“Good stay with family”

Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Having read some reviews we were a little worried. The hotel could look better on the outside, but we had a huge family room which suited our needs and the decor and amenities were good in the room.The kids also enjoyed the swimming pool. We stayed with a booking from superbreaks which included the tickets for Chester Zoo, it was a bargain! Breakfast was good. Drinks from the bar were a little slow in the evening, due to them serving the restaurant as well. A good stay, not sure it is a 4 star hotel, although good enough and would stay again!

Room Tip: We had a room at the top of the hotel, lower rooms may be noisy due to squeaky floors and everyone w...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
GGouri, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear MPMHarrogate,

Your review on this site of the Mollington Banastre is much appreciated. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the kids made use our facilities. Your comments on the bar have been passed on and assure you that when you visit again they will be upto your expectations.
I do look forward to your next visit to Chester and the hotel.

G Gourishankar

Write a ReviewReviews (1,745)

Reviewed November 4, 2012

First impressions looked like a block of council flats, fount the pics very mis leading on website as the pic is taken from the back of building, crafty! :-( had bought a over night spa package, i fount there was no guidance to what we was entitled to where to go or anything, the hotel needs to get the basics right before anything else i.e decor n cleanliness, i went to use the steam roon and sauna the one down my local swimming baths is bigger! Fount a few health And safety issues withon the sauna there was no cover over the hot ricks and floor wAs slippy potential major accident awaiting! Steam room was to pokey if there was more than 2 in your group you would have to take it in turns, the jacuzzi was racked off i coukdnt get it to bubble and there was no help on hand to do so the tiles were cracked and some missing! The changing room showers were old shabby grubby filthy and most of all freezing! Had to wait to get use of a locker as they was a lot broken and keys missing! The bathrobes and towel were like wrapping cardboard around you! Goin on to a positive note the beauticians were lovely and treatment were good but i felt there was nothing to do whilst waiting for our time slot in the treatment room! We had something to eat in the spa my sisters burger was bright pink in the middle and she waited 45 mins i had a sandwich with salad and was only given cutlery once my sisters food came to which by then i had eaten it as my bread was toasted! We then went back to our hotel room throught the darkened stinking corridors with damp carpets! We was given a family room instead of a twin where there was children that awoke me in the night in next room i was not happy! :-( the ceiling lights had so many cob webs i had to brush my teeth using hot water as the cold tap was running hot and the sink has extremely slow drainage! On a plus side the tv waz a decent size but that is about it for the bedroom, we had large window with damp and lots of condensation so much so it was leaked over onto my slippers by the morning! Breakfast was ok a lot better than my evening meal to which i had to send back my onion rings as the was just rings on grease i had paid £3.95 for 11 chips and i was slightly confused as my chicken breast what i ordered had a bone in! :-/ my chocolate pudding wAs warm and very dry, i think its disgusting that there was supplements that we had to pay for, all your menus need checking as the menu on reception doesnt had the supplement req on the lamb shank yet the menus in restaurant area do so i hsd to have chicken as the waiteess said i would have to pay even tho the sane menu in reception area doesnt state that! The hotel lift is not for the faint hearted to say the least! Its very jumpy and dated, after one night in that bed i had bad back pain! When it was time to check out they tried to charge me for a couple of drinks when i ensured i paid everything throughout my stay in cash so i wouldnt have a unsightly bill, the recrptionist screwed her face when i challenged her to this! Is this how you try to make even more money out us hard working paying customers??? This is my 1st and last visit here and to be quite honest this experience has put me off spa packages for quite some time! Unhappy customer, feed back required [--]

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Nataliepopat
Reviewed November 3, 2012

On arrival we found that our room had been upgraded from standard to executive as my husband had informed them that it was my birthday and our wedding anniversary. He had hoped for perhaps a room with a nice view but we were really pleasantly surprised as the room although a little 'tired' was really nice and unexpected. My only gripe was that there was a shower curtain not a screen over the bath, which is a personal choice only.
The room was clean and tidy with an enormous bed, but as the room was so big did not make it at all cramped. The maids went in each day and kept it clean and tidy which was appreciated.
There were flowers and sparkling wine waiting for us, these were added to our bill but we were not complaining as we had expected to pay for anything that could be done at that late stage (booking made the night before we arrived)
Breakfasts were a little disappointing, waiting for coffee refills and some of the ingredients used were obviously 'catering standard'
The 3 course meal we had on our last night (wedding anniversary) in the restaurant was good and the waiting staff were pleasant and observant.
The staff generally were very polite and anything they were asked about was no trouble to them. Some appear to be multi skilled as we saw some on a number of different assignments during our stay
The spa ( massage and facial) was enjoyable but very much kept within time, rather quick if anything with time to spare.
All in all a very enjoyable time

Room Tip: If you have a special date during your stay let the hotel know in advance
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear petlyn0248,

Thank you for your kind comments which have been passed onto the team. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and had the time to make use of our spa.

It is a pleasure that we were able to ensure that you enjoyed your anniversary and birthday celebrations at such notice.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again maybe next time on your pre christmas shopping break.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Having booked a night in this hotel as a treat, my husband and I were quite disappointed. The hotel looks very tired and outdated both inside and out and the facilities were certainly nowhere near what I would expect of a 4* establishment. On arrival we were told that their key card machine was broken and they couldn't give us a key to our room so whenever we left the room we had to be escorted and let back in by a member of staff. We were told that because the machine crashed after 5pm no-one could come out to fix the machine until the next morning. Frankly this seemed a bit ridiculous to me - a hotel clearly is a 24 hour business so I'd expect them to have tech support available whenever they needed, particularly for a machine that affected so many of their guests!

Our room was mostly clean although there was a used towel left on the floor when we arrived! The bathroom was pleasant but the bath was tiny, I am only 5'5" and couldn't lie even half-flat in it. The spa facilities were clean but the sauna and steam room were cosy to say the least. We ordered food in the bar for our evening meal and it was nice but no more impressive than something you might eat in a chain pub like a Wetherspoons. The breakfast buffet in the morning was really disappointing - there were basic things missing that we'd expect to be there, like baked beans and scrambled eggs. They also were very slow at restocking when things ran out, and when they ran out of pastries (about an hour before the end of breakfast service) we were just told there were no more coming.

For the cost of the stay and for a place that rates itself as 4* I would have expected a lot more, I wouldn't recommend this hotel unless you get a very cheap deal on it!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Libby J
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We have just returned from this hotel as booked it through Superbreak with Chester Zoo tickets, unbelievable value. The hotel is tired and in need of some refurbishment however the room was very clean and comfortable even if a bit dated. We had a spacious family room with 2 bedrooms. \we stayed for Halloween and had dinner in the restaurant and it was of a high quality.The breakfast was superb too. The staff were very friendly and helpful. However a bit unprofessional on checking out the manager was discussing weekly sales figures and targets /occupancy levels to "boss" in a very loud voice on the phone,surely this should be done in a back office.Overall enjoyed ourselves

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
GGouri, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Dear alfredandloz,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on this site. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the room was to your satisfaction. The hotel is a 19th century mansion house with a lot of history in it and is currently undergoing a planned maintenance programme to upgrade some of the areas whilst trying to maintain its olde worlde charm.

I have passed on your compliments about the food to the chef and her team in the kitchen, this is greatly appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back to hotel when you are next in the Chester area.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Visited here for a function and that I can have no complaints about - however, most others things I can. When I checked in I was sent to a room that was already occupied. I had to return to the desk and was asked if I was sure! No one knew who was in there but I was given another room. The room, like the hotel, is in despearate need of renovation and updating. It is a shame as the place has character but this is lost in the shoddy decor. Can easily find somewhere else better I think.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
GGouri, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear ScouseGinner,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at the hotel. The hotel is currently going through a vast planned maintenance and we are looking forward to the character which you mention to be restored. I must apologise there was a mix up with your check in but was soon rectified.

On a positive note I am glad you enjoyed the function and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when next you are in Chester.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

My fiancé and myself enjoy our weekends away throughout the year, although this was one to remember for all the wrong reason. There is no way this is a 4 star.
Understaffed was an understatement. The food that we were served on Friday evening was shocking. We had to send 3 main meals back and there was only 2 of us! The manager never even bothered to show his face to apologise.
The hotel generally is in need of TLC, first impressions aren't too bad but the cleanliness of the room was questionable.
When they say its five mins from Chester I think they must mean by helicopter as its on a main road some of which has no path.....it's certainly is far from central with nothing close by.
Having spent a couple of days in lovely Chester there are far better places to stay.
Avoid like the plague

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dan R

Dear Dan R,

Your comments on this site have been noted. May I apologise that the hotel did not meet with your expectation on this occasion.

All comments both positive and constructive are acted upon and from time to time are used for re training purposes. As this was a quality issue it has been brought to the attention of our suppliers who have assured me that the matter will be rectified.

As a gesture of goodwill I would like to invite you back so that we could change your perception of the hotel.

G Gourishankar

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa
Crowne Plaza Chester
#13 of 45 in Chester
Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester
Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel

Been to Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!