We booked this as a one-night spa break. While all of the elements were there (spa treatment, pool, jacuzzi, sauna, gym, and all meals as booked), it was unfortunately a bit lacking in terms of luxury and an overall, pampering spa "experience".
We did not spend much time in our rooms, being with friends in the spa, restaurant or lounge instead. My room was basic, perhaps even spartan, with none of the modern decor of the ones shown on the website, but the beds were comfortable and everything did seem clean. The evening meal we had was delicious, breakfast was also very good, and restaurant service was on the whole excellent.
For the spa element we had brought flip flops as advised but were surprised that robes were not offered, only towels. The pool facilities were clean but small, and in decor/atmosphere felt more like a holiday park leisure facility than a 4* hotel. It was not so relaxing due to cheesy pop music, playing children (even after the advertised cut-off time of 5pm) and the fact that there were only three poolside chairs (our group alone was 7). Nonetheless the spa treatments were very professional and the relaxation room provided afterwards was a nice touch. Our lunch above the pool was simple (sandwiches, salad, fruit) but fresh and plentiful.
Small touches were lacking, such as most locker keys not having a pin or wristband for safe keeping (not to mention a locker number). Maintenance was unfortunately not perfect. Two of the three ladies' changing room toilets had no light (not just a blown bulb, but the halogen unit completely missing from the ceiling, making them pitch black as they were in individual rooms), and one of the two poolside showers for the sauna/steam room was not working.
I do not dispute that elements of this hotel are 4*, but having recently stayed at a 4* Mercure in Bristol, and just comparing the first impressions of the neighbouring 4* Crabwall Manor, I unfortunately do not agree that the hotel as a whole deserves this rating; elements of it are uninspiring at best. For a budget spa break, booked knowingly as such, it's OK, but I would try somewhere else next time. In this case the company of friends was the most important thing and that was what made the weekend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This 4-star country-house hotel is in beautiful grounds, a short drive from Chester city centre. For leisure, it has an indoor swimming pool, a sauna, gym, jacuzzi, squash courts and spa. The beauty spa offers a range of relaxing treatments, including mud wraps and massages. Brook Mollington Banastre also has free car parking. Hotel Rooms: 63. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotel.de, Priceline, Travelocity, SpeedyBooker.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel Mollington
- Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel And Spa
- Best Western Chester
- Chester Best Western
- Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa Cheshire