All reviewscycle pathfree range eggsunisex toiletinformation roomwashing machinehot wateron arrivalawningelectricitypitcheschickenspubsloosfieldshowerfacilitiesteignmouth
Reviewed August 29, 2017

This is great and pretty site with the lake and stream and flat pitches. Good location within walking distance of the pubs in Cockwood and Ferry to Exmouth.

However, the toilet and shower facilities let it down. There is a single toilet and single shower room for men, another single toilet and single shower for women, plus one unisex toilet. so that's 1 and a half toilets for men and the same for women and a shower each, except the mens shower was not working even though it ate my £1 coin.

So its a struggle to have a shower and also use the toilet at busy times. I suppose for caravaners not a problem but for tents it is. A simple breeze block outhouse with a few toilets and showers would get a 5 star from me.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2017 via mobile

Having read the last review left on here (28 July 2017) only a few days ago I feel I must comment as I was staying on the campsite at the same time, to start with to say the grass under the awning was very wet and unpleasant may have had something to do with the couple days of heavy downpours the site suffered during both our stays, there was 2 of you to my family of 5 (plus dog) and we had no problems whatsoever.
Also I can't believe you put a negative on the fact Paul has put down block paved pitches where you were situated, I'd rather that than gravel any day and my awning went down on the grass lovely.
I also find it strange you were so bothered about the facilities when you have a £10k+ caravan equipped with luxury shower and hot water like myself.
The only thing I could slightly agree with you on is the entrance could do with a couple tonnes of stone as there was a bit of a lip to the tarmac.

On the whole me and my family had a superb week on the same site, Paul the owner made us feel very welcome from the first day and nothing was too much trouble. Hunters lodge is a small idyllic and peaceful site for just a handful of campers and I feel this is reflected on the facilities.

Everyone is entitled to there opinions and to leave a review but I feel if it wasn't these issues you'd have found something else to knock the site, just before you left you were complaining Paul wouldn't give you a refund as you were leaving a day early as well if your the same person I think you are.

Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank Ash G
Reviewed July 28, 2017

Firstly, the setting was lovely. Made up of 3 fields, 2 of which were very slopey. The third had 4 hard stand pitches for caravans. A hardstand is usually gravel through which pegs can be driven to secure an awning. Not these - the hardstand was only big enough for the caravan and it was made from block pavers. The area for the awning was on grass and in my view, pointless. It rained a good bit whilst we were there so the grass under the awning was very wet and unpleasant.
The facilities, although very clean, were too few. There was one ladies shower, one toilet, and another unisex toilet. At one point on the site I counted 8 units. The decent sized ladies area contained an electric shower, a basin and a toilet. If someone was using either the toilet, or the shower then the whole area was unavailable to anyone else. The unisex toilet contained a toilet a basin and a stainless steel kitchen sink !!!
The water was in the field with the hardstands, but the chemical toilet and the recycling units were in another field.
The entrance to the site from the road was a fairly steep descent, made worse because the slope also had a fairly sharp bend in it. Also because of all this, leaving the site was perilous as you were totally unsighted of the road, which had a 70 mph speed limit. We made it out safely, but to have to stop halfway up this incline would have difficult to say the least, as caravans are not really good at hill starts.
If I have not managed to put you off yet, I must mention that there was NO hot water anywhere on site for either hand, clothes, or dirty dishes. However it did have a washing machine, but that was in the information room!! The whole places was chaotic

Stayed: July 2017, traveled as a couple
HuntersLodgeCamping, Owner at Hunters Lodge Caravan and Camping Site, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, I am disappointed to hear you feel your stay was not up to your expectations.

When you arrived you were offered a choice of pitches, the hardstanding’s are block pavers and are plumb level for the units to park on with the awning on the grass. I always make sure that I familiarise my guests with the facilities on site, even down to the best way to walk into the village and catch the bus and explore the local area. As for the weather I think all the sites in the areas have suffered with the rain.

The chemical toilet disposal is in the next field but literally a very short distance from where you were staying so don’t really see this as an issue. Also the other pitch I offered you was much closer if that was an issue for you.

We are a small CS site and at the time of your stay during High Season we had 5 units and 3 tents. The toilets and showers are cleaned daily and I am pleased you found them clean, we did not notice anyone queuing for the facilities during your stay.

Unlike other small CS sites we have many additional facilities to make your stay more enjoyable, including a small room with a deep sink for washing up in the dry, washing machine, charging socket and a display of local attraction leaflets to help customers make the most of their stay.

We are very fortunate to be situated in a fantastic location, close to the coast, a short walk from the local bus and train network, on the outskirts of the delightful Exe Estuary Village of Starcross with a passenger ferry to Exmouth. Not forgetting lovely local Devonshire pubs just a 15 min walk away. What’s not to like…

Reviewed May 11, 2017

Lovely country site with geese and goslings but not quiet as the traffic thunders by all through the night but the main drawback is the lack of hot water on the site. No hot water in the basins in the loos to wash your hands and the shower demands a £1.00 coin and then does not work. The shower tray is very slippy resulting in a fall when all it needs is a rubberised mat and these facilities could be cleaner? All in all not the best value for money.

Stayed: May 2017
HuntersLodgeCamping, Owner at Hunters Lodge Caravan and Camping Site, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review Hunters Lodge. Sorry to hear your stay was not as expected. There is a lane nearby that does get busy on/off, unfortunately when you stayed there seemed to be lorry’s on turnaround overnight moving earth from a local building site, I have complained about the noise but it did seem to be a one off incident.

We are a small Caravan and Camping Club CS site and only offer a small number of pitches, many CS sites do not have facilities at all and we have gone to great lengths to provide the facilities we have on site. I personally clean the toilets and showers at 7am every morning so I am surprised that you feel they could be cleaner. I run this site on my own and work hard to keep everything to the best of my ability. The showers are electric and I have to charge £1 to cover the cost and to keep from people hogging the facilities and when busy everyone gets a chance to have a shower. For hygiene reasons I am not able to provide a mat in the shower.

I would like to say that I am disappointed that you were not able to point out any issues whilst staying with me, I would have been happy to talk to you at the time.

Regards, Paul

Reviewed March 27, 2017

Quiet very small site with limited but clean facilities I.e showers. Great location for bus, train and cycle path links to Exeter or rest of coast. Easy walk to three pubs, shop and 9 hole golf course.

Stayed: March 2017, traveled as a couple

Thank you for a lovely review, I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay with Hunters Lodge. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Kind regards, Paul.