“Functional place, beware of certain things”
Review of Hulhumale Inn

Hulhumale Inn
Ranked #36 of 86 Hulhumale B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I recently stayed at the Inn during late March of 2013. I stayed with the sole purpose of using the hotel for transit since I arrived late in Male and would leave early the next day. Here is a short synopsis of my experience:

+ Prior to the trip, hotel staff were very responsive during email. This was good.
+ The greeter was very friendly and was very knowledgeable. He was filling in temporarily, but was good-natured and greeted me at the airport
- I was informed by the greeter that transportation is limited on the island. I had a shuttle scheduled, but due to limited availability and the fact I was told our plane arrived "late"-- which it wasn't reasonably late (I was out of customs 10 minutes after our arrival time), I would have to wait for 45 more min. before I could get a ride to the hotel. After 30 mins, I was fortunate to board a bus with the greeter and get to the hotel.
->I'm aware that transportation at 1AM can be limited, but this was a little frustrating after many hours of travel
->What's more frustrating is PAYING FOR SHUTTLE SERVICE and getting bus service instead. I tried to dispute the charge for a few minutes and that it should have been adjusted, but with the late hour, the greeter being a temp, and being in a fair enough mood to not argue over a bit of money, I let it go.

- No wake up call as promised. No phone in the room, but a knock could have been helfpul This would be key since I needed to get to the airport in the early AM. No problem, I set an alarm.

- I went downstairs confused as to the shuttle service back to the airport. No one at the front desk, but a man in the kitchen. It was 15-minutes before the time I was earlier told I would have to catch the shuttle. There was a communication problem and I opted instead to wait for the shuttle "just in case" instead of having breakfast. Still no one at the front desk, I put the room key on the front-desk keyboard and boarded the shuttle.

All in all, the Inn is functional for a night's rest and a shower. I understand the difficulties of an under-resourced island, but the stay was a little confusing and not the way I wanted to start my vacation. I've experienced better staff experiences at guest houses and inns in other "more austere" places.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank B I
Ruth F, Executive Travel Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Thank you for your comments following your visit to Hulhumale Inn recently, your honest and balanced feedback is appreciated and highlights that despite the best intentions things can still go wrong.
Your experience is unacceptable and together with the Operations Manager I will investigate to understand why the issues you highlight happened and what actions need to be taken to address the situation in order that this does not happen again.
If you would like to contact me directly through the Hulhumale Inn web site I would be more than happy to offer you reimbursement of the transfer costs at the very least, which I hope will go some way to compensating you for a disappointing start to your holiday in the Maldives.
Thank you once again for your comments which will assist us in making changes to benefit future guests.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed in the Hulhumale Inn for one night, arriving on a late flight and leaving on a live aboard the next day.

The Inn is clean, comfortable and no frills. Everything works just fine, the staff are super friendly and it's good value if you need to crash for a night before heading out to the atolls.

It's accessible by road from the airport which is a bonus, arrange the transfer before you arrive to avoid hanging around the arrivals hall (grim).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Clarabellestar
Ruth F, Executive Travel Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Hulhumale Inn and provide your comments. It is pleasing to hear that you feel Hulhumale Inn is value for money, as our aim is to deliver affordable, clean and comfortable accomodation and also that the team provided friendly service. I will ensure your comments are shared with them.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed in the Hulhumale Inn for 3 nights in February 2013. Here are our experiences:

pro:
- the staff is friendly and we could bargain a special price for the room because we stayed three nights and chose the deluxe room (it offers more space, bigger bathroom, small balcony)
- the rooms are clean
- the breakfast was ok, they offer cornflakes, fruit juice, fresh fruits, toast, jam, eggs in different varieties (scrambles, cooked, fried, ...), instant coffee

con:
- the internet access was a disaster. There was only access in the lobby (where it was freezing cold because of the air con) and it was really really slow. Almost impossible to read mails or opening internet pages.
- on the left and right site of the hotel are constructions going on to build new hotels. The craftsmen startet their work at 7 a.m. and didn't stop before 7 p.m. It was very noisy.
- the TV was just working the first evening (CNN and national geographic were in english, the third TV transmitter was a local one). Next morning the programmes weren't reachable because the hotel hadn't payed for the programmes and the operator blocked the access.
- the airconditioning in our room was on the opposite site of the bed, which means that the cold air hit us directly while lying in bed during the night.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gelini22
Ruth F, Executive Travel Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Thank you for both your positive comments and the improvement opportunities. I was sorry to learn that you were disppointed with aspects of your recent stay at Hulhumale Inn, had you made a member of the team aware of your concerns we would have done our best to address them during your stay.
Hulhumale is still a developing island having only been inexistance for just under 15 years and therefore building works at times are still in progress in many parts of the island. We do try to maintain a good relationship with the contractor of the adjacent building in order to minimise noise levels between 8pm and 9am and I have had another conversation with him today to highlight your concerns.The building works are due to be completed by end of February 2013.
In relation to the WiFi, the coverage by our provider is not at all times, as you experienced, to full strength in all areas of the guesthouse. This can be due to a number of reasons, however, we have to remember that the Maldives is a country that is so spead out there are still some blindspots or loss of signal even within the capital area. Whilst in reception the team would have been more than happy to turn the AC off to make the temperature more comfortable for you.
Regarding the issue with the television, the fact that you did not have access to the channels apart from your first evening is totally unacceptable and I have already spoken to the Operations Manager to ensure there is a process in place to check that payment has been made in good time.
Finally, concerning the air conditioning, all rooms are provided with AC and ceiling fans in order to provide guests with options of maintaining room temperature. Each of the AC units can also have the flow and direction of air adjusted which should prevent cold air being blown onto you directly. Personally, I always find it comfortable to have the air flow directed to the ceiling.
Thank you once again for your feedback, it is only through comments from our guests that we can continue to improve the service that we provide future guests.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

The staffs were the nicest people!We were greeted with smiles and good service.One night we got back late and found that two of them were waiting for us outside the door.It was nearly midnight and yet they gave us smiles.Breakfast was good,and again provided with good service too.One of them served us a bowl of papayas at our table.

The location was good as the beach was just 5 minutes walk away.There's also a grocery store and a few local cafes.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DGWate

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Hulhumale Inn, I am pleased to read the team at Hulhumale Inn provided good service whatever the time of day! I will ensure your comments are shared with them.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Everything was perfect! Communication with Ruth was excellent, I booked directly, by e-mail. This way you save some cash. The representative was waiting for us at the airport. The room is big and clean. Breakfast is excellent, papaya is delicious! Having tea and ness cafe at disposal all day long and night, denotes such a good welcoming. The terrace for breakfast on the roof is really nice. You can use as well the kitchen if you feel like cooking. I prefer to eat near-by at a local restaurant, were food is such delicious and the price is like 5 USD for two persons, eating whatever you like. We stayed 2 nights then then we (me and my wife) left for an island booked already, otherwise i would have choose to stay here all long. Then we return for another 2 nights more to spend here, and we brought with us 2 new friends to join us. They cancelled they reservation in Male and chosen Hulhumale Inn. The location is beautiful. Only one minute to beach, which is clean and even has a pool. Local shops are all around. The area is nice and aerated, not as crowded as in Male. For Male you can take the ferry for a visit. The cost for ferry to Male is like 6 rufia one way, which is less than a dollar for both ways. You can pay in USD everywhere. People is honest and do not cheat. 1 USD is 15.4 rufia. Ruth and the personnel are more than nice and gives you the needed information and advice. I will return happy to this place and I will have dives with Ruth. Pay in cash to avoid the maldivian tax of paying by card.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dorrrian
Ruth F, Executive Sales Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you for your positive comments Dorrian, it was our pleasure having you both stay with us and we look forward to your future visit. Hopefully next time we will, as you say, get you in the water diving!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I found the hotel to be in a great location, easy to walk everywhere from there. The breakfast every morning was great. The bed was comfortable and I had a great vacation. I hope to get back there some day soon!

Room Tip: There is some construction going on around the island...sometimes that starts early-bring earplugs i...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lynn H
Ruth F, Executive Travel Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, it is always pleasing to learn when our guests have enjoyed their stay with us and I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team. We hope to welcome you back to Hulhumale Inn again in the future.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Room is clean, service is excellent! Location is perfect as it's about 5 (or less) minutes to the jetty (to get a boat to Male), and it's also near to the airport (5-10 minutes).

Suitable for a laid back trip as the place is quiet and there's not much activities surrounding it. Take a boat to Male to see the night life or for shopping. Just stay by the beautiful beach (2 minutes walk from the inn)

We would stay here again if we return to Maldives.

Thank you to the staff there !

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank N A

Thank you for your positive comments I will ensure they are passed onto the team. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back to Hulhumale Inn again in the future.