“Great little pub”

The Golden Cross
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We go most Thursday nights when they have low key live music, which makes for a great atmosphere. It's really lovely food and slightly smaller portions so there's often room for pud!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

just returned from sharing a lovely birthday meal with 19yr old son here. This time of year it is often difficult to get a great (non xmas) family meal in a foodie pub but this was outstanding. The service was pleasant, knowledgeable and efficient. The food was sublime - I had a slow roasted belly pork with red cabbage and mash with shallot jus - delicious and clearly prepared with care, birthday boy had a great steak and the chicken burger was huge and freshly prepared. The beer was good too (I have it on good authority) I will be back and recommend a visit.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Disappointing. We have had some nice meals at the Golden Cross, but have not been there for some years. I had a steak which was tasteless, close on rare when I requested medium, and with a blue cheese sauce where the cook was economical with the cheese. The chips were superb. My wife had some delicious mullet, but a very small helping with no vegetables; these are available separately at extra charge, which I disapprove of when the dish is far from cheap. Desserts however were excellent but at £5.25 perhaps a little above average. This was a pity as it is a pleasant traditional pub/restaurant, with a wide choice including a limited taster menu for those with smaller appetites. In my opinion within 4-5 miles there are several establishments which offer better food or value or both.

Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I have not been to this pub for around 10 years and was pleasantly surprised to see a complete transformation, we visited on a drizzly, cold Monday lunchtime and the place was quite busy, Staff very friendly and on the ball with the service. My husband and I opted for the taster menu, there was a good selection of light bites, starters, and main courses along with sandwiches and viewing the other diners fare it all seemed to look very generous portions and fresh. Our food arrived quickly after ordering, chicken liver pâté and root veg soup, both generous portions, followed by haddock in crispy batter with chips and homemade with chips and mushy peas. Both of us were feeling full but managed to share a delicious portion of local ice cream. Hubby especially enjoyed the Purity ales. We will return soon but making a note to go next summer and sit out in the beautiful garden. Definitely one to try.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Used to be local, and I used to go there a fair bit. A lovely looking pub, almost certainly one of the nicest in the area. Staff are a wonderful bunch and the service is very good. Food does not disappoint. Well worth a visit.