“A lovely weekend”

Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I treated my fiance to a birthday weekend stay and spa, the price was reasonable and the spa treatments too. When we arrived we where greeted the hotel staff who where very efficient, friendly and accommodating. We had lunch off the bar menu in the garden which delicious, the gardens and exterior where well maintained and produced a very relaxing environment, an excellent sun trap on a sunny weekend. After spending an enjoyable day out in Chester we returned back to the hotel to sample the evening menu, although the price were reasonable the choices was very limited and then decided to choose off the bar menu, although some items on that menu were not available. After our meal we were entertained by a pianist who was very willing to take requests and enjoyed the night. The breakfast was excellent and the again the staff were very pleasant. The Spa facilities are excellent with a male and female sauna (inc. a unisex) and a steam room. My fiance had a facial and a full body massage and I had a shoulder and back massage which was very good and would highly recommend to anyone who is staying there. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is visiting Chester because of it's close proximity and pleasant surroundings. The staff really made our stay even more enjoyable.

Room Tip: If the rest of rooms are as nice as ours, there isn't a problem. Nice and quiet
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
GGouri, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2012

Dear Danwillashley,

Thank you for your comments with regards to your stay at the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and am looking forward to welcome you back to the hotel at a future date.

Your comments on the menu I am pleased to inform you have been actioned and we have now launched a new A La Carte menu with plenty of choices which I am sure you will enjoy during your next visit.

Reviewed May 12, 2012

My fiance and I had trawled the internet looking for a 4 star hotel and spa in Chester and came across Brook Mollington. The hotel looked lovely and the facilities were just what we were looking for and only a couple of miles from Chester city centre. So we booked 2 nights bed and breakfast for £179.

On arrival, I was extremely disappointed. The picture of the hotel on their website is of the back of it. What you actually see when you arrive can only be described as 70's community centre with a car park full of potholes. We sat in the car for 10 minutes deciding whether to just turn around and go as payment would be taken when we checked out. We decided to go in and have a look. To my surprise, the reception, lounge and bar area were modern and not what you'd expect to see from the exterior. I commented on this to the receptionist who said that she had heard the same thing many times.

We checked in and were told that our room was in the 'new' part of the hotel. It was definitely new in the 60's but the hallway was dark, dirty, parts of the carpet were black where it should be beige, door frames were battered and simply painted over. Everywhere had been given a lick of paint to make it appear clean and new but it needs so much more. We entered our room and again, we were very disappointed. The furniture consisted of a desk and a small round table that must have been put in there when the hotel was built. The quality was consistent with what we had already seen on the walk to the room. The bed was described as large and comfy with thick mattress toppers. What we got was a standard double bed with a summer duvet that wasn't hanging out of the duvet cover. It's the little things that make a difference. The bathroom was large with plenty of towels and like the room itself, very clean.

At this point, we were still undecided as to whether to stay or go. We decided to go to the bar and have a drink. We sat in the conservatory which, on initial appearances, was lovely. When you actually sit down and have a look around, the furniture is a bit worn and windows dirty. As it was a sunny day, we went to sit in the garden with our drinks. This was the highlight of the hotel. If we could pitch a tent in the garden and stay there instead of in the room, this would have been much better.

After a drink, we went back to the room and discussed it more as to whether to stay or go. What the website doesn't tell you is that it is in the flightpath of Hawarden airport and although it's not a very busy airport, when a plane does go overhead, you can hardly hear yourselves talk when in the room. We decided to use the spa facilities to try and relax and unwind. The female changing rooms were filthy. Out of 4 showers, only 2 were working. In the gents changing area it was the same and with mould growing on the walls. We only used the jaccuzzi and whilst sat in there we noticed even more failures. Tiles were missing off the walls in the gents changing rooms. The walls around the squash courts had paint peeling off them and I don't mean little chips. Half of the grills were missing around the edge of the jaccuzzi which exposed the dirt. The ivy on the outside of the big windows at the end of the swimming pool had got through the glass and was actually growing inside. It's more like a leisure centre than a spa. Local kids in their school uniform arrived with their parents just wandering around the pool area.

As I was virtually in tears at having to spend £179 to stay in this awful place, we made a very easy decision to leave and not spend 1 second more anywhere near it. I went back to the car to leave my fiance to explain the situation and was very surprised to see him literally 2 minutes later. He said the receptionist didn't even argue or try to make us stay. This to me says that we are not the first to have done this.

We ended up staying in the Premier Inn in Chester city centre for £52. Ok, they didn't have spa facilities, but then again, you cannot call what Brook Mollington have to offer as a spa. The room was clean with a very comfy large bed with non-damaged furniture.

All in all, the very short stay that we had at Brook Mollington was appauling. It is trying to be something that it isn't but it's not trying anywhere near hard enough. I have no idea how it has achieved its 4 star status.

3  Thank sunseaskihols
GGouri, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2012

Dear Sunseaskihols,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the hotel. The hotel is currently undergoing an extensive planned maintenance programme and the points raised by you are part of the programme. As you can understand due to the nature of the task at hand this takes time. The pool and the spa areas are included in this programme.

Thank you once again for your coments.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

Myself and three friends booked a spa overnight stay at the hotel to include Champagne afternoon tea incl sandwiches and cake. On arrival which involved confusion over the booking we were served the champagne afternoon tea with sandwiches which was devoid of any butter, bread which was decidedly dry and cream that accompanied the scones that was well past it's sell by date. After commenting on this the cream was replaced along with warm fresh scones but by this time the cream had had it's effect on me hence my withdrawal from the dining room. After a lovely swim, sauna and steam room session we changed and went down for evening meal at 8:00 pm eager anticipated as one of the girls had been here 6 weeks earlier with her husband and relayed the spendour of the food in particular the steak which I was looking forward to. The starter of feta, tomato, onion and olives was tasty and we then moved onto the main course of Chicken (for 3 of us) and Turkey (for 1). Plates arrived with what I can only describe as well dry chicken, cold carrots, burnt potatoes, jus no not really burnt gravy and the best of all cabbage that resembled a mound of onions, they were brown, presented in a mound and nothing like anything else I have ever seen. Needless to say all the meals were left untouched with apologies from the waitress and with the hope that dessert would be an improvement. Unfortunately this was not the case, two of the party ordered profiteroles, 1 x rice pudding and 1 x pannacotta. The pannacotta you could bounce your spoon of it and the profiteroles were the texture of cardboard and totally inedible so we finally complained to the Manager who informed us that they were 3 chefs down. This is the hotel's problem and should not have impacted on paying guests surely provision should have been made to bring in agency staff to cover for the number of guests dining there that night. The Manager in his defence offered wine/champagne to compensate. On a better note breakfast was really nice and freshly made for us and on leaving the Manager did offer a complimentary stay if we were next in the area but if they still have the same staff I would probably decline his kind offer. Other than the food the staff in the hotel was helful and very efficient and the spa facilites are lovely.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel can be noisy, two of our party had a room at the front of the hotel...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michelle D
GGouri, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2012

Dear Michelle 1315,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the hotel. Yor comments have been taken in a constructive manner and will be acted upon. May I apologise to you that on this occasion the food did not meet with your expectation.

When you are next in the area I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel so that we could change your perception of the food at the hotel. On a positive note I am glad that you enjoyed our spa facilities, breakfast and the rest of our facilities.

Reviewed May 8, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here with a group of ladies for a hen do. We booked in at the spa for treatments before heading out for a night out in Chester.

There were a few problems during the day which could have been avoided with better planning but because the staff went out of their way to help sort these out it more than made up for them.

It just shows how excellent customer service really does make all the difference and its not always possible to stop problems from arising but its the way you deal with them that really counts.

If your looking for a welcoming place to stay with spa facilities in Chester then you should give it a go.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Riebee

Dear Riebee,

Thank you for letting us know about your stay at the hotel. Yor comments are greatly appreciated and have been passed onto the team at the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel the next time you are in the Chester area.

Reviewed May 5, 2012

Booked this hotel as a weekend away for me and my partner, looked on here and thought ok, some good some bad and it cant really be that bad. From the pictures the hotel looks amazing just what we wanted for a weekend away - all the right facilities, lesiure, spa, beauty a nice quiet retreat to re charge our batteries.

On pulling up to the hotel I swear I thought Id booked the wrong hotel, and my Sat Nav had brought me to the wrong place, an 70's dated looked, pot holed car park and nothing like the pictures on the internet, but hey this was us so we went in and to our suprise what a wonderful inside. So beautful and clean, it was gorgeous more like what I wa expecting.

On checking in the receptionist was wonderful, polite effiecent and gave us all the help that we needed and made us feel very welcome. We went off up to our room, ok again not like the pictures on the internet and a bit dated to be honest. It was warm cozy and very clean so we couldnt fault it and un packed ready for a relaxing weekend.

We dined in the restaurant and to be fair couldnt really fault it, the food was exceptional, hot and very very tasty, the staff we friendly and courteous and made our experience very enjoyable, but sometimes missed the small finer details be who is to complain. We had the same girl service both nights and even though she did look stressed and rushed still made sure we were happy and satisfied.

We used the leisure facilities and again more than happy with these the jaquzzi was definately the highlight and took all the stress away from our normal lives. It does need a little bit of TLC, dated but fairly clean may be just a slight investment needed but other than that it was good. We didnt have any treatments as they were fully booked and couldnt fit us in - pre booking definately needed here.

We had breakfast both mornings on the first morning there was an asian gentleman, who seemed to be doing all the work, however was far to eager and rude, and tried to clear our plates before we had even finished and didnt even apologise to us when we said we hadnt finished. There was plenty to choose from on the 2 buffets and my partner had an omelette which she ordered and was most enjoyable. Breakfast the next morning was better, nobody tried to clear our plates whilst still eating, even though the breakfast was alot busier than the previous morning, slight delay on the coffee but nothing major there!

On check out the receptionist was lovely but the asian man was there again and just as rude as the first morning breakfast, as the girl was checking us out he spoke over her and be littled her as she was sorting our bill out, we found this to be very very rude, seemed he wanted to be a one man show rather than letting the staff do their jobs.

All in all was a good stay, just do not go by the pictures on the internet as they are miss leading and can be disappointing, but it was clean and relaxing just hold on to your breakfast plates!!!!

May return in the future if there is a good offer!

Room Tip: Ask for a modern room, ours was dated but talking to others there are more modern ones!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CityKid12
GGouri, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2012

Dear CityKid12,

Thank you for taking the time to express your views with regards to your stay at the hotel. All your comments both positive and constructive have been passed onto to the team concerned and will be acted on as a matter of policy.

Your breakfast comments have been noted and are being actioned.

Reviewed May 5, 2012

Our champagne afternoon tea started with a glass of bubbly - so far, so good. We were asked if we wanted our tea or coffee at the same time! The table had no flowers, but it was at least overlooking the garden. We discussed which blend of tea we would choose, but nobody asked us! A steel two tier cake stand was put on the table comprising: three finger sandwiches of smoked salmon on brown - no cream cheese; three boiled ham on white and, wait for it - three cheese and pickle!! The top tier held a small pot of jam and one of cream, two scones and two slices of chocolate cake with a blob of cream on the side - were were the egg, the cucumber, the chicken, the salad sandwiches? Where were the meringues, strawberry tarts and other little delightful bitefuls? Two white heavy dinner plates were then put in front of us. Why were we not satisfied with all this? Because it came at a cost of nearly FIFTY POUNDS!!!! This 'event' was a birthday gift from friends and quite frankly, not worth a tenner. The manager, to his credit, gave us a refund without a comment (or an apology, actually). By the way, the tea never arrived. Don't waste your time visiting this place.

2  Thank Beautifulworld1

Dear Beautifulworld1,

Thank you for your comments regarding your afternoon tea.

May I please politely refer you to a conversation I had with your wife when I apologised for the afternoon tea whilst making the refund alongwith with two complimentary glasses of champagne.

Reviewed May 4, 2012 via mobile

Was very in happy with the service I recieved during a sit down meal for my grandfathers 80th, sent them an email to inform them of this and they haven't bothered to even reply.
Service was very slow, didn't have the right meals for the guests, and my beef was served to me raw!!!!!! This is not even an understatement!!!! It made me ill even only after one bite! I complained there and then, and the waitress had told me she would get the manager, half hour went by I asked again, another half hour went by and there was still no sign of the manager so gave up!! Very poor hotel, wouldn't recommend it to anyone, the service I recieved and still recieving is dispicable. Don't even deserve to be a 3 star !

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Tina_Rick11
GGouri, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

Dear Tina_Rick1,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your meal. The lady who did the pre order confirmed to us that some of your guests forgot their meals and were just looking at what some of their friends had ordered and going for the same. The beef is generally cooked as a joint, medium but of course if you would like it very well done the waiting staff would have been only too happy to oblige.
The manager did speak to the lady who took the pre order on your behalf on the day. I would like to take this oppurtunity to inform you that we are not in receipt of your email, if we did receive it then it would have been replied to immediately. May I apologise to you that on this occasiopn the hotel did not meet with your expectation.

G Gourishankar

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa
Doubletree by Hilton Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
#10 of 45 in Chester
Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester

Been to Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!