“Disappointing”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Alcester, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Disappointing. We have had some nice meals at the Golden Cross, but have not been there for some years. I had a steak which was tasteless, close on rare when I requested medium, and with a blue cheese sauce where the cook was economical with the cheese. The chips were superb. My wife had some delicious mullet, but a very small helping with no vegetables; these are available separately at extra charge, which I disapprove of when the dish is far from cheap. Desserts however were excellent but at £5.25 perhaps a little above average. This was a pity as it is a pleasant traditional pub/restaurant, with a wide choice including a limited taster menu for those with smaller appetites. In my opinion within 4-5 miles there are several establishments which offer better food or value or both.

• Visited November 2012

“Well worth a visit.”
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I have not been to this pub for around 10 years and was pleasantly surprised to see a complete transformation, we visited on a drizzly, cold Monday lunchtime and the place was quite busy, Staff very friendly and on the ball with the service. My husband and I opted for the taster menu, there was a good selection of light bites, starters, and main courses along with sandwiches and viewing the other diners fare it all seemed to look very generous portions and fresh. Our food arrived quickly after ordering, chicken liver pâté and root veg soup, both generous portions, followed by haddock in crispy batter with chips and homemade with chips and mushy peas. Both of us were feeling full but managed to share a delicious portion of local ice cream. Hubby especially enjoyed the Purity ales. We will return soon but making a note to go next summer and sit out in the beautiful garden. Definitely one to try.

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Shame I moved away”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Used to be local, and I used to go there a fair bit. A lovely looking pub, almost certainly one of the nicest in the area. Staff are a wonderful bunch and the service is very good. Food does not disappoint. Well worth a visit.

• Visited November 2011
Athens, Greece
“Great food, lovely pub!”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Been here a few times with family and friends and it has been wonderful each time! The food has always been delicious and the service is fantastic! I have tried the Sunday lunch which is really tasty and came with a large bowl of fresh vegetables for the table so that we could help ourselves. We have also had breads and oil/balsamic vinegar for starters. There is one fairly young chap that works behind the bar and he is really friendly and cannot do enough to help! The food always arrives promptly and there is a good selection of drinks available behind the bar. The desserts are incredible and vary depending upon what ingredients they have in stock. I have yet to be even a little disappointed by this place and will continue to visit!

• Visited September 2012
Alcester, United Kingdom
“Good for Sunday lunch”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Two couples went for Sunday lunch. Three of us had the Sunday lunch and I had turbot. The restaurant was light and airy and the service was friendly and good. The food was quite satisfactory especially the blackcurrent(sic) bakewell and the sticky toffee pudding.

• Visited July 2012