“Relaxing overnight stay”

Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ledsham
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I bought an overnight dinner, bed and breakfast plus 2 spa treatments for the price of £99. The staff were wonderful, the spa experience so relaxing and the food excellent. The bedroom was enormous, very quiet and very comfortable.

Room Tip: Just ask for what you want. Hotel in large grounds
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,949)

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I have stayed here twice over the past year on business. The staff are very friendly and cannot do enough to help you out with any of your needs.

The hotel is old fashioned but clean.

The rooms are very nice and clean but again not very modern - tv is flatscreen though.

The set menu meals are not great at all - the selection is poor, the food is bland but the service is very good.

The breakfast has a good selection of dishes from cereal, fruit to fry-up.

I would stay here again but I would have my dinner elsewhere.

Room Tip: 120 and 118 are very good rooms - ask for a front room if possible.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Silvermouse82
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Having grown up in the Chester Area I know the area well. If you are working inb the area this hotel is right at the crossroads that take you into Wales, Chester, the Wirral and Liverpool. This Hotel has the usual high class of staff which make all the difference. Food was great with the Aiden Byrne Grill turning out some exceptional food. I found the rooms very clean and tidy , Macdonalds always seem to pay attention to bedding so when you collapse in your bed there is that great feeling of relaxation. Im suprised how few other chains pay so little attention to this.
Therte is ample parking and though we were there in the snow we were not cut off from the main road

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Just had a wonderful weekend at Craxton Wood to celebrate my birthday! Very friendly genuinely helpful staff who obviously enjoy their jobs - a very well run team. Room was spacious, spotlessly clean with crisp clean bedlinen. The gym is large and well equipped (take a tracksuit or gym bag to carry your kit 'though as no indoor connection) and pool large enough for decent length swimming (didn't see a shallow area for small children) - great temperature of water and surroundings. Sauna and steam room both excellent. The leisure club lounge looked very inviting but unfortunately we didn't have time to check out the esspresso which a member (not staff) had highly recommended.
Dinner in the restaurant was a brilliant experience - we had a £25 credit per adult having booked the Dinner, bed & breakfast rate. This was enough to have three courses by choosing carefully or could be used to soften the impact of a fabulous blowout! My husband had a gorgeous smoked salmon starter with cucumber & caviar followed by a mouthwatering lamb shank in a rich silky sauce which was covered by the allowance (including veg). I had the same starter followed by a chargrilled ribeye steak (cooked perfectly medium rare, succulent and soft in the middle with chargrilled crispy edges). With the peppercorn sauce this edged it over the allowance by about five pounds but this was WELL worth it. My son had carrot and coriander soup with homemade crusty bread, a huge chargrilled burger with chunky chips followed by hot chocolate brownie with white chocolate sorbet - all beautifully prepared and presented AND within allowance!
I am very surprised by a previous comment re breakfast as the choice was huge - cereals, fresh fruits (including strawberries), juices, fresh ham/cheese,home made breads and pastries all served buffet style whilst waiting for your 'Signature' breakfast - bacon, sausage, egg, tomato, baked beans, fresh mushroom, black pudding, fried bread.......anything but 'minute'! Where do those people normally eat?
I am loathe to mention any negative as we had such a fantastic stay but there were two very minor points - one that the radiator in the room had not been truned on prior to our arrival - soon rectified. The second was that the hairdryer in the room was the old antiquated type which you must hold down a button whilst operating, it did cut out a couple of times and I had to wait only a couple of minutes for service to be restored. Neither of these issues impacted on the overall stay which we all (three) rated as first class, memorable and to be repeated....
We would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Large hotel in spacious grounds so noise not a problem.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We had the misfortune to stay at Craxton Wood before Christmas. Our room was incredibly bland, the bathroom was tired, and the pillows have to be the worst we have ever encountered. The breakfast was a joke, we actually did laugh when our cooked breakfast was put in front of us, as it was so minute, I actually didn't know it was possible to get such a small fried egg, and the sausages were full of grease, and the attitude of the staff in the restaurant didn't help. This is not a 4 star hotel in any shape or form.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SANDGJ
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at most of the macdonalds in the midlands area. After several attempts - down to us and dates- we managed to get booked at Craxton Wood and were really looking forward to it. Really do think the rooms need an update. . Shower door was very mouldy. . Carpet needed a really good vacumn, especially around the edges . .and the bed and pillows were uncomfortable. . Just wasn't very inviting. The breakfast was fine and the spa and pool area was lovely.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank grantsleeds
Reviewed January 10, 2013

just got home from a absolutely fabulous overnight at the macdonald craxton wood hotel Chester,
from the minute you enter the hotel reception you feel the warmth, and friendlyness from all the staff, they were lovely and couldn't do enough to help and make our stay great..
my friends screen was broken on her iPhone and one of the dining staff got us the address for a shop in Chester were we could take it for repair and that was really nice of her to go out of her way to help.
the spa staff are fantastic, the treatments are lovely and such nice calming surroundings , when I got back to my room after having a pedicure I banged my toe on the table, I rang the spa (as its in the grounds next to the hotel)and explained what I had done, keris the beautician told me to pop back and she then re did my two chipped nails.WHAT A STAR.
I will definitely be going back to this hotel/spa and will recommend to all.

Room Tip: we had a standard room and it was fabulous, so they will all be really nice and welcoming. and all...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Andrea m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ledsham
Inglewood Manor
Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa
Crowne Plaza Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
#13 of 45 in Chester

Been to Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!