This hotel is a good 20 - 30 mins from Chester. Perfect if you want a quiet getaway, and fairly convenient if you need somewhere not far from the motorway or airport. Not so good if you are planning a sight seeing break around Chester itself.
The hotel is set in grounds - well cared for open woodland and lawns (rather than spectacular borders) - and very pleasant to sit outside if the weather is good. The building itself is not an architectural gem - rather a functional two storey long, thin design, with spar and conference rooms at one end, restaurant towards the middle, and rooms on the other side. Other reviewers talk about a long walk from some rooms to reception - I agree - and the corridor (especially near reception) would benefit from some TLC.
Staff were all very helpful and friendly. Food is standard hotel fare. Breakfasts are cooked to order, and therefore a great way to start the day.
Rooms are spacious, with very comfortable beds, if a little tired. All very clean and tidy, with all you would expect in a room - but little in the way of extras. No heating in the room when I arrived (a late check in), no bedside radio or clock, the lighting (lamps) a little dim for my taste (especially if you plan to work). Internet supplied by BT (free in the lounges, chargeable in the rooms (and not cheap either). No water in the room (but an offer to bring fresh milk for teas and coffees).
A good night's sleep and excellent staff gives this hotel a good rating.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestling in 27 acres of Cheshire woodland, you wouldn't believe how close Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa is to the M53, connecting to the M56 and onto Manchester and the rest of the UK. A beautiful secluded hotel and picture perfect wedding venue combined with outstanding comfort and accessibility. Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa blends the best of British tradition with comfort and style to ensure your stay is special. And we're ideally located just a short distance from the attractions of the North West, with the historic city of Chester only ten minutes away. Enjoy cocktails on the terrace before experiencing gourmet dining in the Craxton Wood Grill. Indulge at our Vital Health & Wellbeing Club and Spa - we've just undergone a sensational £1.4million transformation and there's no better place to put your feet up and let our therapists ease away your stresses. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Craxton Wood Chester
- Hotel Macdonald Craxton Wood