Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa
Bawn Lodge(Chester)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Free Internet
1,792 results
All reviewsfour poster bedchester zoospa treatmentsbar areacheshire oaksfrom start to finishweekend breakcouldn't faultfull englishgymmollyfacial
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Hotel booked for birthday break away. Arrived at hotel and room was ok. Went out into Chester and came back around midnight. The bedroom was ok, and the bed itself nice, big and comfortable, but we were woken up throughout the night by drunken guests talking noisily as they passed and at one point not sure if it was 03:30 or 05:30 were woken by guests talking and laughing outside our room. I don't know if this was as a result of an 18th birthday party that we knew had been going on in the hotel earlier that night and whether bar hours were extended late. The hotel did have a good feeling that you could be yourself and at one time would have been a grand place, but now needs a makeover in all areas, we could not see any evidence of trying to maintain it - worn carpets, worn furniture, ripped wallpaper, stained paintwork etc, a local member of the leisure facilities told us the place is stuck as it was 20 years ago. Our breakfast was very disappointing, the buffet area was too small for the number of guests cramped and queuing. It was a bad idea to have the toast maker In line with the cooked breakfast buffet, because this was holding everybody up, so there was quite a queue before you could get anything, we waited about 15 mins! The food itself was luke warm and didn't seem good quality. The spa was ok, but again here there were the same signs that the pool, spa and changing rooms need a makeover. Neither of us feel that the cost to stay here was value for money especially having just looked at other local hotels with same kind of cost and these have been kept up to date and look nicer. The pictures on the Mollington website look nice, it was a shame it didn't look as good there. There wasn't anything terribly wrong here, it was just a disappointment that the hotel wasn't as good a standard as the cost to stay would seem to indicate. We plan to stay in the area again in a couple of months time, but it won't be at the Mollington based upon our experience this time.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
Reviewed March 30, 2014

This hotel is very tired and looks nothing like promotional pictures, the rooms are tiny. Breakfast disappointing, water in a flask not hot enough for a decent cup of tea, milk served in a chipped jug and cups did not look very clean. Absolutely no attention to detail at all.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Cheryl R
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We stayed here during a weekend trip to Chester in March. We had booked bed and breakfast with complimentary afternoon tea. Check-in was seamless. Room was bright and clean. Bed comfortable.... Everything you would want from a hotel.
Afternoon tea was lovely, served overlooking the lovely gardens and more than enough to eat. If you were ordering this independently, I would say that tea for one would serve two.
We had a lovely hour in the pool, sauna, jacuzzi.
Following a great night out in Chester (my favourite city!), we had a good sleep and then had a delicious breakfast in bed.
This hotel represents excellent value for money, nice food, good service and within a short hop to Chester city centre. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Afternoon tea offer booked via Superbreak is great value.
1  Thank Diane M
Reviewed March 18, 2014

My partner booked us in here for my belated 50th birthday treat on 15th March 2014. All seemed ok on arrival,the staff were friendly and check in was quick. (although the front of the hotel doesn't look like the picture, which is obviously taken at the back).We walked up a thread bare stair case to the extended part of the hotel and were greeted with a tray of old food on the floor in front of us-nothing wrong with that only it was still there at 11 pm ! On first impression our room number 41 seemed lovely although it was like a sauna so we turned the radiator off,or so we thought! On looking through the customer information folder to see what treatments were on offer, or any information that might be useful about the hotel, we couldn't find anything about the spa but we did find details about Valentines day-A bit late for that ??!!!! The printed sheets weren't laminated,apart from one,and were dirty and crumpled! Why do they not promote the spa or give information on taxi services etc or at least check to make sure what little information they give is up to date! Still feeling like we were in a sauna we realised the radiator hadnt turned off so we opened the window. On looking out we saw what a lovely view we had...NOT! We over looked the dumping ground for all the dirty linen and boxes!I appreciate there has to be a place for this but surely a covered area would be less of an eye sore. I ran a bath which filled quickly and there was lots of hot water so that was nice but realised the extractor fan wasn't working (no window).My partner went to reception to ask them to come and look at the radiator which we had now put our wet towels on to try and mask the heat,he also told them about the fan.They said they would send someone up so later after reception called us a taxi we headed off out to have something to eat. On our return nothing had been done so we had to sleep with the window open. Dont get me wrong it was not all bad but we think they need to pay attention to detail.There were stains on the seat and carpet ,dirty lamp shades,cobwebs and the bed valance was ripped.The picture frames looked like they had been too near heat at some point and the frames had started to melt.I have put photos on so hopefully they will sort the problems out .On checking out we were asked if everything was ok my partner expressed his disappointment that nothing had been done about the issues,they looked at each other slightly embarrassed and the gentleman who it was reported too originally said he had reported it to the duty manager but as my partner rightly pointed out...'Well that didnt help us with our stay!'
The bar/reception area is lovely the bed was comfortable and breakfast is very good with lots of choice.Would we stay here again...It is at the higher end of our budget and for the money would expect better but if the issues were sorted and we had a better view in the original part of the building...possibly.

1  Thank Butty4763
Reviewed March 14, 2014

In my opinion this hotel is way over rated. Should be at the level of a 2star. Looks nothing like the images, very dated and dark. We were put on the second floor tucked in a corner in a room that had hardly any natural light and only one working light fitting. Bathroom mirror light also didn't work. The floor boards are all loose and creaked constantly and moved when you stood on them. Our stay was booked for a christening the next day which we missed most of due to the hotels water and electrics being switched off which nobody informed us, so we had to go all the way home to get ready, couldn't even use the toilet or shower. We went down for breakfast which was cold, so tried to cold option of croissants which were stale. One waitress running round like a headless chicken, nobody to greet us, only dirty tables to sit at, waitress almost dropped a huge stack of plates as we entered the breakfast area, then kept banging into my partners chair. We had then to wait 10 minutes just to leave the hotel whilst two members of staff were turning a couple away and apologising to others. I was told somebody would contact me the next day. Nobody did. I called the hotel and was told again I would be contacted. I then got an email from the "manager" to say sorry and our 1 drink the previous evening wouldn't be charged to us. A £90 terrible stay for 2 drinks doesn't justify it, aswel as missing a Christening. AVOID THIS HOTEL. I sent my thoughts to the manager directly on Tuesday last week. I yet have no response. Bad customer service even from the manager.

• Stayed: March 2014