“Decent modern hotel”

Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ledsham
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed with a large party of golfers and we were well looked after. the car parking was extensive and the receptionists were friendly and efficient. The room was spacious and very comfortable with all the amenities you would expect. the breakfast were excellent but the service was a little slow. We had dinner together in a private room with a restricted menu and the food and service was good. An excellent hotel for a large group of golfers with the only complaints being a lack of draught beer or Guiness and the ridiculous bar prices in general

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,912)

Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is a nice hotel and I would definitely go back . The room was big and comfortable and bathroom smart and very clean . We had a meal in the bar in the evening and although there isn't a lot of choice it was lovely ( fish pie )
We didn't have breakfast included in the room price so at £35 for two people a morning this was rather over priced ! The breakfast was very nice ( service on the first morning was so ) I have a big appetite but even I couldn't get through £17 of food for breakfast !
The staff were very helpful and friendly and all seemed o be enjoying their jobs !
Wi Fi was available but at a cost ! .... Always think this is a bit mean as the hotel obviously has its own Wi Fi so why not just share it !

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I was there for a golfing break with a lot of other golfers, The car park was not bad, The reception was very good, My reward card was given points, The room was a double room, where I was a single person, but it was lovely, all the toilet things worked well except for the shower, I like a coolish shower but I could not get it down far enough, which meant I had a hot shower.
Everything else was lovely in the room, even a iron and ironing board without having to ask reception.
The food was very nice considering we were a big group, and the restaurant staff coped very well even with all the banter of 72 golfers.
A lot more money would have been spent behind the bar had the drinks prices been somewhere near normal, but as I have found with most macdonald hotels the price of drink were very expensive, to the extent that numerous ones amongst us went to the local Tesco and stocked up with drinks to bring back to the hotel.
Apart from those things this was a very nice two night stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed at the Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel from 24 August to 26 August 2013 (Bank Holiday weekend) and overall enjoyed the stay. However, there were a few things that others may want to be aware of before booking.

The booking experience itself was all fine - we booked through Superbreak on a deal for 2 nights bed and breakfast with dinner on the first night. The whole customer experience and transaction went through perfectly. Superbreak communicated via email all OK too.

The hotewl itself is in a beutiful setting and the grounds are nice and tranquil too. The staff are extremely polite and ever so helpful. However, after checking in and walking down the corridor to our room, I noticed a strange smell - which I can only compare to the smell in some subways (stale urine or the disinfectant used - can't decide really...). I came to the conclusion that it was probably old carpets that could do with refreshing.

On first walking into our room - it also smelled very musty and damp, but this cleared after leaving the window open for the evening..

The room was very spacious and the bed very comfortable. The room had all the usual touches you'd expect too - widescreen LCD TV, Tea/coffee, water, iron & ironing board, trouser press etc...

Dinner in the Aiden Byrne grill was good, although the menu lacked any decent vegitarian options - 2 main meals. My wife's vegitarian meal was over-salted. She mentioned that if she didn't have a cold and noticed the salt content in the first couple of mouthfuls, she would have sent it back. The table opposit us, both adults had the same dish and also complained of it being too salty.

We finished dinner off with a quick drink in the cocktail bar and headed back to our room for the night. As we had a 21 month old that doesn't sleep well we requested a quiet room, but unfortunately there was noise right through the night - almost to the point where I felt the need to get up and tell the noise makers to shut up! (there was a wedding on at the hotel which clearly contributed to the loud talking/shouting in the corridors at 3am...).

The second night also had wedding guests staying, but they were much quieter and we didn't hear a thing all night.

Breakfast had a good choice of continental options with an array of cereals, fruit breads etc... However the cooked options (both full English and vegitarian were a bit of a let down. I've had better breakfasts in Weatherspoon pubs for £5 than here (just to put things in perspective).

We used the pool on both mornings. All the facilities were really clean and we enjoyed the use of it. So be sure to take swimming costumes!

I think overall it's a bit pricey for what we got. I have stayed at a couple of Macdonald hotels for busienss and have always had a good experience. Sadly this was a let down.

1  Thank System-G
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I booked a B and B family package with zoo tickets from the macdonald website. It was quite pricey, but where isn't over bank holiday,, but it looked nice so we went ahead. They were also offering a dinner package for £50 with kids eating free.

We were checked in by a lovely lady called Alison ( who was terrified by wasps) and despite having a massive queue, whilst the manager looked on, we were checked in with not too much of a wait. Our zoo tickets weren't ready but they were delivered to our room.

This slight hitch was the start of things to come. W decided to go to the bar for a coffee and cake, but we waited and nobody arrived, and when I saw a coffee was nearly £7 I took fright and we retreated back to the room. If you want a cheaper drink try the spa bar. Service was a bit slow, and nobody was quite sure of the prices but we muddled through.

I decided to confirm that we were booked into the restaurant, and what was included. Alison informed me I hadn't booked a dinner package and that it was a credit towards a meal. I was very annoyed by this, so we cancelled the reservation, as the restaurant was pricey and we felt we wouldn't get value for money with 2 young children, and we had spent enough. On check out I mentioned this again and the young man said this was a common complaint at this hotel and at most other McDonald's it is a full 3 course meal for the £50 per couple. I firmly believe this is miss selling by the website.

The room was a good size, particularly as there were 4 beds. The room was clean, and the beds comfortable.

We ate in Chester, which is a lovely city, and the brewers Fayre just down the road. We had a great 3 course carvers on the Sunday night, so were glad we had altered the booking.

Breakfast was a good selection. Plenty of fresh fruit and cereals.

The pool was a great hit for the kids. It was very nice, although not quite up to champneys standard. Members aren't very keen on hotel residents, but it was quiet both days so it wasn't too bad. Towels were a bit faded but looked clean.

Room Tip: Not too near reception and the potential noises from the wedding
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The hotel was situated in lovely scenic grounds and ideally placed for shopping in Chester and visiting Chester zoo.

The hotel facilities are excellent with a well afforded gym with lots of modern equipment, a good sized swimming pool and a couple of saunas.

The staff were excellent and attentive and the hotel was very well maintained.

The room was spacious, well maintained with both a freeview TV and dvd player.

The food was very good with varying from the evening meal not an issue. Breakfast was slow one morning and the hotel ran out of eggs but apart from that the service was very good.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights with my wife and 2 kids. I booked direct with the hotel and got a good deal. The hotel is a mixture of old and new with nice gardens and grounds.
Our room was ok but dated some what with the bathroom needing a make over. The tiles on the floor where chipped ,cracked and some what dangerous as they had sharp edges ,their was mould on the grout and the bath cover was made from wood and was rotting due to water leaking from the bath. The walls where very thin and you could hear lots of noise from other guests . The quality of the furniture and finish in the rooms was of good standard though. we used the leisure facilities and they where very good they included a large pool, steam and sauna ,we didn't use the gym but again it appeared to be ok. Breakfast at the hotel was very good with a large selection of continental and a cooked breakfast to order. I would stay again but would have to get a good deal.

1  Thank Matthew J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ledsham
Inglewood Manor
Crowne Plaza Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
#12 of 45 in Chester
Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa

Been to Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!