My batteries have once again been recharged with my second visit to what is becoming my favourite place to stay in the Caribbean.
This time I chose to take a friend with me and we stayed in the Penthouse with fantastic views. I had fully intended to hire a car and explore a bit more of the island this time.
Nick and Karoll though encouraged us to take the buses and I am so glad that we did as we got to enjoy the Antiguan way of life and meet many of the local people. We were invited for a cookery lesson to make a delicious callaloo and crab soup with interesting vegetables that I have never used before such as okra and callaloo. Then we got invited to a funeral of an old lady in Sawcolts a tiny little village just near the rain forest. Everyone was so smart and the singing was lovely. We ventured into St Johns City and really enjoyed buying local beaded handicrafts from wandering vendors and enjoying our first roti and freshly made tamarind and passion juice in a small west indian cafe. But most of all we enjoyed wandering down with our chairs to one of our favourite spots on the beach in front of the apartment and just watching the birds and boats passing by or exploring all the sandy bays along the coastline looking for shells. Nick kindly brought down our picnic cooler for us to save us two trips and it was easy to while away the hours and watch the gorgeous sunsets. Nick took us out on his boat one day for an adventure and we found many starfish and drank cocktails in the sea. These memories will get me through the winter months now until the next time I need some pampering in the sunshine.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ReefView Apartments consist of three unique and fully equipped self catering holiday/vacation homes - each with full bathroom and kitchen - set in lush tropical gardens affording spectacular panoramic views of Antigua's famous Cades Reef just 1 mile offshore as well as neighbouring islands of Montserrat, Guadeloupe and Redonda. ReefView Apartments is located on the shores of the Cades Bay Marine Reserve in a quiet residential hamlet - just 100m from a long deserted sandy beach, fringed with coconut palms, with walk in snorkeling available right off the beach. The shallows flats which front the apartments for miles in each direction are also a haven for sports fishermen - offering shots at hard fighting game species such as tarpon, permit, snook, snapper and barracuda - to name but a few.... Ideal for independent travelers, who enjoy long beach walks in beautiful natural surroundings, exploring the many interesting facets of Antigua's history and geography and immersing themselves in the local culture to provide an experience far removed from the generic experience offered by most other resorts. Owned and operated by long time Antigua residents - Karoll and Nick Williams - we are always on hand to help you get orientated and to know THE REAL ANTIGUA!!! We very much look forward to welcoming you to our little piece of paradise - down by the sea..... ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Reefview Apartments Hotel Cades Bay
- Reef View Apartments Antigua
- Reef View Apartments Hotel Antigua
- ReefView Apartments Antigua/Cades Bay