“Lovely friendly and comfortable hotel”

and 1 more site!
Gibbon Bridge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chipping
Yorkshire
“Lovely friendly and comfortable hotel”
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Just returned from a two night break at the Gibbon Bridge hotel, booked by my husband for my birthday. The hotel is so comfortable and we felt very relaxed. Our room was lovely (a little noisy first thing in the morning as it was above the lounge and they obviously sorted out the coal fire and the log basket!!) but we still enjoyed it. The food was wonderful and the portions were fine for all four of us. We would certainly visit the hotel again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2011

Stayed for one night and won't be repeating the process. Arrived early and was greeted warmly. We asked to wait inside for the arrival of another couple. No problem so far but as we had to wait an hour it would've been nice to have been directed to the lounge area and informed when the other couple arrived.
We were pointed in the direction our rooms which were located in the annex above the bakery. The staircase and landing area reminded my partner and I of the TV series Crossroads and half expected Benny to appear? The entrance to this part of the hotel and for that matter, the whole of the premises, felt rather souless. The room itself was on two floors and was spacious enough if a bit too chintzy for our tastes. Furniture in our room seemed to clash, with pieces mis-matched and at odds with each other. I feel the decor was in when 'in' was the eighties. To complete the timewarp feel a selection of periodicals was provided to peruse at your leisure. I chose Lancashire Life, October(?) 2007 - vintage. Still I could at least enjoy one of the two flatscreen tv's provided.
. Well we would if we could make out what we were watching through the snowstorm reception on both sets. Don't worry, it's the telly not your eyesight. Just as well really, the number of channels are the same as the eighties too!
The area the hotel is situated in is truely beautiful. Great for walking and the hotel even promote this too. A word of warning though. Ensure only one person gets sweaty/dirty. Only one person per room can have a bath - fact. My wife endulged in a well earned deep, hot bath after a walk. She then attempted to fill the bath for me with hot water only to find a cascade of icy cold tap water. Yes reader, belive it or not, in the year of our Lord 2011, in a 'luxury' hotel - no hot water!! OMG!! A phone call to reception revealed that, allegedly, the previous "guests this morning must've abused it". I have truely heard it all. Still, it's in keeping with the eighties theme, this time it's the plumbing. So I had to sit there while the, according to reception, the immersion heater warmed up. An hour and a quarter later I managed a tepid shower and didn't dare shave in case we ran out again?? 50p For the meter perhaps?
The evening meal was delicious but a word of advice - eat before you go. The portions a microscopic and almost always at a supplement. We could've got the lot on a small bap an made a really expensive sandwich. As an aside check out the eighties bank uniforms the staff wear, all that was missing was the mullet and tight perms. Best advice? Eat out, the Inn at Whitewell is great and has hot water I believe. For a laugh, while you let that huge meal digest, try and spot the hideous porcelain figurines dotted about the lounge area. Roll up those jacket sleeves and get the pencil tie out.
The bill for a trip in the TARDIS back to the eighties - £200!!! Kerching!! My wife and I have, for the record, stayed at The Balmoral( Edinburgh), The Grosvenor(Chester) and The Lowry(Manchester) all for considerably less. All contemporary with the 'wow' factor and all serving great food. The Gibbon Bridge Hote is from another chintzy, overpriced age - perhaps a beauty once, now aging and overlooked by all but a few less concerning customers. In a great hotel you never want to leave. We were last out of the door after breakfast at half ten(ish). The car park was empty. Enough said.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank choosyboy
Janet8219, Owner at Gibbon Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
Thank you for your comments which we take on board. We realise that our décor and style will not be to everybody’s taste but we are a Country Hotel where guests can come to relax and feel comfortable. Our cuisine is fine dining and we are always happy to provide more bread and vegetables if requested, at no extra cost, as we would not want anyone to leave hungry. With regard to menu supplements we would point out that out of a choice of 10 starters and 10 main courses there are currently three choices with supplements payable. We are surprised that you found us "souless" as many of our guests return year after year, and comment on how much they enjoy the friendly ambience.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2011

if you're looking for a standard package from a numb international chain of safe places this isn't for you!

If you're looking for a Lancashire welcome from a team of local people who want to go the extra mile you can't go wrong with the GB.

And the grub is bob on - home made bread and local produce - trendy - but they were doing local when Hugh F-W was in short keks!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Blackburn
Reviewed January 7, 2011

We have enjoyed Christmas Day lunch at Gibbon Bridge for several years and not been disappointed till now. There was no choice of starters and Christmas pudding or last nights remnants for sweet did not inspire! Service was ok at best and we were given a basket of stale bread at the outset for which we had to ask for a replacement. The lame excuse was "It was all made this morning so I honestly don't know how that happened". Oh really, perhaps it was a leftover from the previous night. Final travesty was being charged extra for coffee. All in all not the experience we were looking forward to escpecially when paying premium price in advance. Sorry to say this has tarnished our view of this place and we will not be going back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Janet8219, Owner at Gibbon Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2011
We were disappointed to read your comments about Christmas day and also that you have not felt able to contact us directly over your concerns. The menu for the day has been put together based on what people have chosen in previous years; that is why we do not offer a choice on the starter or on the pudding. However, we would have done our best to provide an alternative for anyone requesting one but we have taken your comments on board and will be reviewing our menu for next Christmas. As always the menu will be available for consideration atThank you for your feedback.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2010

We went on their three day break offer...we were upgraded to a VIP suite ..I mentioned it was a birthday celibration !.Beautiful hotel set in beautiful countryside . We found the staff friendly and helpful ...the food ..so good ...you would go their just for its restaurant .Comfortable lounge nice to drink the G&T`s around the log fire.A hotel that does not disappoint.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2010

I took my partner abroad; on our return from Manchester Airport on 24/09/10 I surprised her and took her to The Gibbon Bridge Hotel. I booked the Staple Oak Suite. It was amazing-based over two floors, it had its own wood burning fire, dinning table, 3 piece suite, 4 poster bed and the best bit was the double Jacuzzi in the en suite. It even had its own private garden.

On arrival we were greeted at reception by two staff that were very friendly. They gave us our electronic key for the room and showed us how to get to our room- I believe there is only something like 30 rooms here; which I think made it much more personal and that little bit extra special. The receptionist was aware that we had just come back from a long flight and said we could park right next to the room- which was brill for us as all of our clothes were in our huge cases from travelling- rather than lugging them about the hotel.

The hotel was very clean- I had read on here a few reviews which slightly put doubt in my mind as to whether this was going to be a good surprise with regards to the plumbing and it smelling like an old people’s home- this was not the case at all!!- We made use of the Jacuzzi bath several times and had no problem with the plumbing. The place was very clean and smelt fine- in fact they have their own bakery- in the morning you could smell the fresh baking bread as you walked past the bakery.

We ate in the restaurant in the evening and the food was brilliant- I am usually quite picky however I felt that everything was done proper and you were well looked after. The food looked and tasted brilliant. We were invited to sit in the bar/lounge area whilst we chose from the menu and were taken through to our table when we were ready. It was an early night as we were quite tired from flying so headed back to the room.

The bed was very comfortable and could not fault it. In the morning we went to breakfast which again was superb- so much so that I ended up purchasing some items from the bakery to take home, it was that nice! I know I have raved on about this hotel, but I could not fault it at all and would defiantly recommend it- so much so I have come on here to let peeps know!!

The Staple oak suite was slightly expensive for just a one off night- however having stopped there every penny was well worth it!! The hotel even had its own heli-pad!!- How cool is that!? (Well it impressed me!!)

After breakfast we went for a walk around the gardens, where there were pigs and a duck pond!! I cannot rate this place enough. Superb.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tripAndylamb
Manchester
Reviewed September 1, 2010

Together with my wife we must have stayed at Gibbon Bridge over 100 timse during the last 20 years. The staff are always great fun and if you do not know Janet, she will more than likely be serving breakfast dressed in her whites. Alway a great experience to come back to Gibbon Bridge, superb food and choice, a great sucess story.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chipping
Northcote Hotel
#5 of 15 in Preston
Foxfields Country Hotel
Foxfields Country Hotel
#1 of 1 in Billington

Been to Gibbon Bridge Hotel? Share your experiences!