“Good venue with excellent food”

Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Good venue with excellent food”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The hotel has an attractive setting, but is in need of a spruce up. There is a good spa attached which is free to guests. The best part of the stay was the food. There is a varied menu which has some interesting items on offer. They are not big portions though. Staff were attentive and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Louis M, General Manager at Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Fencerjohn;

Thank you so much for your review.
Andrew our new head chef has been working really hard on the new menu and I am delighted to see that you enjoyed it.
I am very much looking forward welcoming you back very soon.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Chester, England
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Expected a luxury spa break, and very disappointed with the overall experience. Some of the Spa staff were obviously trying very hard, but even their efforts could not hide the deficiencies of this Hotel & Spa.

Booked through spabreaks.com. Apparently we should have been advised that although a robe is provided, slippers/flipflops are not (due to an accident at the hotel some years ago ?) so unfortunately this meant we were barefoot, not ideal in areas of high traffic (from outdoors) - see comment below on proposed refurb.

Treatment rooms were freezing, and although the spa staff brought in extra towels, and for the 2nd treatment we swopped rooms, unfortunately no improvement. Our toes were white !

Lunch was hideous.It is taken in reception where everyone comes through to use the Spa. We ordered ceasar salad & grilled goats cheese salad. The ceaser salad did not come with cos lettuce, but normal leaves drenched in dressing, with croutons (think stale brown bread briefly fried, maybe roasted, and certainly not crouton shape or size). Goats cheese was not the greatest quality and wasn't grilled. It was sent back, but returned barely grilled and minus the pesto dressing. The inclusive lunch with the spa break was to include a fruit platter - which never came. Apparently it was delivered when we were having our manicure, so we eventually sat down to eat it some 2 hours later. Wish we hadn't bothered as it tasted of goats cheese (suspect fridge problems).

Ordered wine with lunch, which did come and was nice despite the receptionist not understanding what we meant by Sauvignon Blanc.

As previous review mentioned there was a broken hairdryer in the changing rooms, which wouldn't have been a problem if there had been more than 1 other available. No loo paper in the loo in the changing rooms either.

Manicures were good, although problems the following day with one of the manicures where the polish literally had slid off (we think too much moisture had been applied before the polish). Other manicure still wearing well 4 days later.

We found out before we left that the Hotel & Spa are due a refurbishment over the next 6 months, which sort of explains why there has been little investment in carpets (eeugh in bare feet), hairdryers, toilets,general decoration etc.

Some one from the hotel may also like to check their spelling on the EmergAncy door on the way to the changing rooms ...

In summary, the staff were trying very hard (although we did overhear one saying "get your backside over here now" - which wasn't particularly professional). This was on the phone, we assume to another therapist who was late.

Would we risk a visit after the re-furb ? Probably not, as there are plenty of other options in the surrounding area.

Scraped 3 stars for the Spa staff who did try to make a good job of it, despite the lack of support from the kitchen staff, and they did try to get us warm.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Louis M, General Manager at Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear GerradFamily;

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review; feedback is a vital part of our business and is always taken very seriously.
I am disapointed to hear that you did not enjoy your spa experience; Crabwall Manor Spa is well known for its quality and comments are generally very positive.
On behalf of the hotel I would like to apologise if on that occasion we were unable to meet your expectations.
Please be assured that your comments will be investigated and if necessary training will be put in place.
Once again I would like to thank you for your comments.
Looking forward welcoming you back in a very near future.
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

Came here with my Mum for 2 nights. Our deal included breakfast on both mornings and evening meal on the 2nd night.

Rooms are huge and very comfortable, if a little dated. The hotel noted our request for a ground floor room and even delivered our bags once the room was available.

We booked ourselves into the Spa for an afternoon of pampering and it was absolutely lovely. The package came with a light lunch which was very nice. Afterwards we made the most of the pool and steam room etc.

The breakfast was great and the evening meal was gorgeous. We went out on the first night to The Grehound Inn in
Saughull and I can fully recommend it. It's about £5.00 in a taxi.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful, in particular the young lad in the Spa who was lovely. We had a lovely stay and wouldn't hesitate coming back.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear gauntys;

Thank you for your lovely review.
I am pleased that you enjoyed not only the hotel but also enjoyed the spa.
On behalf of the hotel I would like to thank you.
Looking forward welcoming you back very soon.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed in executive room 8 and our elderly relative next door room 9. Both rooms were fabulous. Breakfast and evening meal were also extremely good with very attentive staff at all times. We didn't have any hotel information in our rooms.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are fab
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear misty11133;

Thank you for your review.
I am glad you enjoyed your time with us.
Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review.
Very much looking forward welcoming you back very soon.
Liverpool
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I spent a fantastic afternoon and night at Crabwall Manor - our executive room was very spacious and comfortable. We enjoyed using the excellent, well-equipped leisure facilities (we used the gym and pool) and I had a luxury facial which was very relaxing. I then had a bath in the huge bathtub (substantially bigger than many hotel baths which are disappointing) before we enjoyed a superb 3 course meal in the restaurant.

We liked the comfy, homely atmosphere and the bar area which was very pleasant to enjoy a drink in before and after dinner. This hotel has great character unlike so many of the modern hotels.

We will definitely return for a special occasion.

Our only very small complaint was that it was too hot at times, especially during dinner and breakfast, so maybe the heat needs to be turned down a bit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear knowsagoodthing;

First of all I would like to thank you for your kind words. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and its spa.
On behalf of the hotel and its staff I would like to thank you.
Very much looking forward welcoming you back very soon.
Kidn regards
Leicester
Reviewed October 18, 2012

What a beautiful place to stay and a great atmosphere. we stayed on a 2 night offer break and couldnt fault it. We were given a fantastic room on our arrival with 2 balconies and a four poster but as we prefer twin beds we asked to be moved, we were then given the choice of 2 rooms and chose the one with the larger bathroom.The rooms were very clean, well equipped and although a little tired as we had moved to the side that hadnt yet been refurbished they werent tatty at all, the bath was the largest I have ever been in and the beds were so comfortable we only just got down to breakfast in time. The breakfast was excellent with everything fresh and hot and our evening meal was delicious with a good choice and beautifuly presented.We didnt use the pool as it was quite busy when we went to look but intend to when when we next visit which we certainly will in the new year.I could imagine spending Xmas at Crabwell as the lounge is so cosy and the atmosphere is so relaxed.

Room Tip: Some rooms have separate shower which means a larger bathroom
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear LeicesterJeanie;

First of all I would like to thank you for your kind words. It is always a pleasure to see that our guests enjoyed their stay.
I am glad you enjoyed the hotel and on behalf of its staff I would like to thank you for your comments.
Looking forward welcoming you back very soon.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I took my mother to the Crabwall Manor for a special spa day, the treatment we had was great, so we decided to order some food, the hotel was very short staffed, a young lady trained for treatments had been forced on the till and tried her best but didn't know what she was doing, we asked her how much the salad costs as no prices on the list just stated i think £5.99 for chicken, she told us she would find out, next the salads arrived with 1 fillet of chicken cut in to 6 slices (3 slices) on each salad!!!!!(hav photos as proof) I told my mum the £5.99 must be the salad and the chicken but on ending our day the salad was around £13 each....!!!! disgusted with not being told up front and came away feeling ripped off. I did explain this to the receptionist and asked for our comments to be taken forward and to be called regarding my complaint. To this date I haven't had a response and I cannot find an email address or complaints department on-line to take this further. Other than this the day was nice, the spa was a break from the hectic daily working life.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Cheryl2708
Dear Cheryl2708;

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
I would like to thank you for pointing out to me the issues you had during your stay.
I have since then spoken to the Spa Manager and my Head chef. Please be assured that your comments will be invistigated and that training will be in place as soon as possible so as to resolve any issue you encountered during your stay.
kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester
Carden Park Hotel
Carden Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxton

Been to Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!