“Very pleasant birthday dinner”
Review of Chapter One

Chapter One
Reserve with OpenTable
Chapter One is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 166 Restaurants in Orpington
Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Behind the charming Tudor exterior is a bright, modern restaurant with top notch modern European cuisine. Chapter One has gained enthusiastic reviews from many major restaurant critics and happy plaudits from satisfied diners. Not to mention that it won AA restaurant of the year 2004 and comes along with four AA rosettes. The dining room is relaxed, spacious and comfortable, and the cooking superb. Start with something inventive, like homemade roast gnocchi with braised chestnut, pumpkin and lobster. Then do try the braised oxtail with pancetta bacon and parsnip puree - everyone raves about it. The wine list shows much care and attention too. You will leave feeling well-fed and well cared-for.
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Came here with my son and his girlfriend to celebrate my birthday. The food and service were superb. Notwithstanding this restaurant is rather "smart" the waiter was still happy to take some photographs and weren't phased when we all wanted tap water (we did have some with alcohol and bubbles later!). The meal, especially the desserts were to die for.
At the beginning of the year I came with a friend and we shared the taster menu, which was glorious, hence my return last month.
My birthday meal was circa £150 for 3 courses for 3 people with wine, which I thought was worth every penny.

Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

This is our favourite restaurant, but tonight this restaurant exceeded all expectations. We usually dine on a Saturday night and we were not aware of the mid week taster menu - what a revelation, the mid week taster menu included wines recommended for each of the six courses which were all superb.
A Michelin starred restaurant of this quality on our doorstep is indeed a privilege and we cannot recommend it enough

Reviewed March 25, 2013

'It really should be better than this', we thought, as we were shown straight to our table at 7.30 pm one sunday evening, leaving us to take off our coats and then wait for the waiter to take them so we could sit down, 'seems like they're a bit shortstaffed'. Slopping the overpriced wine into the glass with little respect for the contents, spilling water on the table cloth with a flourish, things got worse with the arrival of starters - haddock type kedgeree cold and unseasoned, and mackerel pate without any toast or garnish. Thankfully the main course of venison was better although the suckling pig tasted like a pretty ordinary cheap portion of pork belly with soft crackling. Desserts were of the standard that we remembered when we had eaten here on two previous occasions - when the restaurant was seeking its Michelin star rather than resting on its laurels. Decaff irish coffee was really just rubbish. Conclusion - Avoid dining on a sunday evening as the restaurant still charges high prices for mediocre food and service, and hope that the Michelin star is lost soon so that the restaurant spends more attention on raising its standards !

1  Thank FrankOphile_12
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Every time I visit I wonder why I dont come here more often. Food is consistently excellent. On my last visit I had the Raviolo of Oxtail to start followed by the Gloucester Old Spot Pork. Both were excellent. My husband had the Jugged Hare (which is something of a signature dish) followed by the Venison. He declared them delicious. Everything was cooked perfectly. Wine list was very good value. Food is also good value with the lunch menu particularly so. I have seen some comments regarding service but can honestly say we have never had a problem and always find the service excellent, attentive without being instrusive. The only negative thing (and this is really nit picking) is that on our last visit the cutlery was ice cold - however it was a very cold day. Just go there.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Love that we don't have to go to London for a Michelin restaurant. Food always good, although can be over salty at times. Staff always efficient. Have been often and will continue to do so when I don't want to go up to town.