“One disappointed couple”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Llangristiolus, null, United Kingdom
“One disappointed couple”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Booked a double room at this hotel ,on arrival was told they had not received the booking,and there were no double rooms left
They then said they had a family room which we had to take
The room was actually up a steep stairs in the attic nothing like the rooms in the photos of the hotel
I don't know why we were put in this room is it because we had a good deal for the room?
The hotel did not look like it was full with the number of guests in the bar and restaurant and at breakfast in the morning
One thing i did notice the receptionist said at checking in my first name and my wife first name without me telling her so she must have received the booking as this is the only place where she would have got or first names
One disappointed couple expecting a room as in photos

Room Tip: don't go up to the attic
3 Thank David J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed June 15, 2013

My partner and I found this location to be simply average. Perhaps the biggest complaint is the first person you meet, reception. Efficient for certain but not friendly. I, being a smoker, asked where the smoker could smoke. She indicated out front, which is less than desirable for a smoker. Later in the day I noticed out back. Ask if and found out YES. A very lovely garden area with tables and chairs. If she could have indicated THAT area, all would have begun better.
The room? Serviceable. The breakfast was fine. The location seems geared to bridal functions and spa functions, more than the average tourist.

Room Tip: Room on the back overlooking the lovely garden. The front is a parking lot!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
DUmmat, Owner at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
I am a little confused by the relevance of the title to your post , “Some Trouble “,
It is very unusual for any of our guests not to consider The Mollington to be ideally located for sightseeing in the historic town of Chester as despite its rural location it is less than a 5 mins drive away . Chester Zoo and Cheshire Oaks are also easily accessible .

At The Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel we do try to accommodate and respect the particular needs of all our guests and residents .I am sure that you can appreciate that like all Hotels we have designated smoking areas. Naturally this is for the comfort of both smokers and non –smokers alike . Please accept my sincere apologies if you were not advised of all these areas initially as I will , of course ,discuss this oversight with our Reception Team .

The Hotel has an iconic and grade 2 listed frontage. The extensive car park is at the front making the Hotel immediately accessible from all roads . This leaves the beautiful gardens at the rear ,overlooked by original Manor House, as a tranquil and relaxing spot to be enjoyed by all our guests and residents .
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I was travelling with my wife and two year old son on an overnight stopover during a trip from Ireland to Nottingham. The main reasons for picking this hotel were the exterior of the hotel and it’s grounds plus the spa facilities, both of which we planned to let our two year old use before the 3 hour drive on to Nottingham.
The photo of the exterior shows the back of the hotel, behind the photographer is a well used road linking the main drive to the leisure centre / spa. There is another patch of grass at the side of the hotel, the front of which looks like a 1960s council built old people’s home.

Positives:
The swimming pool was fine for kids and the leisure centre receptionist was friendly. I agree with other reviews that it was not really a spa.
Our room was clean as was the bathroom.
Room service food was ok, I had a fish cake burger and liked it. Good standard pub food level.
Hotel location was good, on a busy road close to both Chester and the Zoo.
Breakfast staff were friendly and helpful

Negatives:
The receptionist was surly and unwelcoming I felt.

The hall way down to the room was dirty, damp, dark, panels were off the walls exposing pipes, ceiling panels looked like stained polysterene panels similar to 1970s libraries. It was unpleasant and where the panels had been removed I felt it was dangerous for a child. Renovations have to take place but at no point did the receptionist warn us of renovation work before handing us our key card.

We asked for full fat milk and was told that the hotel did not stock it. When I asked where I could get some I was told to go to the garage down the road. The garage didn’t stock it either but the guy there was a lot more helpful and directed me to an Aldi. I used to work in hospitality, specifically doing room service in a four star hotel and can’t envisage sending a guest off into a town he doesn’t know for an item as basic as milk.

We had to wait 20 minutes for a room service menu before we could even order. Again the person delivering the food was not particularly pleasant. I missed this as I was in Aldi.

The walls were paper thin, our room neighbours were not loud but when they returned to their room we could hear each conversation word for word as well as their television. It was loud enough to prevent any of us sleeping. When I mentioned this to the receptionist the next morning she laughed and told me there was nothing they could do about the noise other than rebuild the hotel. Personally, given it was an end room I’d have mounted the television on the wall not adjoining one of the other rooms.

Breakfast was bad. Branflakes, cornflakes and four slices of melon were all that was available, the cooked element was ok.

I don’t expect too much from an €80 room. If a room and hotel are bright and clean, if the staff are nice and I can get some fruit and cereal in the morning I’m happy. I didn’t leave The Brook Mollington happy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank P_Pierce_Ireland

Travelers are raving about these Mollington hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2013

In fairness to the manager, once he heard our comments below, he did return the voucher but,
To quote their website http://www.brook-hotels.co.uk/hotels/mollington-banastre-hotel-events
"The traditional afternoon tea is an experience in itself ......."
"You will be served a variety of dainty sandwiches with delicious fillings. For those with a sweet tooth the array of sweet pastries, cheesecake and slices of cake are sure to be a delight! And finally, if not most importantly, the choice of tea that range from Earl Grey and English Breakfast to more unusual varieties from China and India, plus caffeine-free versions."
as background, I was given a Champagne afternoon tea for two voucher as a Christmas gift from my partner so that me and my sister could have an enjoyable quality experience together for my birthday.
We booked our visit for 7 June. We arrived at the hotel to find it near deserted. We were clearly the only people booked in for an afternoon tea. We should have realised this was the 1st warning sign of what was to follow. We were asked if we wanted tea and coffee, we replied tea. at no point we were given a choice of tea. The tea arrived and the food a few minutes later. The presentation was lacking. The 9 finger sandwiches were piled up, bread was cracking and some were dried out. Cheese and tomato, ham (in such thick chunks you couldn't bite through them, plus the gristle) and a splodge of smoked salmon on buttered bread, no cream cheese or cucumber.
the array of sweet pastries etc was non-existent. we got 4 pieces of a madeira cake that was dry and inedible. the only half-tasty item, on the underwhelming plate used to present the food, was the scone, clotted cream and jam. At no point did anyone come to check if we wanted more tea, if the food was OK, or come to offer us our glass of champagne.
When we raised our concern with the manager, he apologised and said he couldn't understand as they hadn't had complaints before. He said he would speak to the chef and gave as a possible excuse that someone else had prepared the afternoon tea. Upon leaving the hotel, we were unable to exit the car park due to a number of cars entering - occupied by what looked like a large wedding party. Perhaps that's why our afternoon tea was below par. But given we were the only people there having afternoon tea it's hardly a great excuse.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Irlam101
DUmmat, Owner at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
There can be no excuse for our Afternoon Tea experience being as you have described below .
Please accept my sincere apologies for your obvious disappointment as on this occasion “The Afternoon Tea” clearly did not meet with your expectations and fell short of our Brook Standard . I have spoken to Mr Gavin , our General Manager regarding this . I have noted all your comments regarding the types of Tea , Coffee, Sandwiches and Cakes offered to you and as a part of this experience. The shortfall that you have drawn to my attention will now be addressed immediately .

Whilst we did return your voucher to be used elsewhere or at a later date , I fully appreciate that this does not alter your disappointment so once again please accept my apologies .
Padiham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We booked the Brook Mollington through Superbreak and thought with it being a 4 star hotel that this would be fine and I wouldn't need to look into any reviews but a couple of days before we went, my husband decided to look on Trip Advisor to see what sort of review it received from other guests. We were a little shocked and worried with what people were writing and this really put a downer on our getaway for our anniversary. We arrived just after 3 and was greeted by the receptionist who was very helpful and told us where everything were, where we eat, the gym, the pool or room etc. We went up to our room which was very nice and over looked the garden, unpacked and went to check the facilities out. The hotel inside is very characteristic but in a nice way. As for the gym and swim pool for being dated, these weren't the case at all. All the staff were very polite and couldn't do enough for us.
If I were being picky then there would be little bits in the room that could be replaced but there was nothing wrong like anyone on here. The location is perfect only 5 minutes from town and the Zoo which is why we went. It was a very peaceful hotel and we sat out in the gardens both days we were there.

Maybe the people that put a bad review on here have had bad experiences but we enjoyed our stay and would definitely go back!

3 Thank Zoe A
DUmmat, Owner at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
I am very grateful to you for writing this post and sharing your delight and pleasure of your recent stay with us at the Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel . It is very rewarding for me to read this .Quite often guests who have an equally wonderful visit generally lead such busy lives that they understandably get side tracked from commenting on Trip Advisor . I and all the team at The Hotel appreciate your kind comments regarding your “break away “with us and of course look forward to welcoming you back to relax at The Mollington Banastre or one of our other Brook Hotels very soon .
Grand Cayman
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed here for one night in May.

The hotel is in a fairly rural location, but is very close to Chester - no more than 5 minutes by taxi.

The building itself is kind of 70s modern, not particularly pretty but perfectly ok inside. We had one of the 4 poster rooms which was very large, with a splendid bathroom and all the usual conveniences. The bed was very comfortable indeed. It would have been nice to have a more interesting view than a tree, and considering it was meant to be one of their best rooms it was quite a long walk from reception, but that wasn't much of a hardship.

Where this pace really scores highly though is the staff. Everyone was extremely helpful, friendly and cheerful. Nothing was too much trouble, even when we arrived back very late and quite well refreshed and wanted to get served at the bar after they had technically closed.

Breakfast the next morning was perfectly ok for the price, without being memorable. They might want to think about sourcing some higher quality ingredients.

We paid about £140 in lauding breakfast for two, which I thought was great value.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
DUmmat, Owner at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
I am pleased to hear that you found the location of the Hotel so convenient for visiting Chester and the surrounding area . Chester Zoo and Cheshire Oaks are also only a few minutes away ..The iconic 1950s -60s frontage of the Brook Mollington Banastre carries a prestigious Grade 2 Listing whilst the rear of the Hotel adjacent to the garden and surrounding countryside is part of the original Manor House of 1853 . I am delighted that you chose to stay in one of our 4 poster rooms and were happy with both the luxury and space of the room.
It is always rewarding to hear that the staff made your visit more personal and comfortable and I will let Mr Gavin , our general manager share your kind review with them .
Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us at The Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel and I look forward to welcoming you both back very soon .
Leeds
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed here with the wife for a couple of days at the end of May. I disagree with some of the comments on this site about the staff, all staff from the waitress to the bar staff and reception were really nice and polite. We ate in the restaurant on the first night and the meal was lovely. I had the pork belly for the main and my wife had the Mollington burger ( 7oz beef pate, chicken fillet, bacon and cheese) which also came with homemade chips and onion rings. The rooms were nice and clean and the maid changed the towells and did a good job in general. Is this a 4 star hotel? Probably not, I would say that it is a good standard 3 star, parts of the hotel look a little tired and could do with a facelift, in our room most of the decor was good but the paint on the skirting boards was peeling off which let the room down a little. As we booked this hotel through Groupon I thought we got very good value.The location was exellent for the reasons we went to Chester, we visited the zoo and had a night out in Chester city center, both destinations only a 5 minute drive from the hotel. The public areas were comfortable and well looked after, it was nice to just chill out in the lounge before and after dinner. Would I return to this hotel? yes, but only with a deal on, I don't think I would pay full price because as i said earlier in my opinion the hotel itself ( not the staff or food which I would say were 4 star quality) would be a 3 star Hotel

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your positive view of the Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel on this site as I know that the entire team at our Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel always provide a warm and friendly welcome to our guests. I will, of course ,pass your kind comments regarding their levels of service and attention to detail on to the General Manager for his next staff briefing .I am delighted also that you enjoyed dining with us and that the dishes you chose, freshly prepared by Chef and his team were appreciated by you both . The Pork Belly is also one of my particular favourites !
With guests in residence , there is almost always a constant need to redecorate and retouch paint work in some of the more heavily trafficked areas . However, we have recently redecorated some of the bedrooms and a rolling programme will ensure that remaining rooms and some of our public areas receive this attention in the forthcoming months . Of course , it goes without saying but I look forward to welcoming you both back to stay with us at The Mollington when you next visit Chester .
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Crowne Plaza Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
#10 of 44 in Chester
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,597 reviews

Been to Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!