suite bathroom. It stopped working during the evening hours and instead of dismissing us or saying they would get someone the next day to have a look at it (like most hotels), they got a multiple number of technicians to have a crack at fixing it. Unable to fix the problem, they apologized profusely and said they would arrange for some air fresheners to be placed. They went beyond the call of duty and they genuinely cared, and that's all you can really ask for.

I must acknowledge the shortcomings of the HI, as most of the world's problems are a result of people pretending like the problems don't exist. While the breakfast took a while to be prepared and there was loud construction work going on, there was a notice saying sorry for the noise, present at the front desk. As for the slow pace of the breakfast, if there is one thing I have come to know about the people of Maldives is that they are simple and slow paced but they lead a stress-free life; while we foreign urban creatures of speed thought they were slow, they were perfectly on time according to themselves. The whole point of visiting a foreign country is to learn new cultures and lifestyles and see how diversely people live elsewhere. If you are on vacation and you need to hurry, you aren't on vacation.

Moreover, they invited us to evening tea; the tea was great as it really displayed that the HI was more than a group of people who worked at a temporary housing establishment, it was a group of people who had become a family and they offered their home and hospitality to all those willing to stay with them. I send my utmost thanks to Ruth and Zaheen and Sobah and Pasha and the other members of staff I unfortunately never managed to step out of my anti-social bubble to ask their names for making this one of the greatest vacations I've ever been on.

-Shaheer Khan
17 year old son of Dr.Iftikhar Khan
Stayed in the Maldives from the 29th of December 2013 to the 1st of January 2014"

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Ruth F, Executive Travel Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for your exceptional review after your recent stay with us. It is nice to see that you have captured beautiful memories during your stay with Hulhumale Inn. Your valuable and encouraging comments will certainly motivate the team to continuously strive for excellence. Our goal is to ensure that guests who stay with us feel like we are their home away from home, which I can see in your review is what we've achieved. I will share your comments with the team and I am sure they will be happy to hear it. Hope to see you again in a near future.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We are living in the Maldives and had an early flight from Male plus a late arrival a week later. As the seaplanes are unreliable with their timings and only fly during daytime, we decided to book this hotel. We can highly recommend it, mainly because it decreases your stress levels during holiday. Everything was arranged perfectly and in a timely manner from the airport pick up to wake up calls, breakfast etc. The staff is very friendly and communication streams via email go quickly and efficiently. Cost is very low, but don't expect international 5* amenities. You get the basics you need for a quick overnight stay, so perfect for transit but maybe not for a full holiday.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Ruth F, Executive Travel Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments it is pleasing to learn that you were satisfied with our communication, transfers and services provided. I will ensure your comments are shared with the team. We enjoyed having you stay with us at Hulhumale Inn and we hope to see you again soon!
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Nothing special there. When I was there there was a water problem, noise from the repair. The breakfast was below average. The WiFi didn't work in my room. The staff were friendly but that's it. The beach is close by but the area were the hotel is somehow dirty. Perhaps this hotel is good for one night but if you plan to stay for long not a good idea. Spend more money and go to a nice resort.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Ruth F, Executive Travel Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you for providing your comments following your recent stay at Hulhumale Inn. It was unfortunate that you arrived following our unscheduled water leak. The emergency repairs which we limited to the hours of 9.30am - 5.30pm could not be delayed, details of which we highlighted in reception. I understand from reception that you had been unable to sleep during the afternoon due to the noise from the workmen and for this I apologise but as I'm sure you will understand it is not normal circumstances. All repairs are now complete and normal service has resumed so to speak!
Regarding breakfast, as a small establishment, we are unable to offer the range that would be found in a large hotel or resort, however, I believe that fresh fruit, cereal, eggs cooked your liking and toast provide a balanced start to the day, we also try to offer traditional mashuni and roshi when available to us.
WiFi is accessible throughout the property and if I recall correctly I did highlight to you personally that the signal strength is strongest in reception and on the terrace as we were discussing why we had to have three separate pass codes.
Finally to comment on your feelings of the area being 'dirty' it is fair to say that local islands are not as pristine as the resort islands, Local islands in the Maldives have only been open to tourists for just a little over 2 years and i can confidently say that the environment has improved greatly in that period of time and I'm sure will continue to do so. The benefit of staying on a local island for many is that it makes the Maldives far more affordable and whilst there is room for improvement local island tourism should not be compared with resort tourism.
Thank you again for your comments and we hope that you will return to the Maldives in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Hulhumale hotels

ooty
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Recently I stayed with my family here. It was good hotel. The staff were friendly, especially the Bangladesh guy . There is no lift facility. But good for a transit.or a 2 day stay. The beach is very near by. Indian Restaurant is also near by.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank rajeshooty
Ruth F, Execuive Travel Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay at Hulhumale Inn and thank you for providing your comments.
As most buidlings on Hulhumale can only be built to accomodate a maximum of 5 floors and most like ourselves are 4 floors, there is actually only one guesthouse on the island that offers a lift facility, however, as you are aware we do offer ground floor rooms and our team are always available to assisit with luggage.
Our aim is to provide our guetsts a comfortable and friendly stay and I'm glad to haer that you were made to feel welcome by the team, I will ensure your comments are shared with them.
Thank you again for your comments and we hope to welcome you once more in the future.
Milan, Italy
Reviewed January 2, 2014

we have spent only one night in this small and kind hotel, stopped in Hulhumale by a storm.
The room was nice and clean, moreover they have prepared us breakfast at 4:00 am!!
Perfect for reaching the airport by the free shuttle provided by the hotel

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Ruth F, Executive Travel Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Despite Hulhumale Inn being an unscheduled stop for you on your visit to the Maldives it is pleasing to hear that we exceeded your expectations!
Thank you for providing us with your feedback, I will ensure it is shared with the team
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Easy transfer to /from airport , High standard rooms , all mod cons and in heart of 'real' Maldivian area , many shops and cafes close by and beach round the corner. Ideal for short stay or base for local activities.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Ruth F, Executive Travel Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Thank you for taking a few moments of your time to provide us with your feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Hulhumale Inn and that our services and facilities met your requirements. I will ensure your comments are shared with the team. We hope we can welcome you again to our guesthouse in the future!