“The Med in Suburbia”
Review of Murinci - CLOSED

Murinci
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Croydon, United Kingdom
“The Med in Suburbia”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

A busy Saturday night in buzzing Petts Wood and 6 of us had a great meal at Murinci. Very warm welcome on arriving even though only two of the party were repeat punters. Menus delivered and orders for drinks taken and then the bread, balsamic and oil came up - very tasty and, needless to say, didn't last take long to devour. Service was attentive and professional, as it should be, even tho' the place was full. The food was enjoyed by all at the table with one of us unable to go to 3 courses. (You may not need to order additional vegetables, ask what is included with the main course dish) The wine list favours Italy (not unexpected) but has a good representation of the rest of the world. Bottle prices are reasonable and would make it more likely for us to make a detour to this neck of the woods.

• Visited May 2013

Orpington, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely Sunday Lunch!”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I have read the mixed reviews on this site so wanted to share my thoughts. My husband and I visited Murinci for the first time last Sunday and thouroughly enjoyed the whole experience. I loved the style and decor and the food was extremely good.....tasty and well presented. The lunch menues are very good value although the a la carte appears to be a little over priced. The service was excellent and very attentive and we will certainly be returning.

1 Thank Kathy G
Kent
“Pleasant but nothing special”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We spent a perfectly pleasant evening here with friends. The food was good but I couldn't say that anything about the evening set this restaurant apart from others. The décor is pretty - and different enough from the old Trencherman's restaurant that used to be on this site to make it feel you were in a different place. My pork dish was beautifully cooked, really tasty. My dessert let down the food - the panacotta was very heavy. Service was very attentive - a little too much so to start with. Several different members of the serving team offered to take our order within a very small time span. Perhaps a table could have one member of staff responsible for it????Once I asked them to back off slightly they couldn't have been better.

I would be quite happy to eat here again if friends chose it but I wouldn't pick this restaurant myself over others in the area.

• Visited March 2013
London
“Well worth a visit.....”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This newly opened restaurant has had to be slightly different as there are many local places to eat in Petts Wood/Orpington. Its 50 yars from the station and has been decorated to a very high but modern standard and when entering it certainly does make you look around. The tables are well spaced and if you book early enough ask for a table near a window as opposed to inside where it is slightly darker but also more private. The welcome we had was just as you would expect, the lunchtime menu for £15 was very good value and the wine list catered for every palate and pocket. House wine from £15 and the list covered every main continent with prices up to about £50. The food was good, well presented and the experience was enjoyable.
I'm going back so i could certainly recommend it.

London
“Disappointing”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

With the amount of competition in the Petts Wood area, any new Mediterranean restaurant needs to offer fresh and tasty food. Unfortunately we were disappointed. After a good start (scallops with minted pea puree and pancetta - somewhat bland puree but the rest was well cooked), the main courses really fell below par: Crispy suckling pig, you would assume, would offer a layer of to-die-for crackling on top of succulent moist pork. Unfortunately there was no crackling at all, but instead a thin layer of inedible pork skin. The pork flesh itself was moist enough, but only the level of a good Sunday-roast, not the £15.50 charged.

The other main course, duck breast, was served cooked-through rather than any pinkness which spoilt a decent cut of meat. At least the duck was priced lower at around £13. To accompany the mains we ordered sauted potatoes. These were a colour I've never seen before in a restaurant - a dirty brown and smelling of old tatties. A bite soon confirmed they had been cooked previously then recooked. We swapped them for a bowl of triple cooked chips. These were in fact potato wedgies, but once more the smell and taste of recooking meant they were unpleasant to eat.

Dessert was a Trio of Chocolate. A slightly strange ice cream of white chocolate and lime - worth a try but not my particular taste. This was accompanied by a square of rather dry chocolate sponge and a truffle - rather curious as it is the type that other restaurants would serve as a Petit Four with coffee. How we were meant to eat it with a fork and spoon defeated us. ;)

All in all a meal a 3 course meal for 2 with wine came to £94 including a bottle of wine and service. Talking of service it was very pleasant, and that was the best aspect of the dinner. But with so much good competition locally I'm very sorry but I can't see any reason to return.

Lasting thought: Please do not try to cut corners and serve recooked food. You may save a few pounds in wastage but you'll also lose repeat customers as in this case.

3 Thank Jim979