“Luke warm breakfast”

Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Reviewed April 25, 2013

The breakfast was luke warm on each occasion evening meal was fine duck a little tough though,
the room was ok if a little dated shower curtain smelt like it needed a good wash or better still replacing. On going to reception to check out given the wrong bill then my bill which was also incorrect receptionist put it right then blamed key board error maybe go again!

1  Thank nigel m
Write a ReviewReviews (1,700)

Reviewed April 23, 2013

My friend and I stayed for two nights at this hotel and I would say it was very average. Our bedroom was large and the bathroom was clean and adequate. The hotel was cold and the heating in our room didn't work but the management gave us a couple of convector heaters. Unfortunately the fire alarm went off at 12.15pm and we had to evacuate the building and stand in the freezing cold with the snow coming down but, of course, this was unavoidable. The restaurant meals were average and the breakfast was poor - no porridge one morning! The bar had no pineapple juice so I couldn't have the cocktail I wanted, although the barman was very friendly and helped as much as he could. The building is a bit dated and in need of decoration. We didn't use the spa facilities. It is OK for a couple of nights but not for a longer stay

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank bartonbelle
Reviewed April 19, 2013

My friend and I have just spent two nights at this hotel and it was a very mixed experience to say the least. When we checked in the lady on reception was so curt and unfriendly, the process was pain free but conducted in a very brusque manner. Our room was at the back of the hotel so very quiet, it was an adequate size and the bathroom was ok, the room just seemed tired and in need of a spruce up, the bed was ok ish, could perhaps do with a new mattress, our bed side lights were mismatched but otherwise it was spotlessly clean and the housekeeping was first rate. We ate in the restaurant both nights the menu was quite varied, the food was good and the staff were pleasant and worked hard to look after the diners, what was lacking, was atmosphere, the place was deathly quiet, no nice background music, just silence. The bar staff were very welcoming and happy to chat with the customers, the big downfall for this hotel is the leisure centre, its dated, the facilities are terrible and the overall impression is the lack of cleanliness. The ladies changing room is cold, I would guess half of the lockers are broken, the area is cramped, it has an unpleasant odour, the ceiling tiles are stained and dirty and some of them are missing, not all the showers have privacy curtains and it is very dingy. There is a ladies sauna which on the two nights I was there was not on, carrying on to the pool area things don't get much better, there is a small sauna next to a steam room which smells and is so small, if you sit on the right hand side you cannot touch the wall as if you do you will burn yourself. The pool is only just over one metre deep and around the pool there is a lot of stuff just lying around, flotation aid's etc.a I am a member of a leisure club close to home which puts this spa area to shame really as it is spotlessly clean and inviting. We had some of the beauty treatments on offer and they were fabulous, reasonably priced and well done, hats off to that particular area of the hotel. The hotel needs a total revamp, it lacks atmosphere and appeal, the staff, with the exception at check in were all friendly and helpful. There is clearly a big market for corporate functions as there are several suites, weddings are held regularly and the hotel appears busy in the organisation of this sector of business, it all seems, however, to be at the expense of the hotel guests, if it improved I would certainly stay again but not right now, there are other hotels close by which will most likely offer a better experience than the Mollington does.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank irenenights
Reviewed April 19, 2013

My Husband brought me a two night stay through Buy a Gift in March and we decided to use this for the 18th/19th April 2013. The drive up to the Hotel was beautiful however on arrival I thought from the front of the hotel it did not look like a 4 star hotel. We went to check in(2pm) and was told the rooms were not available and to come back later, the receptionist was far from welcoming. We then managed to check in at 5:30pm the lift was so small this was no way for 4 people as stated. We found that the room was very dated and the bathroom was very small(good job I was not fat otherwise I would have had no chance of fitting in). The room was cold maybe this has something to do with a large gap at the bottom of the doorway and also the door catch was loose and was not screwed in secure.(Room 38). The hotel in general was noisy and had very thins walls so much so we could hear word for word from the neighbours. Before bed we wanted to brush our teeth and wash however there was no water available(it was turned off from (11pm-630am) however we was not made aware it was a good job we had bottled water in the room. I telephoned the receptionist to enquire what was happening and their was no answer this was after 10 minutes of calling so my Husband had to go down and speak to a member of staff. I woke up this morning with the worst back and neck ache ever the beds are horrid and so uncomfortable every time I turned around a spring was in my side or back. When we complained this morning the lack of customer service was rubbish in fact it took 2 hours for someone to resolve our complaint and we left unhappy as we were told to refer back to Buy a gift as technically it was there problem. I would avoid at all costs. The nicest thing about this hotel was the wedding dress in the reception area.

Room Tip: Do not ask for Room 38.
2  Thank holidays4me_9
DUmmat, Owner at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

I am very disappointed to read this post from you today . As a gesture of goodwill for your disappointment our General Manager resolved this with you and your husband at the time . You were advised that your voucher had been refunded completely to “Buy a Gift” for you to re redeem elsewhere. Mr Gavin , also spoke to “Buy a Gift “ on your behalf to negotiate and extend the date of use for this voucher . Although you also contacted our Head Office seeking further redress you failed to give us the time or opportunity to resolve this matter for you in any other way . At Brook Hotels we always investigate any issues bought to our attention seriously and sympathetically. I am sure you can appreciate that it clearly in the best interests of all concerned to reach an amicable and satisfactory solution . Your room has been re-inspected by Mr Gavin and the Chairman of Brook Hotels today and we have also tracked the history of recorded maintenance issues with his room .We are happy that we have no case to answer . At this moment I believe we have done all we can. Your original purchase was with “ Buy a Gift “ you will now need to contact them directly for a monetary refund if that is what you desire

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Arrived at this hotel yesterday, looks good from the outside nicely placed in the English countryside. From then the whole experience fell apart and hence why am writing this here today, as the hotel needs to realise they need to up their game dramatically.

Check-in: Booked on Booking.com at a rate, they attempted to charge a higher standard rate, reluctance to charge the previously agreed rate.

Room Key - the room key system would appear to be very old, and prone to faults. When allocated my room and I initially couldnt gain entry (I later found out this was already a known problem) the suggestion was for me, rather than giving me a new room was for me to have to go to reception any-time I wanted a room. The staff were surprised when I didn't accept these new terms of imprisonment and implied that I was asking too much!

Dinner was okay.

Room itself is again okay, very tired in places.

Bathroom is a complete nightmare, and aside from the door related issues the stand out problem for me. The shower took the best part of 10 minutes to heat up and even when it did, the complete lack of pressure in the water system made the whole shower experience unbearable.

Terrible reviews are hard to give out on TripAdvisor but in this case due. When you look at the hotels website the hotel is built up to be an impressive establishment when in reality its not. The hotel appears to have had no investment, and hence the staff feel undervalued and not surprisingly they are not particularly friendly or helpful. Changes really do need to be made.

They can perform a wake up call..

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Jake N
BeverleyManager, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Dear Jake
Thank you for your review. You mention at the end that changes need to be made and I would like to let you know that this has happened. I have recently taken over as General Manager and am aware of both the positives and negatives with the hotel at the moment. I have employed a new head chef and have also instigated a maintenance program to include painting and overhauling of certain areas. I will get maintenance to investigate the room locks and water pressure that you have highlighted.
One of the big positives of the hotel is the staff without whom I would achieve nothing. Please rest assured that moving forward they are extremely valued and supported by myself and wherever there has been shortcomings in the past where they have either not been trained correctly or given resources to do their jobs this will be rectified.

I believe in happy customers which can only be achieved through happy staff and I shall hopefully look forward to seeing you in the future so you can see the changes we have made.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

My sister had her wedding over the road from Mollington Banastre I personally spoke to the hotel with regards accommodation and arranged rooms for all wedding guests, my sister arranged buses to bring people to the hotel and after confirming late check ins we were refused a room for the mother & father of the bride,clearly a hotel error they said there were not enough rooms and they couldn't accommodate them. Given the circumstances 2 relations offered to forefeit their rooms if the hotel could cover a taxi home for them to get home which the hotel said was not their fault and they would not do. Eventually a manager was called and miraculously a room was found but I would not trust this hotel for special occasions. I have to undertake many corporate functions here nt out of choice and the service and standard s always bad but the charges always high. Fine if you get a special offer but I wouldn't pay full price for anything at this hotel.

Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank missbeckie

Dear Beckie

I would ask that you call me as soon as possible on 01244-851156.

I have recently taken over as General Manager and am not aware of any such event taking place recently at the hotel and would like to discuss the details with you as the events you describe bear no correlation to anything that has happened and I would like to be able to establish the facts and circumstances of the situation you describe.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed here with my new husband for the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff were very welcoming, our room had a great view and the food was great. Very relaxed atmosphere with really friendly feel. iI'll definately be back for another get away!

Dear Alice

Thank you very much for your kind review and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Congratulations on your recent marriage and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Fintan Gavin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Crowne Plaza Chester
#12 of 45 in Chester
Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester
Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel

Been to Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!