“Excellent property but away from the action”

Hilton Paris La Defense
Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in La Defense
The World
“Excellent property but away from the action”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is a great hotel to stay to work in Paris. The bathroom has a bathtub with an amazing buble system (not hydro) and a lighning system that relaxes you to the max. Service is impecable food very good. Nevertheless this hotel is far from the movement of Paris and you will have to take a cab or metro to get to Museums, Tower and main attractions. Shopping is not a problem since the Hotel is inside of a shooping mall (Cnit). If you are coming on a vacation this is not a good hotel for you since being a business district after 1800 hrs is a ghost town and is far.

Room Tip: Take a relaxation suite with the bubble system in the bath. You'll be amazed.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HotelManager92, General Manager at Hilton Paris La Defense, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Fernando-Del-Busto,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and comments following your recent visit to our hotel. All of our guests’ feedback is extremely important to us and we appreciate your participation.

gerald.vanreck@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New York, New York
Reviewed October 7, 2013

The Hilton La Defense is about a 15 minute/30 Euro taxi ride from the Paris city center or, if you can navigate the metro here, a few stops away (the metro is adjacent to the hotel property in the mall).

The area where this hotel is located appears to be very business-oriented though there is a large mall to which the hotel is attached and a few restaurants outside. At night - quite a few people hang out around the metro entrances/exits and those areas are strewn with litter so keep that in mind if you're contemplating this area, especially if you're looking to return late. I was told that crime is a bit higher here than in other parts of the Paris metro area though I did not see or encounter anything myself.

Check in was very quick and efficient. The staff was friendly and helped me with an issue I had with the taxi. The taxi could not get a signal from his credit card reader and so I couldn't use my card to pay for the ride from the airport. The hotel eased the situation by providing me with the necessary Euros and charged the amount to my room - a great assistance since it was very early and I hadn't had a chance to get that much in cash just yet.

I was upgraded to a work suite - a long desk ran behind the bed. While nice in concept I don't know how many people really work in their rooms for long period of times and wonder if the space would be better used for living space instead. A king-sized bed covered in crisp white linens was quite comfortable. An averaged-sized flat screen was placed in the corner and a few English language channels were offered. Power outlets were a bit difficult to find - I use my phone as my alarm clock, and am used to finding outlets next to the bed in the wall or in the lamps. I had to string my power cord from the desk area and leave my phone hanging over my shoulder. A side chair completed the smallish bed area.

The room itself appeared to be decorated fairly recently as did the bathroom though they stopped with the tile. White tile, cracked in many places, took away from the vessel sink and large mirrors. Worse yet, there was mildew in the shower area. Bummer, this was a nice room otherwise. Oh, apart from the view, or lack of it really. The hotel rooms facing the large, expansive "courtyard" that makes up the La Defense commercial area, is covered with a screen that contains an advertisement of some sort. So your window looks at the rear of this ad screen, which obscures natural light and any view really. The AC was working well, a thankful option since I was visiting during a heat wave in Paris where every other place or facility was struggling with the heat.

HHonors members don't have a lounge to use and breakfast (complimentary for certain HHonors members) is at the restaurant. The buffet breakfast is very well stocked and an excellent substitute for the lounge.

Overall, apart from the mildew in the bathroom, I was happy with this hotel. It is a nice option if you want a less-expensive (and larger) alternative to rooms in the heart of Paris. You will have to commute a bit to get there but you may very well find that it is worth the savings.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank BlueSpinnaker
Dear BlueSpinnaker

I want to sincerely thank you for your feedback following your stay with us in August.

I am pleased to observe your satisfaction with our team and service. However, I have also well noted your comment regarding the condition of your bathroom and would like to sincerely apologise for that. Rest assured that this has already been discussed with our Chief Engineer in order for him to take appropriate actions.

BlueSpinnaker, I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back for a future stay in Paris.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We knew this hotel was in the La Defense business district and not convinient to the sights of Paris, but chose it because we had Hilton points to use up. It is typical Hilton business-style hotel. On the plus side it was clean (except for some mold in the shower and the otherwise yellowing bathroom grout), quiet (unless the bar filled up with meeting attenders), and with good service (unless the desk personal turn out to be clueless, and at least one was). The AC was adequate for American tastes. The hotel is part of an indoor mall, which sits on top of a Metro/RER Station. Also on the plus side, the express RER A train is less than a 15 minute ride to the Chatelet/Les Halles station near the Latin Quarter, Notre Dame, Louvre, etc. The hotel needs a bit of a facelift. Our bed squeaked whenever we moved, although the matress was comfortable. The toilet paper bar was broken and the furniture had multiple nicks and worn areas. I already mentioned the bathroom mold. Seriously? The restaurant/bar staff worked very hard to please, but the food was mediocre at best. The mall had mostly fast food. The biggest downside is that when the mall is closed (between 9 PM and 7 AM), you need to go outside for an extra ten minute walk to the Metro/RER. Ten minutes might not sound like much, but the route is so poorly marked that unless you successfully manuever once, you are likely to wander around in trial and error for 30 or more minutes. Bottom line: this hotel is OK, but there are better choices, especially for location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bloodman33
HotelManager92, General Manager at Hilton Paris La Defense, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Bloodman33,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent visit to our hotel. All guest feedback is extremely important to us and we appreciate your participation.

I have well noted your feedback regarding your bathroom condition and would like to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused. Rest assured that our Housekeeping team will be more attentive on this matter in order to avoid a similar situation.

Despite your overall disappointment, I hope to welcome you again in our hotel.

Sherman Oaks, CA
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed at this Hilton in La Defense area outside the main part of Paris. We booked a standard room which was just under $500.00 a night. This is a business district. If you are going to Paris for a vacation or leisure, this is not the location to stay. Our room overlooked the atrium of the hotel. The room was very nice and quite large by American and European standards. The bathroom was also a nice size. The room needed an extra chair and table which it could more than easily accommodate. But the biggest problem with the room was the lack of adequate lighting. It was very dim by any standard even with all the lights on. Another problem was because this is in a business district many of the restaurants, including restaurants at the hotel, closed after lunch. The CNIT center in which the hotel is located is closed at night. It was dead.
You can walk across the plaza and go into the huge shopping mall which we did. And it is a great mall.
The Grande Arch and thumb sculpture are both pretty ugly. The Parisians are lucky they didn't put them closer into the heart of Paris. The nicest thing about the Grande Arch was the straight line of sight to the Arc de Triompe. You also get a straight line of sight of the Grande Arch from the Arc de Triompe. If you really want to see the Grande Arch, take the Metro and look around; don't waste your time or money staying there.
While the room was nice, there was nothing special about it. It needed another chair, a table and much better lighting.
I cannot recommend this Hilton because of the location and price. It was simply not worth it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ellen M,

I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

Your observations and opinions are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor if we are meeting guests needs and expectations.

Thank you for your truly valuable comments.

United States
Reviewed October 6, 2013

HVAC did not work properly, had to change the room twice in one night. The third room HVAC worked, but there was not hot water in the morning and had take shower with cold water. Location is excellent in Ladefence business district, close to shopping mall

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Mehdi T,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor’s website. I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your recent stay at the hotel and would like to apologise for the various issues you faced.

To my regret, I confirm that we encountered an unexpected issue with the hotel hot water network. As soon as we were informed, we immediately contacted the CNIT maintenance team that looks after our water network in order to take immediate actions. I remain however in close contact with the CNIT Director to ensure this situation does not re-occur.

With regard to the air conditioning, your comments will of course be forwarded to the relevant management for their attention.

Mehdi T, I do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, we will have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed 3 nights and had 2 relaxation rooms booked, one for my husband and I and the other for my daughter and her partner as we were celebrating my daughter's birthday with a week end in Paris. We were on the second floor overlooking the plaza across to the 4Temps shopping mall. The rooms were pleasant, very clean, comfortable beds, bath with jacuzzi and separate shower. Decor was tasteful and the rooms appeared to be recently refurbished. They were not overly spacious but were by far not the smallest rooms we ever had in a hotel either. There was a safe, a minibar and coffee making facilities.It was also very quiet, we were never disturbed by noise of any sort. Many other reviewers have commented on how it is difficult to find the entrance. If you find the thumb sculpture, the entrance is to the right and fairly obvious then. There is also a way through the CNIT building. We didn't find the location to be a problem (about a 10-15 metro or RER ride to the city tourist sites). It was easy enough to buy a 3 day metro pass and use that to travel. The tourist attractions are fairly spread out in Paris so you would end up travelling between them no matter where you stayed. Breakfast was good but pricey (26 euros) if not included with your room. The bar does some wonderful cocktails. Best of all though was the staff serving at reception. They were, with no exceptions, very charming, incredibly welcoming and nothing was too much trouble for them if asked for help, eg. restaurant reservations, directions to places and so forth. All in all this is one of the better Hiltons I have experienced and we would happily stay here again when visiting Paris.

Room Tip: The relaxation rooms are pleasant.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rainbow19
Dear Rainbow19,

I would like to thank you for your kind comments following your stay in our hotel.
I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and found the staff, especially from the Reception, very helpful.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our hotel very soon.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This is a well hidden hotel next to the Grand Arche and within the CNIT Convention center and shopping mall. A metro is located within the mall. Check in was fast and friendly. The front desk spent a lot of time talking to me about the area and explained the best way to get around and explore the area. When I got to my room I was surprised to find a bottle wine on ice and decretive treats. My room looked newly remodeled and was spotless. This hotel was unique to me because my view was not of the Arche but of inside the mall. The hotel had a great full breakfast with everything you would want. The bar in the lobby was very nice. The gym was rather large for a Hilton and impressive. The only vice I had was the distance from the city center, but, the metro was convenient. There simply wasn't a Hilton located any closer to the city center. As nice as the hotel was, it was too expensive. I would be happy to stay here again, if the price is right.

Room Tip: I had a view of the mall, you may want to try and get a view of the Grand Arche. I was very happy wi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sharkswave
Dear Sharkswave,

I would like to thank you for your nice comments following your recent stay with us.
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our service which met your expectations.

Thank you again for having chosen our property for your stay in Paris. All of the team and I look forward to welcoming you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Defense
Renaissance Paris La Defense Hotel
Novotel Paris La Defense
Novotel Paris La Defense
#6 of 41 in La Defense

Been to Hilton Paris La Defense? Share your experiences!