“you get what you pay for!”

Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Chester, United Kingdom
“you get what you pay for!”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

stayed here recently as a group of 10 in a hen night party. We had booked a table for lunch at 12 which was ready for us on arrival. The manager Mr Gavin was incredibly helpful from the start and throughout our stay, he was attentive and kind and also ready to take a bit of a joke (being in a hen party of 10 women, having someone like this was great!) Unfortunately the same cant be said for the other waiter that day who was rather miserable and not amused by a hen party at all. I would go as far as to say he was quite rude and abrupt, however we made a joke of the situation and would not let this ruin our lunch (although we were afraid to ask for ANYTHING) the ypung girl helping was lovely too.
Lunch was good when it eventually arrived over an hour after ordering. This didnt really bother us but had I not been on a hen night and having a good time I imagine I would have probably been quite angry.
The spa is ok, not the best I have seen. It was very disorganised and badly run, a little communication would go a long way. If your looking for a good spa break there are much better in Chester , if you want a swim and a sauna/jacuzzi at a cheap price then this is fine.Wouldnt really call it a "spa" but for the price of the package with superbreak which includes breakfast and afternoon tea its great.
The rooms are dated and in need of some tlc but again this comes down to price. I think 3* is a more honest rating for this hotel.
Breakfast was good , and served in a buffet style and had all the usual things youd expect.
Overall a good hotel and close to Chester. Afternoon Tea is fantastic, and the manager is friendly and enthusiastic, some of the staff could benefit from a little customer care training.
Dont go expecting champagne when youve paid for lager and youll be fine!!

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking gardens
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank nthen2014
Fintan G, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review and I am glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am sorry to hear that you did not find all the staff as friendly as most as normally this is one area I get very favourably comments on and I will be speaking to the team to ensure this is not an issue going forward.

All our food is prepared fresh in our kitchen and I do not recall it taking an hour for your food I do apologise if there was any delay in your food coming out.

With regards to the rooms being dated we do have an ongoing program of paining, carpet replacement etc to action this.

Thank you again for kind comments regarding the afternoon tea and I would ask that if you are visiting the area again that you call me directly.

Kind regards

Fintan Gavin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We arrived at the hotel and questioned whether it was the right place! The photos looked great but were taken from the back of the building. There were linen trolleys in the car park and linen on the floor beside them.
The bedrooms very comfortable, the bathroom was very dated and smelt overwhelmingly damp/musky.
The furniture in the bar was old and the cushions were stained! There was a mouse/rat trap in full view! Placed on the floor next to the window.
We paid £105 for a 'Spa day' The pool looked dirty and was overrun with children, minimal seating and not at all a relaxing environment. The massage and facial were pleasant but not worth the money.
Breakfast was very overpriced at more than £12 per person and it was average.
Definitely not a 4 star hotel, extremely disappointed.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Mrsbell2312
Dear Mrs Bell

Thank you for your recent review and my apologies that you were disappointed.

We do have an ongoing maintenance/refurbishment program and have recently had a number of carpets replaced, rooms painted and also all the cushions in the bar/lounge area are all new however I will check to ensure if any have been stained that these are removed and cleaned.

We are a popular hotel with both business and leisure clients and during your visit which was half term there were a number of families staying with us.

We also have a pest control company as is required and we do have bait boxes around the building which is essential to ensure the hotel remains pest free.

I would ask that the next time you are planning on visiting the area that you call me directly so I can ensure you are looked after.

Kind regards

Travelers are raving about these Mollington hotels

Lee, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2014

My husband and I booked this hotel as a last minute deal for us and our daughter in March 2014.
The reception staff were really welcoming, the room was huge, clean and quiet with comfy beds and there was a very relaxing feel to the hotel. The gardens were really lovely and the spa looked great (though we didn't use this). The breakfast was varied and of high quality and again the staff were attentive and helpful. We were even given free glasses of milk for our daughter each night before bed! Would definitely stay there again. The hotel is very well placed for travelling to Chester, North Wales, Liverpool and the Wirral.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
West Midlands
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We both enjoyed our two-night stay here and have to commend all the staff for being so friendly and helpful, especially Desi on Reception, and the manager, Fintan Gavin, was very charming.

We ate in the hotel restaurant on our first night and both chose the slow-cooked beef, which was divine! Our compliments to the chef! Breakfast both mornings was fine, with a good choice of food.

Although the decor in some of the areas of the hotel was a little tired, our bedroom was comfortable and pleasant, overlooking the lovely garden. The bathroom could do with an upgrade but was sufficient for our needs.

We sadly didn't have time to use the spa and pool area but hope to should we return to the area in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden - nicer view than the car park - and if you struggle with stai...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JnKB
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Overall a real disappointment that tainted our weekend.
Positives: friendly and helpful staff, lovely hot shower, £5 taxi rides
Spa:gravel and dirt at the bottom of the jacuzzi, no swimwear dryer, saunas were either not hot or not working
Bedroom: dated and shabby double with 60s chipped and scuffed furniture, bedsheets that didnt fit resulting in sleeping on bare matteress, wallpaper coming away, curtains off hook & eye, stains on ceiling
Food: despite the large portions and good presentation the 3 courses were either overpowering or tasteless. The meal we had in Chester the following night was far superior.
At present I would not stay again. The hotel and spa needs a good deal of investment.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank S S
calgary AB
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Want to thank all the staff and members of the Resort for their helpfulness and consideration. The housekeeping was very good and had a lovely arrangement. They have great fitness facilities and the location is very pleasant. Not too far from the town of Chester which is unique town in of itself.
The weather was fine and the landscape too was most interesting. Remember to look both ways when crossing the roads!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
UK
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We arrived for our spa break at almost 2pm, which is check in time according to the website, the person I called to ask, as well as the guest info book left in the hotel room itself. However when I asked to check in I was met with the almost horrified response of 'You can't check in until 3pm! The rooms just aren't ready.' It was said with a level of shock on a par with me asking for a free stay. However after recovering from my audacity, the receptionist did finally suggest we leave our bags while we went for a swim and to have our spa treatments. The spa treatment itself was very good and the therapist lovely.

After our treatments we were allowed to check in. Due to some previous poor reviews I was feeling a bit apprehensive but was pleasantly surprised. Our room overlooked a quiet road and was on a very peaceful corridor on the ground floor. Everything was very clean and decoration was fine.

Unfortunately the beds weren't very comfortable and also were quite creaky and noisy, meaning we constantly disrupted each other in the night if we moved even slightly. The bathroom was clean, but did look as if it needed a bit of a freshening up in terms of paintwork. The bath was very tiny and the shower head did look quite rusty, however was fairly powerful. The water temperature wasn't constant, so did get hotter and colder. I mention this as it is one of my pet hates when staying in a hotel! The most annoying thing was the shower curtain, which is of the material sort that has the habit of sticking to you as you try to shower. It's the little details like that which I think makes people expecting 4* facilities feel somewhat disappointed.

We had dinner in the hotel and found the staff very helpful and friendly. The menu was quite varied but also expensive for main courses. We were happy with the food for our starters, the fishcakes in particular were absolutely delicious, but we did find the steak and slow cooked beef a bit tough.

Overall we had a pleasant enough stay, but I'm not sure I would choose this hotel again if we visited the area in future.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa
Doubletree by Hilton Chester
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
#10 of 44 in Chester
Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel

Been to Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!