“Without Fault”
Review of Chapter One

Chapter One
Reserve with OpenTable
Chapter One is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 168 Restaurants in Orpington
Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Behind the charming Tudor exterior is a bright, modern restaurant with top notch modern European cuisine. Chapter One has gained enthusiastic reviews from many major restaurant critics and happy plaudits from satisfied diners. Not to mention that it won AA restaurant of the year 2004 and comes along with four AA rosettes. The dining room is relaxed, spacious and comfortable, and the cooking superb. Start with something inventive, like homemade roast gnocchi with braised chestnut, pumpkin and lobster. Then do try the braised oxtail with pancetta bacon and parsnip puree - everyone raves about it. The wine list shows much care and attention too. You will leave feeling well-fed and well cared-for.
Reviewed August 13, 2013

When writing up a review one usually feels behoved to list the good alongside the bad. But I can’t think of anything bad to say about this restaurant. The food was to a very high standard. The service was just right, not in any way overbearing, yet also quick to respond when I indicated I required service. The meal was done just the way the good food should be, which is not over the top, but really good ingredients and several simple bold flavours that work well together. The ambience was perfect for a dinner with the wife. The cost was also reasonable, about double the cost of a standard Saturday meal out at a Zizzis or Ask, but then again this place is a lot more special and its worth going out half as frequently for twice the experience. Would probably still reserve Chapter One for special occasions but looking forward to the next birthday or anniversary to provide the excuse.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,442)

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Had A very pleasant lunch here today (Sunday). The food was good as always and generally great value. Our entire party were unanimous in their praise. All in all I would not hesitate to go again or to recommend it to anyone wishing to enjoy fine dining at a reasonable cost.
Given that we had a thoroughly good time it seems a little churlish to pick up on service problems. I commented on them in my last review and have experienced them on all my visits in recent years. There was a distinct improvement this time I was pleased to note. Briefly one waiter had a distinct whiff of BO not horribly so but certainly noticeable and in an establishment such as this,not acceptable. Finally on several occasions we had to top up our own wine glasses. No great hardship and the norm in many places but not in a Michelin starred fine dining establishment, even at lunchtime.

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Literally just home; been here before and the food is always excellent. However - a fly was in the restaurant and the waiters - some of them - did not understand how to interact. When our starters arrived, it was put in front of us whilst the waiter was talking to another waiter ... Think he should have waited to have that conversation. Felt a bit rushed too. We would go back as the food really was excellent... Just hope they read the reviews and brush up some of the skills!

Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

We decided to visit here after driving past it most days and then seeing a reasonable voucher on living social. Overall the food was fantastic and reasonably priced considering the exceptional quality. The set menu has wonderful choices and even includes a cheese board as a dessert for no additional cost. We will definitely return.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

First went here last Nov for my mum's 85th birthday and was very impressed. Went with friends this time to celebrate our wedding anniversaries. What a superb evening from start to finish. You are made to feel special and nothing is too much trouble. All the staff are very attentive without being over friendly, I would say they have got it "spot on." I had the velouté of spring pea with a poached egg for starter, it was delicious, especially with all the homemade bread. As I said before in my previous review, go easy on the bread or you won't be able to enjoy the yummy chocs and petit fours at the end of the meal! My husband had the warm smoked haddock for starter, he said it was one of the nicest things he had ever eaten. We all enjoyed the food and I would say the desserts were the highlight, so many flavours and beautifully presented. The starters are £9, mains £20 and puds £8 but for a Michelin star restaurant I think that is excellent value for money. Wine starts at £17 and goes to anything you want to pay. If you want a special meal for a special occasion, Chapter One is worth every penny. Our friend's can't wait to return. Thank you to all at Chapter One for a memorable evening.

Thank M.C.Rose