“Real English ale and food”
Review of Eagle & Child

Eagle & Child
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Weekday lunchtimes are always a treat here. Good selection of guest beers on tap, food good quality and well cooked. Staff provide excellent service. Cosy old English village pub atmosphere - what more could you want - paradise !

1  Thank ItsAllOne

Reviewed January 25, 2013

My partner and I were just about to go on a foreign holiday, and she didn't fancy cooking, so on a Monday evening we ventured out to this pub for a quick meal. Well............... we were so impressed that I felt that I have to review it on here and tell people just how good it was. We went on the 7th of January, the food was excellent and the staff friendly and professional. It was a reasonable cold evening and the warmth within the pub was welcoming.
The Eagle and Child will certainly get our custom again.
Well done Martin and your team.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Our party of four decided to try out this much acclaimed venue on a Wednesday night. The ambiance of this pub/restaurant was comfortable and inviting. Service was excellent and attentive. The beers were excellent, however the food was disappointing. Perhaps this was a midweek dip in standards. Our starters were good and enjoyed by all. The same cannot be said of the main courses. The garlic sausage and lamb cassoulet had an excellent flavour but the lamb was very undercooked and tough. The accompanying crispy rustic bread was a real challenge in the dental department. It was rock hard yet rubbery and simply awful to bite into or chew. It would appear to have been microwaved to death and back again to a vulcanized state. . The pasta carbonara contained large chunks of very chewy chicken and was again very disappointing as 75% of the dish was left undisturbed. The seafood risotto had an odd flavour and again 50% of this dish was left un-eaten. The sticky toffee pudding was however very good. On balance we were very disappointed with the fare, particularly as we had high hopes for this pub of the year. Perhaps the midweek chef had a very off day.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I found the Eagle & Child a bit of a disappointment. The pub, beer and above all staff, were top-drawer but the food is poor, even by pub-grub standards. On the basis of this visit, how the Eagle & Child won Lancashire Dining Pub of the Year, is anybody's guess.

I visited on a Sunday lunch, with my wife, sister and brother-in-law. My wife and sister shared a starter of lamb samosas, which were OK, as was a chicken liver starter. That cannot be said for my “confit” of pheasant leg. I have cooked duck confit at home, more times than I care to remember. Joints are braised slowly in duck or goose fat, then stored under fat, before reheating in a hot oven when required. The result should be moist meat that falls from the bone, with a skin that crisps up nicely in a hot oven. What I had was a roasted leg, that may have been extremely tasty, had it been cooked properly. It obviously had experienced some contact with fat, as it was extremely greasy. However, what meat I had, needed to be sawed and gnawed off the bone and it was also pretty dry.

For the main course, my wife and sister had the cassoulet, again a dish I cook quite a lot at home. What arrived was as far removed from cassoulet, as the starter was from confit. It arrived in a small, cast-iron casserole dish and whilst not inedible, was pretty poor. The bean content had been cooked to a mush and the lamb content had just been fried off and tossed into the mix. So the result was a sort of soft bean stew, that had pre-cooked lamb and sausage tossed in at the death. Not particularly harmonious, or tasty. This is a tragedy, as the core ingredients were good quality. My brother in law had the pressed belly-pork, which didn't get any complaints but then again, it didn't get any praise. My roast lamb with goose fat roast potatoes was average at best. The lamb was extremely tough and the potatoes soggy and tasteless, as was the dish of plain boiled/steamed veg, (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and mange tout). A little butter to 'lift' those veg, would have made all the difference.

Desserts were the high-point but that's not saying much. Two portions of Eton Mess were the consistency of Angel Delight, (no crunchy, chewy meringue here), but not unpleasant in taste. My trio of desserts, (plum pudding, chocolate mousse and panna cotta), were OK if uninspiring. The three ice cream selection was the best of the bunch, as they were from the same artisan company that supplied the farm shop next door.

We accompanied the meal with a bottle of good Valpolicella Ripasso and a couple of bottles of sparkling water. We did not have coffee or after dinner drinks.

If it wasn't for the excellent, friendly service and the warm ambience of the pub itself, I would have given the Eagle & Child even less of a score. In my humble opinion, the pub, staff and ingredients, deserve more than the inept kitchen delivers.

2  Thank JandApe
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Ordered rump of lamb, which was like trying to cut into boot leather! It was utterly appalling and certainly not worth the £14.50 price tag! Thankfully upon complaining to the manager I didn't have to pay for it. Have been visiting this establishment for 20 years but not sure if I'd go again.

1  Thank sophiegal