“Excellent”

Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ledsham
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Just had a wonderful weekend at Craxton Wood to celebrate my birthday! Very friendly genuinely helpful staff who obviously enjoy their jobs - a very well run team. Room was spacious, spotlessly clean with crisp clean bedlinen. The gym is large and well equipped (take a tracksuit or gym bag to carry your kit 'though as no indoor connection) and pool large enough for decent length swimming (didn't see a shallow area for small children) - great temperature of water and surroundings. Sauna and steam room both excellent. The leisure club lounge looked very inviting but unfortunately we didn't have time to check out the esspresso which a member (not staff) had highly recommended.
Dinner in the restaurant was a brilliant experience - we had a £25 credit per adult having booked the Dinner, bed & breakfast rate. This was enough to have three courses by choosing carefully or could be used to soften the impact of a fabulous blowout! My husband had a gorgeous smoked salmon starter with cucumber & caviar followed by a mouthwatering lamb shank in a rich silky sauce which was covered by the allowance (including veg). I had the same starter followed by a chargrilled ribeye steak (cooked perfectly medium rare, succulent and soft in the middle with chargrilled crispy edges). With the peppercorn sauce this edged it over the allowance by about five pounds but this was WELL worth it. My son had carrot and coriander soup with homemade crusty bread, a huge chargrilled burger with chunky chips followed by hot chocolate brownie with white chocolate sorbet - all beautifully prepared and presented AND within allowance!
I am very surprised by a previous comment re breakfast as the choice was huge - cereals, fresh fruits (including strawberries), juices, fresh ham/cheese,home made breads and pastries all served buffet style whilst waiting for your 'Signature' breakfast - bacon, sausage, egg, tomato, baked beans, fresh mushroom, black pudding, fried bread.......anything but 'minute'! Where do those people normally eat?
I am loathe to mention any negative as we had such a fantastic stay but there were two very minor points - one that the radiator in the room had not been truned on prior to our arrival - soon rectified. The second was that the hairdryer in the room was the old antiquated type which you must hold down a button whilst operating, it did cut out a couple of times and I had to wait only a couple of minutes for service to be restored. Neither of these issues impacted on the overall stay which we all (three) rated as first class, memorable and to be repeated....
We would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Large hotel in spacious grounds so noise not a problem.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,928)

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We had the misfortune to stay at Craxton Wood before Christmas. Our room was incredibly bland, the bathroom was tired, and the pillows have to be the worst we have ever encountered. The breakfast was a joke, we actually did laugh when our cooked breakfast was put in front of us, as it was so minute, I actually didn't know it was possible to get such a small fried egg, and the sausages were full of grease, and the attitude of the staff in the restaurant didn't help. This is not a 4 star hotel in any shape or form.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SANDGJ
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at most of the macdonalds in the midlands area. After several attempts - down to us and dates- we managed to get booked at Craxton Wood and were really looking forward to it. Really do think the rooms need an update. . Shower door was very mouldy. . Carpet needed a really good vacumn, especially around the edges . .and the bed and pillows were uncomfortable. . Just wasn't very inviting. The breakfast was fine and the spa and pool area was lovely.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank grantsleeds
Reviewed January 10, 2013

just got home from a absolutely fabulous overnight at the macdonald craxton wood hotel Chester,
from the minute you enter the hotel reception you feel the warmth, and friendlyness from all the staff, they were lovely and couldn't do enough to help and make our stay great..
my friends screen was broken on her iPhone and one of the dining staff got us the address for a shop in Chester were we could take it for repair and that was really nice of her to go out of her way to help.
the spa staff are fantastic, the treatments are lovely and such nice calming surroundings , when I got back to my room after having a pedicure I banged my toe on the table, I rang the spa (as its in the grounds next to the hotel)and explained what I had done, keris the beautician told me to pop back and she then re did my two chipped nails.WHAT A STAR.
I will definitely be going back to this hotel/spa and will recommend to all.

Room Tip: we had a standard room and it was fabulous, so they will all be really nice and welcoming. and all...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Andrea m
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I think the hotel is nice, but it tries to make out it is an amazing experience, which it isn't. The room wasn't really what I booked ("woodland or garden view" was the car park with a few trees), quite old fashioned decor (not olde worlde, just dated and a bit tired, when I had asked for something reasonably recently refurbished having read the reviews on here). The staff were very polite and friendly but not actually always helpful (although they were trying to be). I asked specifically if a dish was just lettuce and scallops, was told, no there were loads of things in the salad other than lettuce, but he wasn't sure what and offered to find out. I didn't ask him to as he had assured me there were "loads of things in the salad", but it turned out to be just a plate of lettuce and scallops. The food is fine, but arranging it in funny shapes on an odd shaped plate doesn't make it "a gastronomic revelation". The spa is less of a hotel spa, more of a private gym. Separate building so you walk across the car park to it, no hot tub/jacuzzi, tiny pool, lots of gym machinery and a few gym classes. If I had just been expecting a decent hotel, I would have been quite happy, but I ended up being a little disappointed as it certainly wasn't the level of luxury it had made itself out to be.

Room Tip: If you really want a garden or woodland view, ask for the back of the hotel, the whole of the front...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank zctlm35
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We booked Craxton for our Wedding Anniversary, a night of peace away from the kids, confident that we would be guaranteed a much longed for night of relaxation, fine dinning and sleep. We got to the restaurant 730. Ordered our food, given the shocking range of meat free dishes for me and that they had run out of lamb for my husband we didn’t have much choice but to go for the Scampi and Chips. The starters were delish and I don’t think that’s just because we were ravenous at this point after waiting a good 50 minutes for them. (We didn’t understand the delay as other then a large table of 12, there where only a handful of other couples in the otherwise empty restaurant but apparently it was down to the party of 12 sitting down to eat later than planned???) Before our mains arrived I was bouncing in my seat reverberating to the disco that was going on in the function room next door. Another wait later and our mains arrived and can only be described as basic pub food, except without the peas your normally get and at 3 times the price. Hardly fine cuisine. We had to request the desert that was included in with the Room + Meal deal from 2 different waiters and had to push for it as the waiters hadn’t heard that a free desert was included (maybe it was the loud boom boom boom that meant they couldn’t hear us!!) The manager did agree not to charge us over and above the meal allowance but this was extremely limited compensation for a rubbish meal.
On a positive note I slept like a baby, my poor husband however felt ill most of the night and got little sleep. Room was clean, warm, with a comfortable bed and apart from not getting the morning paper we had booked, accommodation couldn’t be faulted. Overall however, our eagerly awaited night away was a disappointment.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MrsMW33
Reviewed January 4, 2013

After reading the various reviews I was pleasantly surprised. The grounds are quite pretty with a stream running through. The classic bedroom was a good size not fancy at all (but I wasn't expecting it to be). I do wonder what other people expect and I normally think you get what you pay for. Yes some parts of the hotel are a little dated but how picky can you be!

The food was extremely good, the staff very pleasant and helpful. Service at breakfast was a little slow but that was because everyone had decided to come down at the last minute - we weren't in a hurry anyway.

All in all I can recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had the ordinary classic double which was quiet and spacious. Normal selection of toileteries...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ledsham
Inglewood Manor
#1 of 1 in Thornton Hough
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa

Been to Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!