“Delicious food!”

Dining options: Reservations
Alvechurch, England, United Kingdom
“Delicious food!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had a delicious meal here with a fabulous starter of Stornoway black pudding scotch egg where the egg was warm and slightly runny in the centre, truly a masterpiece. The main courses were predominantly meat based but beautifully presented, in generous portions and universally delicious. The triple chocolate mousse with poached pear and gingerbread was a triumph with divine warm gingerbread. Service was quick, unobtrusive and efficient and had it not been for the bride wandering about in her finery we would have been blissfully unaware that there was a wedding going on in the hotel whilst we had out meal.

• Visited November 2012

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Amazing!!!”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I seriously do not understand how people could write a bad review about this place. Service was excellent, quick and very professional. Food was wonderful, the black pudding scotch egg to start was a dream, the monkfish main had so much flavour I couldn't believe it and my triple chocolate mousse with gingerbread was just pure class!!

I wouldn't describe it as a cheap place to eat but with the quality of ingredients and food served here I for one certainly wouldn't expect it to be! Give it a go, you won't be disappointed.

• Visited October 2012
San Diego, California
“Love the food, not the rest”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I have been going to The Church Green in Lymm for several years, every time we visit the area. The pub is just lovely, the food and service excellent which is why we couldn't wait to try The British Grill when we came home this year.
First of all it's in a hotel which seems just OK. We went on a week night and I did call ahead but was assured there was no need to make a reservation. When we arrived we were told there would be a 20 minute wait for a table which was fine with us. We were shown to the bar area for a drink while we waited. Not a comfortable place to wait really and despite it being a really small area it seems we were expected to go to the bar to order drinks, not have someone come and take the order.
The restaurant is cold and uncomfortable but I'll take that if the food is good, which this is. My husband ordered the mussels which were delicious (not hard to get wrong really), I ordered the Lancashire shrimp started, which was just OK, although the sides offered in the pots were delicious. For the main my husband had steak which he enjoyed and I ordered the fish pie. I have to say this was just delicious and really big with lovely buttery mashed potato on top. It was so big I only managed half and was very happy that this would be my dinner the next day. Wrong!!!! When I asked for this to be boxed to go I was told that it was against health and safety regulations, WHAT?? Asked for bill, end of night, thank you very much! I was so gutted the next day I emailed Adrian Byrne on his website and 6 weeks later still waiting............................. Good luck British Grill, I think you are going to need it. Saying that though will be back to The Church Green on our next visit.

• Visited August 2012
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“failed at most levels..”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We were offered a complimentary meal at this restaurant after an awful earlier experience.
We skipped a starter and odered the main course of the wing rib for two ( circa £56:00 for two). After around half an hour it arrived. It was sliced on a large wooden board with three kilner jars with various sauces and a few chips, Veg was an additional charge.
The board and jars took up most of the table and the meal was very quickly cold. The meat was very rare and had a large tendon running through one end. From then it went downhill. The staff were very slow to clear the table and even slower to take the desert order which after 45 mins had failed to appear.
In all we were served one course in two hours.The prices are high, the quality below par and the service rock bottom...
We were very disappointed.
Also to note. When the plates arrived mine had a dead fly on it. Some of the downlighters were not working making it quiet dark and the rear seats could have done with a duster on them. The tables themselves have no table linen on them and are quite small.

• Visited September 2012
Wirral, UK
“Good food, poor service, grim ambiance”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Efficient maitre d', slightly-strange U-shaped dining area with some tables in the main serving corridor. No tablecloths, no amuse bouche. Good nicely-decorated starters and really tasty mains correctly cooked to order (char-grilled ribeye and lamb rump). Plenty of waiting staff but not one was watching tables, and in restaurant service anticipation is everything. Consequently, I had to pour my own wine from the ice bucket - repeatedly. Bill was presented without being asked for and was inflated by overcharging for pre-drinks via brand-upscaling, though this was quickly corrected. Oh, and fellow diners seemed unaware of the advertised 'smart casual' dress code and sported jeans, trainers, shaven heads and even a hoodie. Elegant dining this ain't.

• Visited August 2012