“Dirty and shabby” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Yorkshire
“Dirty and shabby”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

What a shame this hotel has been left to get into a state like this. I have stayed in quite a few hotels in the Chester area and this certainly is not 4 star it is only 2 ! The corridoors are dark and dingy as well as smelly. Our room granted was on a deal but was dreadfully out dated. The furmiture is shabby and i would hate to own it myself ! The bathroom had actually been cleaned quite well and think been re grouted around the bath. How many 4 star hotels have shabby shower curtains not screens they do here ! The guests we were with had no soap or hair dryers in the rooms. The spa area leaves a lot to be desired, the changing rooms were disgusting, even dirty towels on the floor and seating areas. The ceilings were filthy also. I felt as if i really couldnt relax at all. Such a shame as with a litle thought and cleanliness this place could be really nice. Breakfasts were just adequate, and our dinner on one night was nothing special, lousy service just ignored when we asked for drinks etc. Certainly would not recommend this place if you want cleanliness and relaxation . Sorry Brook Mollington but you really need to re think how you run this place.

Room Tip: Just hope your room is better than mine was
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kerseygn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Formby
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. People were literally queuing up to complain and demand their money back. We arrived and the hotel looks nothing like the country manor in the image, I can not see where that photo was taken. The corridors are dark and run down. The bedrooms are dated and bathrooms rotten. This is not a spa hotel, there is a leisure club with a grotty pool and jacuzzi, it looked so filthy we refused to use it. The toilets and changing area are messy and run down with towels strewn every where and ceiling tiles missing...

We spent our entire trip waiting for service. At dinner drinks arrived after the starters, the food was inedible and there is a white net hanging from the ceiling covered in dead flies.

There was a prom on the Friday night and guests had to share the toilets with drunk students.

We left immediately in the morning as we did not want to shower in the hotel as grime was pouring out of the tap. I felt dirty as soon as we entered the hotel, it just did not feel clean.

The walls are paper thin we were woken up with the room next door complaining about the rate they had paid for this poor accommodation.

I feel so sorry for the staff working at this hotel, constantly receiving complaints there are clearly management issues. The hotels advertising is very misleading, it is not a spa hotel and I can not see how the hotel would receive 2 stars let alone 4! Apparently the hotel is going to be refurbished but they should demolish it as it appears beyond repair and is an eyesore. I would not stay here again if you paid me, it was only out of politeness to mom who invited me and being in her company that I agreed to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MillyFormby

Travelers are raving about these Mollington hotels

nottinghamhshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

We pulled up into the car park and my first thoughts were OMG. The pictures on the website are nothing like what they portray.
We checked in and went to our room and it was OK, but the bathroom wasnt very clean. The bath itself wasnt very long and there was no way my husband would have fit in it.
We then ventured down to have a look around the rest of the hotel, and in my opinion the hotel needs a revamp, decorating, new furniture etc.
The swimming pool water didnt look very clear so we missed out on using it, however my husband went to the gym and afterwards he went into the changing rooms he said it was disugusting, absolutely filthy.
Continental brekkie was pathetic, tinned fruit and croissant. More to say but no space.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank melanie w
Cheshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Took my mum for a spa as a birthday treat. A very relaxing, enjoyable morning spent in and out of the pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam followed by a wonderful hot stone massage. The staff were very friendly, helpful and courteous and Sam was an excellent masseuse. A table was set ready for our lunch when we finished and the food was delicious and plentiful. Would definitely recommend. A great way to unwind on your day off!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Really great weekend everything is within 5 miles. Really good restaurants night life. Must be able to drive as a bit out of the way. Hotel room was amazing best uk room ive stayed in. Staff were friendly. Food was great. No issues apart from the cleanliness in the bathroom may need looked at but nothing horrific. Loved my stay and will return

• Stayed April 2013
Wrexham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was treated to a night away for my birthday and my partner booked the Mollington as it was a 4 star and had a spa attached. I had a little look at previous reviews and was abit put off but didnt say anything to my partner. Check in wasn't the most welcoming experience, the receptionist just pointed to the spa area and gave us our key. We worked out the way to our room and found it was right at the other end of the building. The room was fine and had a nice view of the gardens. We ate at the hotel restaurant and the staff were lovely and friendly :) although they did look rushed off their feet. Food was ok but nothing special for a 4 star. Went back to the room and sat on the bed to find one of the bed bases had sunk so there was a massive 'hole' on one side of the bed. Luckily it was towards the bottom end of the bed and It was late so we didn't want to worry the hotel with a change of room so just made do. Have to agree with previous comments on the pillows. I have never seen pillows so thin, it was strange.
Went for a swim and sauna in the morning and found it to be really nice and relaxing and was probably the best part of my time at the hotel. Breakfast was a chaotic experience with us showed to our table before rushing off to bring us tea and coffee. The hot buffet was empty apart from a few sad looking sausages so i waited... and waited... in the end i had to ask if they would be bringing any food out. Shame really as you could see the staff were really rushed and there wasn't that many people having breakfast.
The lady on reception when we checked out was lovely and chatty :) told her about the bed and she said she would ask house keeping to have a look. So the stay was a mixed bag really. Probably wouldn't return unless it is a heavily discounted rate, kind of expected abit more for a 4 star hotel. Enjoyed the spa facilities and think it would be a good place to stay if you were on a night our/business in Chester but there are nicer places around the area for a special occasion.

Room Tip: Room 49 is nice as long as they fix the bed and you dont mind being away from the main area (recepti...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
wolverhampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

I normally take other people's poor reviews with a pinch if salt but what previous reviewers have said about the paper thin walls and the quality of the pillows etc is so true. I could hear every word from the room next door and in the corridor (probably due to the gap under the door...dunno what that's about) and the pillows were so flat that my neck now aches (I can normally sleep anywhere as can my husband but these were seriously flat!!!)
Breakfast was nice, didnt use any spa facilities or try the evening meal so can't comment.
I will just add though that the picture displayed on their website is actually the back if the building so when you arrive do not expect an old, manor type pretty building, cus it looks a bit like 1970s council built houses....pretty from the rear though.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Crowne Plaza Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
#11 of 45 in Chester
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,557 reviews

Been to Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!