“IT WAS VERY DISAPOINTED WITH THE STAFF”

Hilton Paris La Defense
Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in La Defense
Vitoria, ES
“IT WAS VERY DISAPOINTED WITH THE STAFF”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I had a great expectation to arrive at the hotel. I choose a great room I prior to arrive I received a confirmation from Hilton that I would stay at the Presidential suite, so… I had everything to have a great time there.
The first problem was in my check in, there were no rooms available and I had to wait hours until they give a room, then they had no Executive Lounge and one of the reason I choose the hotel was because of it. The Hilton website says it has, but actually I hadn’t.
My presidential suite was busy and the manager told me it was a mistake and I could stay there, so according to him, he would place me in another great suite, but…
The breakfast is great, the crew at the restaurant is friendly.
The hotel is at the CNIT Mall, where is also a subway station and really very close to the Arc du Triumph. In front of the hotel the one of the biggest mall in France and the area is a very modern part of Paris, with many high building and great choices of restaurants.

Room Tip: ask for a front room.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ElcioBR
StephaneMercier, General Manager at Hilton Paris La Defense, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Dear ElcioBR,

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us. I have well taken note of your observation regarding our non offer of Executive lounge. I would be grateful if you could contact me and advise us about the way you were confirmed our hotel offers this service. As such, I would be able to amend this mistake.

I would like to reiterate our thanks for your overall feedback and inform you that appropriate actions are already taken in order to ensure this situation does not re-occur in the future.

Dear ElcioBR, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely,

Stephane.mercier@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Borehamwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Finding this hotel coming out of the metro late at night is difficult and stressful, so a warm welcome from reception would be appreciated - this was lacking. What was also lacking was bar service from a four star hotel. The bar actually closes at midnight on the dot which we found very strange. We did manage one drink but needed a second mortgage.
We were on the third floor and as you leave the lift and walk along the corridor of the third floor, the area has the most unpleasant odour - I would hazard a guess of stale smoke. The corridor walls themselves could do with a lick of paint and right outside our room (323) the edges were badly scuffed and torn.
Room was adequate and the bed extremely comfortable.
Breakfast buffet of a reasonable standard but nothing to write home about - Saturday morning's staff ok but Sunday morning much better.
We had a problem with one of the rooms and when it came to paying the bill, reception sorted very efficiently.
We were so looking forward to this hotel but in all honestly it did not quite deliver.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dear Markstradling,

I would like to thank you for your comments following your stay in our hotel. I have noted with regret your various remarks. Rest assured that these will be taken into account in order to improve our service. As an example, I am pleased to inform you that our Housekeeping department has recently delt with cigarette odour of the third floor corridor.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed September 9, 2011

Just an average hotel. Stains on the carpets, cracked tiles in the bathroom, cigarette smell in the room and you get the picture. Rooms and corridors are not well ventilated. Everything else is just average. The people at the reception do make a decent effort and i am sure it's not their fault this hotel is in this condition.
If you are planning to drive there and have not been to this hotel before DO call in advance and get exact directions on how to park your car. Parking is 26/day, Internet is 18/Day, and there is a 50 Euro/Day refundable deposit for "extras".

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear Charlie2825,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent visit to our hotel. All our Guests’ feedback is extremely important to us and we appreciate your contribution.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Firstly, good gym! Lots of machines and equipment. A real surprise.

We had a suite which was nice but starting to date a little. Carpets/upholstery could do with updating. Breakfast was a decent Hilton offering, though the staff there seemed stressed. Our minibar had not been replenished and still had some food left over from the previous occupant. Hmm. When I asked them to sort this out it took them 2 days. Also, even with the Do Not Disturb on the door I had to deal with a cleaner who said (in French) that if we didn't take the cleaning now then we'd have to go without (this was about 2pm). Overall the cleaning staff/service let this hotel down.

As others have pointed out, it's a little more difficult to get back to the hotel late at night than it is to get to the station on your way out. The hotel don't mention this at all and when we came back on the RER we had to go out into the square in the rain to try to find the main entrance. I really think they should make this clear to guests. Also, watch out for the dodgy guys hanging around the station exit near the Grand Arch - Assumed one was going to mug us, sell us drugs or prostitute himself. Either way we gave him a wide berth.

Considering how much cheaper it is compared to central Paris hotels, it's still worth it in my opinion. The Metro and RER don't take long to get into Paris and I'm not giving Hilton at Arc de Triomphe £500 a night! It's hardly well-situated itself....

Oh, and there's no lounge at this hotel, which is disappointing.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
StephaneMercier, General Manager at Hilton Paris La Defense, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
Dear Twogaijins,

First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your recent stay in our Hotel.

This is with great concern that I have noted your comments. Following these and in order to take appropriate corrective actions with our team, I would be grateful if you could contact us directly so we can investigate further.

I look forward to hearing from you soon and in the meantime, remain at your disposal for any of your requirements

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Check in took very long in a very old lobby. The rate per night was quiet high, but hey, we're in Paris. When arriving in room, we got a bit of a shock. Is this Hilton?? Not even close to the Hilton we frequently stay. Only shortly before that I stayed at Hilton Slussen in Stockholm and THAT'S worth the name Hilton. Bed was poor and breakfast was poor, very French really.
If you want to sleep in this quartier of Paris, skip this hotel and look for something cheaper. It will probably offer you the same quality at half the rate.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
StephaneMercier, General Manager at Hilton Paris La Defense, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
Dear thesheikhfromdubai,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. I have noted with regret that this has not been to your expectations, for which I sincerely apologise. I would be grateful if you could contact me at your convenience so that I can investigate further the reasons of your disappointment on this occasion. This information will also assist us in strengthening the service we provide to our guests.

Paris, France
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I should have read other comments more carefully before booking here...
Location/ Architecture:
The La Defense area has many interesting contemporary buildings (it's a business area with 2 shopping malls), the Hilton is build as a house-in a house of the CNIT - brilliant architecture from the 1950s (definitely something to visit if you like modern and futuristic buildings). One shopping mall is open year-round, even on Sunday, and contains several cinemas and (chain) restaurants and a Starbucks coffeeshop so you'll not end up hungry after a long day in the office or the city. Metro/ RER / bus stations are nearby and connections to Paris are very fast, even at night.
The hotel:
I opted for a "Relaxation room" which was a good decision regarding room decor (bed is facing the window and not the working desk, the room has a flat-screen TV with DVD player) and bathroom facilities (you'll find a Jacuzzi tube and a bathroom TV). I found the hotel not very well maintained: the bed frame was broken, the air condition first didn't work and after it has been "repaired" the control unit didn't work so the (very noisy!!!) fan did run without the chance for me to find any sleep or rest. I expect from a 4-Stars-hotel that the rooms are in a perfect condition, clean and working. This was not the case here. Unfortunately, to get things technically fixed seems not to work there very well (it took 2 days until the bed frame has been fixed but the airconditioning was still not working) - I tried 4 days to explain and explain to the hotel staff (and finally left this place and moved to another hotel, being sick of all the lame excuses heard from reception staff and even from one manager of that place). The staff for some reason seems not to communicate properly (not with guests - be aware that if you need to complain about something the tone of communication from the reception staff could change in an unexpected way...- and not with each other in order to hand over open tasks). I was told many times that everything was fixed and checked, but this unfortunately was just a hope. Another strange situation: I had to go back to my room during daytime and found a maid watching TV in my room during her cleaning activities. I was a little surprised but she didn't bother to switch it off or turn down the volume or even excuse. It was obvious that I have disturbed her... The same evening some cans of beverages have been "disappeared" from the minibar (and I informed the hotel immediately and I finally had not to pay for it). Cleanliness could be improved in the restaurant area (only had breakfast there) - you'll be seated for sure next to a table or place with dirty dishes as they seem to have an issue with organizing serving coffee and cleaning tables... The chairs (!) in the restaurant were a little "sticky" on their sides showing some "traces" from previous meals and could have done with a damp cloth. The food quality was okay, but not as good as in other Hilton hotels.
Parking:
If you come by car, look for the CNIT parking. The hotel can be accessed from floor -4 of the parking. Be aware that some parking lots are named for "Hilton" but that's all (no video surveillance, surprisingly). You have to pay for the parking at the parking itself and not over the hotel bill. Be aware that the parking's vending machines on both floors were not working in August when I was there - do not pay with cash as it might get lost (one night is charged with 26 Euros) and the only option to pay is directly at the exit barrier (put your parking ticket in, than the credit card). If you come after 23:00 the parking is closed and a button to ring to get the door open didn't work... (or simply no one was available to open the door or didn't bother to help).
I'd not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank reiseschreibmaschine
Dear reiseschreibmaschine,

I would like to thank you again for your comments throughout your stay with us and for your participation on Trip Advisor. It seems we did not exceed your expectations, for which I reiterate my most sincere apologies. We trust however, that actions taken following your departure have shown our deep regrets and that these did satisfy you.

Half Moon Bay, California
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel many times and generally like it. It is a well maintained hotel, modern, with well appointed rooms, and it has one thing that most European hotels do not have, an iron and ironing board. The color scheme and appointments in the room are modern and pleasing.

On this last trip I stayed in room 206, and I was a little disappointed. The room was somehow smaller and the bed was so close to the desk that I could not sit straight and comfortably. In the past, I have stayed in the "relaxation rooms," and they are much bigger and nicer with a recliner type chair.

The hotel is also close to the metro and train station in La Defense. If you want to stay in the La Defense area for business or other reasons, this hotel is a good choice.

Room Tip: Try for a Relaxation Room and avoid 206 due to size and desk placement.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
StephaneMercier, General Manager at Hilton Paris La Defense, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Dear MadridClydo,

I would like to thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear you do appreciate our hotel facility and service we provide.

If you would be so kind as to contact my office directly when making your arrangements for your next visit to Paris, I would be delighted to assist with the reservation.

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Defense
Renaissance Paris La Defense Hotel
Novotel Paris La Defense
Novotel Paris La Defense
#6 of 41 in La Defense

Been to Hilton Paris La Defense? Share your experiences!