“Sofitel Paris”

Sofitel Paris La Defense
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in La Defense
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Walking distance from Esplanade Metro is 8 min. For those who are carrying big luggage and are thinking of taking metro as a transport to reach this hotel.There is no lift at the metro station to bring you to Level 1 Platform. You have to climb up the metro stairs and drag your luggage before reaching the hotel. More advisable to take a taxi. This hotel is situated in a business district. I stayed 2 nights during the weekend and the hotel surroundings at night is super quiet. I stayed in a twin bed room and I must say I really enjoyed staying in Sofitel. 2 bottles of water are complimentary given. The bed is so comfortable and the room ambience is nice, & there is jazz music played in the room. The toiletries are from Hermes. Good Housekeeping is provided daily. Kudos to the team in Sofitel Paris La Defense. Staying in this hotel for 2 Nights did leave me with a beautiful memory in Paris.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank HoyuE
SOFITELDEFENSE, Directeur général at Sofitel Paris La Defense, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Dear Hoyu,

Thank you so much for choosing the Sofitel Paris la Défense for your last Parisian visit and for writing such a positive review following your stay with us.

We are delighted that you had a great experience and that you enjoyed our property, the different amenities we offer and our location.

I also would like to inform you that there is mecanic stairs for going to level 1 from Metro station.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon; It will definitely be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

This was an amazing hotel. The tube was very close, basically a walk out the door and down the steps. The rooms weren't large but they were definitely beautiful. Room service was good. Toiletries were awesome, Hermes. Would definitely stay here again if Paris. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
SOFITELDEFENSE, Directeur général at Sofitel Paris La Defense, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Dear LoisLevar,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review!

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel Paris la Défense. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback like yours.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Came here for my 30th birthday. I'm happy to say i found the car entrance on my first attempt! But as noted, that's not easy. There's a few tunnels to get through to find the parking garage and the GPS loses reception, just keep an eye out for the Sofitel signs.
Valet parking was fine (as it should be for that price).
The hotel itself is nice. a nice decor in the lobby and the staff at the counter were friendly. They had mistakenly put me in a smoking room, but about 10-15 minutes later my room was ready.
Nice room, clean, comfortable with a good bathroom. Took public transport into the city, which was a lot easier than the hassle of driving in central Paris and trying to find parking there.

One minor con was the fact that when we were looking for a restaurant late in the evening, the lady downstairs (at the desk near the entrance, not the main desk) said that everything was closed, but for the restaurant in the hotel. We walked out and found a shopping centre with ample food possibilities, even late in the evening.

All in all though: a positive experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you let them know whether you want a smoking or non-smoking room!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthieu G, Directeur général at Sofitel Paris La Defense, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Bonjour !

Thank you for your very comprehensive review! It makes me very happy to hear you enjoyed so many of our facilities. This type of customer feedback is what motivates us to keep on providing the absolute best service that we can!

You're always welcome at the Sofitel Paris la Défense.

Hope to have you again soon!

Reviewed May 31, 2014

20-30 mins by metro to the centre is ok, and for the price difference arguably worthwhile.
But is this really 5 stars? Lobby entrance has the classy touches, but you can't help but notice it is somewhat small and dark. Suite was comfortable and clean, with more sunlight coming through what there is of windows. Service professional and friendly enough. The hotel mostly hits expectations, with one massive exception: the room service breakfast was poor. In particular, the scrambled eggs were literally a curdled goo, as if it had been sitting in the buffet for 3 hours, reheated, and then put in the microwave. I have an open mind when it comes to food, and I know this is Paris and the croissants will be more reliable, but this was truly astonishing. Five stars? No big harm done, but weird.

PS. Sofitel - sorry I didn't complete the satisfaction survey, perhaps you could make it shorter or allow participants to submit part way through.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank IEv473
SOFITELDEFENSE, Responsable relations clients at Sofitel Paris La Defense, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Dear IEv473,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Paris La Défense. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Robin DEROP
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Sofitel - beds were very comfortable and included "down pillows" - too itchy for me - but my roommate enjoyed them.

The hotel is nice but too far from the main events in Paris (@15 minutes - but a very expensive cab ride back & forth. There is a nearby train ... but not always convenient.

Hotel restaurant was ridiculously expensive so we decided not to eat there!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Getpacked77
SOFITELDEFENSE, Responsable relations clients at Sofitel Paris La Defense, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Dear Getpacked77,

Thank you so much for choosing the Sofitel Paris la Défense for your last Parisian visit and for writing a positive review following your stay with us.

We are delighted that you had a great experience and that you enjoyed our property.

About your remark for the restaurant, please note that we propose to our guests some dish from 19€, to match with all expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon; It will definitely be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality for which we are known throughout the world.

Reviewed May 23, 2014

Nice hotel but if i am honest over priced for what it is in honesty. I have stayed in far better 5* star hotels at a cheaper rate with better facilities. Whilst the rooms are nice they seem dark and uninviting. I stayed here on business from 19th-22nd May 2014 and my room overlooked another tall building. In the morning I could not open my curtains as the building opposite had cleaners looking at me! (this was room 606)
The rooms were cleaned daily, and the replen of towels and toiletries were very good (however the coffee isn't replaced as quick) but the shower and beds were awesome! All the staff were very friendly and helpful however. As much as it was a nice hotel it lacked an atmosphere - i found it very oppressive.
The metro station is fairly handy however and is about 20 minutes into where the Tower is and the Louvre. The airport is about 1hr 15 minutes by train .

Room Tip: ask for one that doesnt have cleaners looking at you from an opposite building
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Ian T
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Having been a regular here for work, I have been consistently disappointed with the level of service.

Pros:
The rooms are clean, luxurious and worth the money. It is very close to La Defense Esplanade Metro Station. Very good for working in La Defense. The 'Luxury Room' even has a nespresso coffee machine and they provide you with a good selection of capsules.

Cons:
Tonight I asked for a new breakfast menu, as after using my supplied one yesterday it had not been replenished. I called room service to ask if I could pre-order breakfast for tomorrow, or get a new menu. Their haughty response was that of course I couldn't, and I must call reception. Rather than transferring me, they ended the call. I called reception, to have it ring out 5 times. Finally when someone answered, they kindly agreed to bring me a menu. The man who delivered it was a room service man anyway... The lack of initiative or willingness to help is largely non-existent.

Similarly, eating in the restuarant, the waiters can be impossibly slow at taking orders even when there are only three tables in the restuarant. The food is overpriced with a limited menu, but otherwise good.

Summary:
The well-located hotel is let down by a poor attitude to service in the food and beverage staff. My experiences have been good with the reception and housekeeping, who are wonderfully helpful. Perhaps a change in approach of the food service would be beneficial.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank tandant