We had booked on a spa day on a last minute deal. We were met and offered drinks immediately on our arrival. The leisure part of the hotel was very clean and tidy. The spa staff were very friendly and helpful. As I have a medical condition and didn't have time for me to get a letter from my GP saying I could have certain treatments the spa staff put together a package for me. The changing rooms were a bit separate from the spa rooms and to access the toilets you had to leave the maim part of the spa where the relaxation room and treatment rooms were and walk back across the reception area and into the changing rooms for the swimming and fitness suite. Also the manicure area was out by the bar and the restaurant and I felt a bit conspicuous sitting out there in my dressing gown with people coming in for lunch. I would have preferred for all the spa area to be enclosed. However I was told that the spa was due for a refurb in the near future so hopefully theses issues may be addressed.
After our welcome drinks we were asked to choose what time we wanted our lunch which we did. We made use of the facilities and were back in the restaurant for the time we said. Unfortunately the lunch didn't arrive for 25 minutes despite it being ordered from the hotel. Consequently we were not able to have out sweet with our lunch as we had treatment sessions booked in. We were advised that they would have it ready for after our treatments. However the food still hadn't been sent over at the end of the treatments and a member of the spa staff did her best to sort it out especially when the kitchen then advised they didn't have what we had ordered off a very restricted menu. When the sweets did arrive we felt they were very small for the price charged.
The spa staff and the treatment rooms were lovely. The staff were welcoming and friendly. The relaxation room was nice and the couches so comfortable. I felt that there should have been a cold water machine or at least jugs of water on the side as again to get a drink you had to go back into the main reception area in your dressing gowns.
My only other bug bear is that yes there was safety notices about the length of time to stay in the sauna and steam room but not to take watches into these rooms but there was no clock or timer either in the rooms or that could be seen from the the sauna or steam room.
Lovely spa staff, lovely treatments, shame about the food.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestling in 27 acres of Cheshire woodland, you wouldn't believe how close Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa is to the M53, connecting to the M56 and onto Manchester and the rest of the UK. A beautiful secluded hotel and picture perfect wedding venue combined with outstanding comfort and accessibility. Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa blends the best of British tradition with comfort and style to ensure your stay is special. And we're ideally located just a short distance from the attractions of the North West, with the historic city of Chester only ten minutes away. Enjoy cocktails on the terrace before experiencing gourmet dining in the Craxton Wood Grill. Indulge at our Vital Health & Wellbeing Club and Spa - we've just undergone a sensational £1.4million transformation and there's no better place to put your feet up and let our therapists ease away your stresses. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Craxton Wood Chester
- Hotel Macdonald Craxton Wood