Just had a wonderful weekend at Craxton Wood to celebrate my birthday! Very friendly genuinely helpful staff who obviously enjoy their jobs - a very well run team. Room was spacious, spotlessly clean with crisp clean bedlinen. The gym is large and well equipped (take a tracksuit or gym bag to carry your kit 'though as no indoor connection) and pool large enough for decent length swimming (didn't see a shallow area for small children) - great temperature of water and surroundings. Sauna and steam room both excellent. The leisure club lounge looked very inviting but unfortunately we didn't have time to check out the esspresso which a member (not staff) had highly recommended.
Dinner in the restaurant was a brilliant experience - we had a £25 credit per adult having booked the Dinner, bed & breakfast rate. This was enough to have three courses by choosing carefully or could be used to soften the impact of a fabulous blowout! My husband had a gorgeous smoked salmon starter with cucumber & caviar followed by a mouthwatering lamb shank in a rich silky sauce which was covered by the allowance (including veg). I had the same starter followed by a chargrilled ribeye steak (cooked perfectly medium rare, succulent and soft in the middle with chargrilled crispy edges). With the peppercorn sauce this edged it over the allowance by about five pounds but this was WELL worth it. My son had carrot and coriander soup with homemade crusty bread, a huge chargrilled burger with chunky chips followed by hot chocolate brownie with white chocolate sorbet - all beautifully prepared and presented AND within allowance!
I am very surprised by a previous comment re breakfast as the choice was huge - cereals, fresh fruits (including strawberries), juices, fresh ham/cheese,home made breads and pastries all served buffet style whilst waiting for your 'Signature' breakfast - bacon, sausage, egg, tomato, baked beans, fresh mushroom, black pudding, fried bread.......anything but 'minute'! Where do those people normally eat?
I am loathe to mention any negative as we had such a fantastic stay but there were two very minor points - one that the radiator in the room had not been truned on prior to our arrival - soon rectified. The second was that the hairdryer in the room was the old antiquated type which you must hold down a button whilst operating, it did cut out a couple of times and I had to wait only a couple of minutes for service to be restored. Neither of these issues impacted on the overall stay which we all (three) rated as first class, memorable and to be repeated....
We would highly recommend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestling in 27 acres of Cheshire woodland, you wouldn't believe how close Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa is to the M53, connecting to the M56 and onto Manchester and the rest of the UK. A beautiful secluded hotel and picture perfect wedding venue combined with outstanding comfort and accessibility. Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa blends the best of British tradition with comfort and style to ensure your stay is special. And we're ideally located just a short distance from the attractions of the North West, with the historic city of Chester only ten minutes away. Enjoy cocktails on the terrace before experiencing gourmet dining in the Craxton Wood Grill. Indulge at our Vital Health & Wellbeing Club and Spa - we've just undergone a sensational £1.4million transformation and there's no better place to put your feet up and let our therapists ease away your stresses. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Craxton Wood Chester
- Hotel Macdonald Craxton Wood