Our week long stay at Reef View Apartments (in the ground floor Seaview Apartment) was wonderful. From the moment Karoll met us at the airport we felt like old friends. The option of having a BBQ dinner the night of our arrival was great as it was late to go out and find somewhere to eat. Nick and Karoll are great cooks and the meal was excellent with great attention to presentation. Also the option of pre-paying for some essential breakfast food for the first morning was great.
The rooms were very comfortable, clean and well appointed with everything one needs provided. The bed was comfortable, linens clean and pressed with lots of towels. There was usually a breeze blowing through the windows, although the rooms had fans and the option of A/C.
The ambience of the garden with flowering plants, ocean knicknacks, and animals added to the charm of the place. Its location near the beach allowed for early morning walks where all sorts of wildlife, both land and marine, could be spotted. Its slightly rural location on Cades Bay made it a nice quiet spot, but easy to get anywhere else on the island. There were lots of restaurants of all types closeby and a big grocery store a few minutes away by car or bus.
Having travelled in many parts of the world, I can say Antigua felt very safe. The apartment did have a locked safe for valuables and the place felt very secure. The dogs were excellent security guards.... barking hello and wagging their tails.
Karoll's "first morning orientation to Antigua" provided great information on attractions, restaurants and beaches. Nick and Karoll are both experienced in diving, snorkelling, fishing and boating, and they offer unique tours and charters. We spent a day on their boat snorkelling with them which was a unique opportunity to see the reef and learn about the marine life. They are both very knowledgeable and work hard to make sure you have a great day - wonderful for those of us not absolutely comfortable taking off to explore a reef. We saw hundreds of fish of all sorts of species - I even came, quite literally, face-to-face with a nurse shark! A much more personal experience than the usual dive/snorkelling tour boat!!! We learned so much and were able to idenfiy all sorts of fish and marine life by the end of the day.
For the traveller who wants to avoid the resort stay, this is a wonderful option. There are not many of these type of self-catered apartments in Antigua, but I do highly recommend this one. In addition, the rum punches are excellent as is Karoll's rum cake!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ReefView Apartments consist of three unique and fully equipped self catering holiday/vacation homes - each with full bathroom and kitchen - set in lush tropical gardens affording spectacular panoramic views of Antigua's famous Cades Reef just 1 mile offshore as well as neighbouring islands of Montserrat, Guadeloupe and Redonda. ReefView Apartments is located on the shores of the Cades Bay Marine Reserve in a quiet residential hamlet - just 100m from a long deserted sandy beach, fringed with coconut palms, with walk in snorkeling available right off the beach. The shallows flats which front the apartments for miles in each direction are also a haven for sports fishermen - offering shots at hard fighting game species such as tarpon, permit, snook, snapper and barracuda - to name but a few.... Ideal for independent travelers, who enjoy long beach walks in beautiful natural surroundings, exploring the many interesting facets of Antigua's history and geography and immersing themselves in the local culture to provide an experience far removed from the generic experience offered by most other resorts. Owned and operated by long time Antigua residents - Karoll and Nick Williams - we are always on hand to help you get orientated and to know THE REAL ANTIGUA!!! We very much look forward to welcoming you to our little piece of paradise - down by the sea..... ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Reefview Apartments Hotel Cades Bay
- Reef View Apartments Antigua
- Reef View Apartments Hotel Antigua
- ReefView Apartments Antigua/Cades Bay