So, I couldn't resist the lure of another holiday to Antigua, & having had such a great time last time felt I had to return to Reefview... We stayed in the very romantic cottage apartment, which was built by Nick's own hands, which was lovely. The sea breeze kept the apartment cool at night, & we were woken up to a beautiful view over the reef in the mornings. We even manger to cook up a couple of feasts from the so well designed galley kitchen, & the outdoor shower...well...brilliant!!
Aside from that, we certainly weren't disappointed by the island's surprises...and a new fish to stalk...Tarpon. I'd never fly fished before, but Nick was a great teacher (with fortunately a lot of much needed patience!). It meant a few early morning starts, but once I'd 'mastered' the art of the rod, which was almost straight away under nick's guidance, I experienced a side of Antigua that I'd never seen before. I'm never normally a pre-sunrise person, but the tranquility of the waters, stalking the rising fish was awesome...and then to finally hook one, play it, and land it was fantastic. And then another, and another... I even managed to persuade Nick to go for a sunset session, before a beer on the beach-another world that in still dreaming of!
Apart from that, we had a lovely day out in Little Mermaid again, did some amazing snorkelling off Cades Reef, seeing loads of beautifully coloured fish, several turtles, nurse sharks and even an eagle ray. I don't know if Nick has some way of communicating with the sealife, but they certainly seemed to turn up as asked for! We took their kayaks out one day down to the empty beaches at Curtain Bluff and Carlisle Bay-it was hard work, but well worth the trip and yet another way to see Antigua (although not quite the quantity of wildlife nick managed to conjure up).
We had a few days at the beaches which were stunning-the beauty of not staying in a resort was the freedom to come and go wherever we wanted. In fact the one disappointing trip to the beach was at the beach at Jolly Harbour. All we wanted was a quiet drink at Castaways, and the staff were great, but we were persistently harassed by people touting boat trips & selling 'charity' CDs! It was straight back to the tranquility and seclusion of Reefview for us! However one place not to miss, is a trip to Chappy's for lunch/dinner at Erling's Harbour-lovely local food, at local prices, in a local surrounding... and only a 5 minute stroll from Reefview.
So all in all, another awesome holiday at the hands of the second-to-none hospitality of Nick and Karoll (my memories of the welcome fish BBQ with obligatory rum punch are making me hungry right now!!). It may have been 'Hurricane season', but we had amazing weather, with no hint of trouble. It's a risk to take going then apparently, but the payback is absolutely no one else around, and deserted, beautiful beaches & seas. If you're thinking of doing it, go for it, and see a different side to the all inclusive resorts, and seek out the gems the Reefview posse has to offer-if you don't tap them for the invaluable local knowledge they have, you WILL miss out!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ReefView Apartments consist of three unique and fully equipped self catering holiday/vacation homes - each with full bathroom and kitchen - set in lush tropical gardens affording spectacular panoramic views of Antigua's famous Cades Reef just 1 mile offshore as well as neighbouring islands of Montserrat, Guadeloupe and Redonda. ReefView Apartments is located on the shores of the Cades Bay Marine Reserve in a quiet residential hamlet - just 100m from a long deserted sandy beach, fringed with coconut palms, with walk in snorkeling available right off the beach. The shallows flats which front the apartments for miles in each direction are also a haven for sports fishermen - offering shots at hard fighting game species such as tarpon, permit, snook, snapper and barracuda - to name but a few.... Ideal for independent travelers, who enjoy long beach walks in beautiful natural surroundings, exploring the many interesting facets of Antigua's history and geography and immersing themselves in the local culture to provide an experience far removed from the generic experience offered by most other resorts. Owned and operated by long time Antigua residents - Karoll and Nick Williams - we are always on hand to help you get orientated and to know THE REAL ANTIGUA!!! We very much look forward to welcoming you to our little piece of paradise - down by the sea..... ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Reefview Apartments Hotel Cades Bay
- Reef View Apartments Antigua
- Reef View Apartments Hotel Antigua
- ReefView Apartments Antigua/Cades Bay