“Only one word for it ...... desperate!”

The Olive Tree @ The Countryman's
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British, Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Probably the worst meal I have ever had! So bad it was actually hilarious, Fawlty Towers was obviously based on experiences at this place. Need I say more .......

1  Thank Happeeee

Reviewed June 22, 2014

I bought a groupon voucher as this pub is local to me and I was looking forward to a couple of child free hours with my partner - it was so disappointing.
On arrival we found that despite booking a month ahead we weren't down (on the a4 sheet of paper, no diary)
We then ordered some drinks, no draught cider, it had leaked all over the cellar apparently, no lime cordial for my lime and lemon, no bottled cider.
After sitting in the bar to read the menu, I noticed that it was different to the one advertised when I bought the voucher, after overhearing the waitress talking to another customer it seems like there is a new chef, why they couldn't have cooked the same food seems odd
Once shown to our table the food was swiftly brought out, mine 3 mushrooms in batter with garlic mayo and fried bread (?!) my partner had the soup which was homemade and also lukewarm.
The mains soon followed, my partner had ordered the chicken breast with stuffing, what arrived was a over cooked lump of meat without any form of stuffing and this whole plate was stone cold - needless to say he barely ate any of it. My beef dinner was passable.
Dessert consisted of a lemon sponge and the tiniest sliver of banoffee pie both of which were dusted a bit heavy handed with icing sugar.
Throughout the meal I could hear that various food items had run out as they were exceptionally busy today - this was at 1.30pm, not sure what the later diners would have been able to eat.
No mention of coffee being offered despite it being part of the deal.
I settled up my bar bill which for a pint, appletiser and lemonade came to £8.70 REALLY?
All in all really disappointing and despite it being on my doorstep I won't be returning.

1  Thank clanmudd
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Just arrived home from the countrymans inn, bedale and felt compelled to tell people about our experience, we had bought a voucher from groupon and decided to try, well what a load of rubbish! My husband and I both chose the beef as a main after a substandard prawn cocktail (tried to find the prawns!) and a not so bad garlic mushrooms. The beef was tasteless,frozen Yorkshire puds and run of the mill veg ie, peas carrots cauliflower, I did tell Kiera the waitress how I felt and she said ' I will let them know ' we left after my husband had returned from the washroom and said to me we were leaving as the toilets were filthy, so we did not have dessert or coffee, which was included in our voucher. What I don't understand is why.? Sunday lunch is the easiest meal to cook with a bit of effort so will be telling all my friends about my experience and WONT be back

Reviewed April 28, 2014

We were lucky enough to have found a Groupon deal for Sunday lunch at this lovely village pub. We enjoyed 3 courses, and, coffee in very conducive surroundings. The staff were extremely attentive, friendly and efficient. Mein Host was very welcoming and we are more than likely to return. Anyone taking the opportunity to eat at the Countryman's will love the puddings - Strawberry Tart mmmmm

1  Thank HELEGRAN
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I can safely say this was perhaps the worst sunday lunch I have ever had. We went on a groupon so fortunately it was not full price, but certainly not worth even what we did pay. Starters were just about acceptable but completely spoiled by some horrible sweet packet French toast instead of crusty bread, or indeed any type of proper bread. Main course we both chose pork because after glancing at the beef served at the adjoining table, it seemed like the wisest choice. Pork looked as though it had just come out of a vacuum pack, thin uniform and believe it or not square in shape and absolutely tasteless. No crackling, probably can't vacuum pack that, no apple sauce and awful frozen Yorkshire puds covered with tasteless brown stuff which I presume was gravy. Veg was slightly better though why would you throw a few bits of bacon in with peas and the cauliflower had a strange taste.
Restaurant manager told us the puddings were made by his Gordon Ramsey trained son but I will bet that they were out of some inferior freezer section of a cheap supermarket. We will definitely not be back.
My criticism is not of the pub section. The landlord and his staff were very pleasant but he should be careful who he lets manage the restaurant