“Dog Walkers Not Welcome”

The Dog and Partridge
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Chipping
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A traditional family run restaurant, which has been in the same family for over 50 years. We offer home cooked, locally sourced produce including a variety of roasts and fresh fish. A warm and homely atmosphere welcomes you within the heart of the Ribble Valley. The building dates back to the 16th century (originally a coaching inn) and still retains its old-world charm. A cosy bar area with a real open fire a comfy arm chairs lead off to three dining areas all differing in style with possibilities from intimate dinning to large parties.
Preston
“Dog Walkers Not Welcome”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Walked into this pub after taking my dog for a walk along the local public footpaths. I looked carefully on my way in for signs that might indicate that they are not keen on dogs, but found none, so walked in anticipating a nice atmostphere and a decent pint - how misguided I was !

Stood at the bar for ages because landlady and landlord were busy pandering to diners in the restaurant, or simply unavailable because they were busy in the kitchen.

Both the landlady and landlord both saw that I had a Collie with me, but didn't mention anything. Landlady asked what she could get me eventually, and I had a pint of Marstons (set me back £3 and tasted a bit like vinegar). Stuck up landlady then said I'd have to sit outside to drink it because dogs were not allowed in the pub - why didn't she say that before pouring me a pint ? She wanted my money first, obviously, grrrr.

It was blowing a gale outside and I was thretening rain. I sat outside in the wind in disbelief that the landlady would turf me out in the cold with no forewarning or any signage to indicate that dogs were not welcome. I've never been so disgusted with a publican in all my life.

IF YOU ARE A DOG OWNER, WALKER OR REAL ALE ENTHUSIAST, I MOST STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU GIVE THIS ESTABLISHMENT A WIDE BERTH BECAUSE YOU WON'T FIND A WARM WELCOME HERE.

5 Thank Bad_Review_Preston
susanbarr1960, Owner at The Dog and Partridge, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
I was extremely upset on reading that you had not had a good experience at our restaurant. It is a family run business that has been established for over 50 years and we pride ourselves in offering a warm friendly service and it is therefore disappointing to read your negative comments.
Unfortunately due to our premises being carpeted throughout, we do not allow dogs unless it is a guide dog. However this should have been pointed out before you ordered your pint.
I would like to mention that it was not me the landlady that was on duty the night in question though that should not have made any difference.

North West England
“Bland......”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We thought we would give this place a try, the Ribble Valley is well known for it's food trail and excellent places to eat. It was very busy when we arrived, which is normally a good sign, however it lacked atmosphere. Decor was dated, chairs in the bar more like a waiting room. We went through to the restaurant which again was a little tired, however food portions for fellow customers looked good. Our meal arrived and it was fine, just very bland. Carrots and cabbage were watery, mash creamy but bland... meat bland... Service was good, but food and atmosphere on this occassion wasn't anything special.

1 Thank tabitha67
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

A few weeks ago my husband asked me to look up places to eat near Chipping. We found the Dog and Partridge. I had the best chicken meal ever. I asked my husband to take me again. Last Sunday we went again and there was no doubt in my mind I was having the chicken dinner. Could you imagine my horror when I saw my plate with a leg of chicken and a half a chicken breast that looked like it had been sent back to the kitchen on someone else's plate. The food was cold and I took the chicken home to my dog.

2 Thank MrsSpartacus
Preston
“Excellent”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Welcomed in by the bar staff who asked if we had booked a table. Took our drinks order and given the menu the food was excellent. Our party ordered pheasant, duck, beef and salmon. Generous portions and all well prepared and presented. Lots of locally-sourced items. Very reasonably priced.
Only go if you are starving the portions are huge!!

• Visited March 2013
susanbarr1960, Owner at The Dog and Partridge, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
San Francisco, California
“Excellent food, excellent service.”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Went to the Dog and Partridge as a family of five for dinner. The service was notably good - very warm and attentive - and the food was excellent. Our party ordered pheasant, duck, beef and salmon. Generous portions and all well prepared and presented. Lots of locally-sourced items. Very reasonably priced for such an excellent evening. Will definitely be returning!

• Visited March 2013