“Worth Every Penny” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chapter One

Chapter One
Reserve with OpenTable
Chapter One is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 155 Restaurants in Orpington
Cuisines: French, European, British, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Behind the charming Tudor exterior is a bright, modern restaurant with top notch modern European cuisine. Chapter One has gained enthusiastic reviews from many major restaurant critics and happy plaudits from satisfied diners. Not to mention that it won AA restaurant of the year 2004 and comes along with four AA rosettes. The dining room is relaxed, spacious and comfortable, and the cooking superb. Start with something inventive, like homemade roast gnocchi with braised chestnut, pumpkin and lobster. Then do try the braised oxtail with pancetta bacon and parsnip puree - everyone raves about it. The wine list shows much care and attention too. You will leave feeling well-fed and well cared-for.
Gillingham, United Kingdom
“Worth Every Penny”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

I googled "best Sunday lunch in Kent" to finish off my girlfriends "significant" birthday week and up this popped. I did the obvious (checked reviews from previous diners) and subsequently booked a 14:30 lunch slot. Despite my journey planning allowing for the snowy conditions we arrived fifteen minutes early. Our jackets were taken and we were shown straight to our table. Whilst I'd love to be a real wine connoisseur (I like wine but I'm not!) the wine list was almost encyclopaedic. Thankfully the menu recommended a good Merlot so we plumped for that. For starters we chose the smoked fish risotto and the beef for main. We both consider ourselves to know our way around a kitchen and both enjoy spending time preparing food at home. Inevitably though whenever we eat out we often feel disappointed thinking we could do better for significantly less. Not here. The risotto was delicious. Just enough to leave you wanting more but not too much that you were not wanting the beef. Ah, the beef. If I lived to be a thousand years old I don't think I'd be able to cook up a main like this. The meat was superb, the red cabbage sublime and the roast potatoes; well they were like thick crisps on the outside and beautifully soft in. We needed more gravy though!
The desserts; my girlfriend went for the apple fondant and I for the crème brûlée. Both were divine.
The service of the staff is unparalleled with any other eaterie I've been to. So efficient without making the experience feel rushed (we were there 1.5 hours)
With coffee and service included our bill came to an unbelievably good value of £92. Worth every penny.

1 Thank Stumpy1974

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Great food and atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Me and the wife had a mid week lunch the portions were ok for this type of restaurant, and the atmosphere was good , we were not rushed and the service was good and helpful we plan to go again but probably only for a special occasion.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
kent
“Christmas Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We had another superb Christmas lunch at Chapter One. We were greeted by the fantastic staff and shown to our table facing out by the window. The table was festively decorated and we had a wonderful lunch. I had the works my wife the vegetarian option. The food was devine washed down with some fizz. Highly reccomended. My wife and I visit frequentley, I hosted my 40th birthday in the private dining room upstairs. A great place if you wish to push the boat out and ideally the bistro for a midweek luch.

London, England, United Kingdom
“The best local dining experience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Chapter one offers the same standards you would expect from Michelin starred restaurants in the capital. It isn't 'cheap', but they have various offers throughout the year to make savings. It is one of my favourite restaurants, and I visit fairly reguarly and always rate the food and service highly.

Orpington, United Kingdom
“A lovely dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

We always feel very well looked after and the food is of a high quality. The cheeseboard is interesting and varied.A great place for a special celebration, the function room upstairs is perfect for a party of up to 40 people, I used it last year and we all had a great time.