“Beware of the misleading photos and heated towel rails!”

Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed for one night, the 27th, it was an impromptu visit and we booked on the looks of the professional pictures. We were more than surprised to find on arrival the main picture is the back not the front but we were not surprised having realized this that the rest of the Hotel was shabby to say the least and looked nothing like the internet photos.

Upon arrival we were greeted by a very warm and welcoming lady on reception, she let herself down though when she couldn't give us directions to our room (shouldn't somebody working at the front end of the Hotel know this as a basic rule?). We went to our room which was for 2 adults and an 18 month old and we immediately asked for a change, the room was tiny and there was barely room to get us all in. We were initially told there were no more rooms available by the receptionist, only for another member of staff to overhear and tell us actually there were 2 more rooms and they would gladly assist us in moving to another room, which was nice of them.

The whole Hotel on the walk through smelled damp and almost every door frame was chipped, the carpets old and worn and the decor very old and tired, the plugs in the room were loose and not fitted to the wall. The walls are paper thin as well and an elderly gentleman in the room next to us called reception to help him work the television, we could hear the entire conversation as well as every switch being turned on and off.

Oh and parents of young children beware, the towel rail in the bathroom was very very hot and there was no way to turn it off, our little girl almost managed to grab it before we realized this.

The whole Hotel is in desperate need of some TLC and a lick of paint. To cap it all off when my wife got in the shower and closed the curtain there were dried on bogeys waiting to greet her!

In Summary:

Negatives: Overpriced, Old fashioned, Staff not up to the jobs asked of them, not the cleanest Hotel, misleading images from the website

Positives: Friendly and helpful staff, breakfast was nice enough, good location for Chester.

All in all i would recommend a Travel Inn or Premier Inn rather than the Brook Mollington as all you are getting is worse or equal at best accommodation at an inflated price.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Stephen73a

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed at Brook Mollington hotel for 2 nights, we had booked it for our 10th wedding anniversary as we wanted something a little special. Unfortunately at reception the lady behind the desk thought it was always more important to do something else instead of looking after the guests in front of her. The main area and corridors were shabby. We were given a room in the newer part of the hotel the corridor was dark and smelt damp. Then we got to our room, it was awful, a travelogue would have been better!!! The tv didn't work properly, the phone didn't work or the bedside lamp there was one small bottle of water for 2 of us it was dreadful, and the bed was hard & the mattress had definitely seen better days. No do not disturb signs so room maids just walked in, and every time we wanted anything we had to go to reception. Staff looked scruffy and disinterested. Just very upset that what was meant to be a special weekend away this hotel let us down, needless to say we would not return here.

2  Thank CHARLIE200528
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Arrived late after a day in Cheshire oaks. Had requested an upgrade as it was out anniversary but had to make do with 2 soft strawberry tart type things with 'happy anniversary' written on the plate which would have been lovely if the rest of the hotel wasn't so disappointing.

Waited over 25 mins to check in as only one person on reception and she was on the phone.

Walked to room 40 on 1st floor. On the way (ground floor still) the carpet just reeked of beer which wasn't pleasant.

On the way upstairs could see the hotel was definitely in need of re-painting as doors were scuffed and scraped.

Room was boiling hot, stuffy and very worn and dated.

Kettle lid was disgusting, bathroom sink blocked, No Toiletries....never ever experienced a hotel with no shampoo, conditioner etc, especially one that proclaims to be part of a Spa!!

Hair dryer took me back to the 80's as it was a tiny little brown thing that you had to keep your finger on to make it work.....

All in all the only thing going for this hotel is the location as it is about 5 mins drive from Chester.

I was so disappointed and when I told the lady at reception this upon check out, she just smiled and said they 'welcome feedback' ....obviously welcome is all they do as reading previous reviews they aren't acting on feedback or even taking any on board!

I sadly booked this hotel on the 20th through Hotels.com before reading the reviews and was unable to cancel after the 21st without losing all my money, which seemed bizarre but they obviously knew then what I
know now!

2  Thank jomabaala
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My two friends and myself booked this break through hotel and spa breaks. Firstly we were put in a room with no lights working and were moved straight away without any bother. I am not sure if because we booked it through a spa website and maybe got a cheaper deal that we were put in the back part of the hotel which was very quiet and dark and felt more like maid quarters. The second room was very cosy and big enough for the three of us but still right at the back of the hotel. The first night the radiator was on in our room which was lovely and warm, however the second night the whole part of the back building was freezing and from walking from the main part of the hotel in to the back part you could feel the coldness straight away, At Midnight we went downstairs as one of my friends who was pregnant was freezing, unfortunately the young boy did not know what was wrong so we froze all night, we were not offered to move rooms. We did tell the staff on check out, and they said they were sorry. However the food which was included in our package was fantastic and so was the location. It could not have been that bad as when I came home I rebooked for September. I am now taking my husband and child, so when I phoned I explained the problem we had with the cold room and said I did not want to be in the back part of the hotel again with my son and the receptionist said as I was a returning customer she would make a note on my booking and that she would make sure we are in a warm family room and in the main part of the hotel. This time my brother and his wife are coming with us and I am hoping they will be near us, I am just hoping the positioning of the room and the cold was a one off. I will write a review after my visit in Sep/Oct 2013. I am looking forward to revisiting and having a treatment in the wonderful spa.

Room Tip: Ask not to be put in the back part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Came on a last minute deal for a Sunday night. Upgraded to an executive room but was really disappointed. Large room but in an executive I expect full range of toiletries and often a robe. No shampoo - only body wash. One bottle of water and one pack of biscuits to share. No roll with evening dinner and even though I had requested gluten free they could not find any gluten free bread at breakfast. Breakfast was disappointing with no dry fruit or nuts and very limited choice of fruit, Bacon was over cooked and eggs were hard. When I ordered a cappuccino I just got a very milky coffee. Staff were lovely and spa reasonable but there are a wide variety of spa hotels around Chester and this is my least favourite. Very expensive for what we got.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have just returned from what was my first time in this part of the country and although my stay wasn't the cheapest hotel I could have booked it was extremely pleasant. The heat over the last few days has been a killer to everyone and tempers are lost very easily as we had a taxi ride to the hotel from a taxi driver who was definitely suffering from the heat. The hotel welcome was warmly, no air con could cope with this heat.

Our room was comfortable and spacious albeit a little warm but this weather is just beautiful and should be enjoyed. We cooled off in the spa facilities which were excellent before going for a most enjoyable dinner followed by a few drinks in the bar.

All in all I couldn't mark this hotel down as everything that I wanted was there. By the way staff are excellent

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We are genuinely not serial complainers, but this was meant to be a birthday treat and really not worth the £230 pounds for one night that we paid buyagift.com

The first problem was the food. We ordered steak and the chicken livers. The steak was ordered medium rare but came out overcooked. It was actually burnt. The chicken livers were ok, although the texture lead me to believe they had been microwaved. I asked the young waiter who assured me they weren't.

They forgot to send my chips. After asking i was given a bowl of overcooked, greasy horrible bits of chips. Really disappointing.

The next steak turned up and was actually raw. No exageration. We sent it back again. Finally at third attempt we received a rare steak. Not the medium rare ordered, but perfectly edable. However the waitress threw it on the table with no apology. It looked as though she was annoyed with us.

I was very disappointed as this was meant to be a treat for my girlfriends birthday. We rarely spend that sort of money on a one night stay and i was embarassed that this was where i had taken her.

I made a decision to ask for the manager who promptly came over, apologised said that the first steak was a mix up with another table. I showed him the chips and again asked if the chicken livers had been microwaved. He assured me they weren't, i couldnt prove it and to be fair could be wrong, but the texture seemed microwaved to me.

The manager offered to take the mains off of our bill. Although the deal included dinner, we did expect to pay the suppliment so assumed this was what he was offering.
We were happy with this resolution.

To be fair the manager realised this and returned to our table and offered to also take the bottle of wine we drank off the bill.

We finished our meal with an average desert, had a drink and went to bed. The room was roasting hot with only a window that opened 2 inches for ventalation. I opened the curtains wider to get in more air to find loads...and i mean loads of dead insects on the window sil. This clearly hadnt been cleaned for some time. Again i was embarassed.

Breakfast was cold and horrible. We are not fussy eaters but were disappointed again.

Too many things wrong to be classified as a 4 star and we will never ever return.

2  Thank Chris111111111
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Doubletree by Hilton Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
#10 of 45 in Chester
Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester
Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel

Been to Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!