“Excellent in every way” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chapter One

Chapter One
Reserve with OpenTable
Chapter One is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 155 Restaurants in Orpington
Cuisines: French, European, British, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Behind the charming Tudor exterior is a bright, modern restaurant with top notch modern European cuisine. Chapter One has gained enthusiastic reviews from many major restaurant critics and happy plaudits from satisfied diners. Not to mention that it won AA restaurant of the year 2004 and comes along with four AA rosettes. The dining room is relaxed, spacious and comfortable, and the cooking superb. Start with something inventive, like homemade roast gnocchi with braised chestnut, pumpkin and lobster. Then do try the braised oxtail with pancetta bacon and parsnip puree - everyone raves about it. The wine list shows much care and attention too. You will leave feeling well-fed and well cared-for.
kent
“Excellent in every way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

We just love this restaurant. The tables are beautifully set, the service is seamless and the food is absolutely first class. This is just the place to celebrate a special occasion but as it is not overpriced it is also an affordable any day experience. If you live nearby or at a distance (it is worth a journey) - do try it - you will not be disappointed.

• Visited November 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Kemsing, United Kingdom
“Not a "Star" in sight !”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Oh how can this normally well run Restaurant get it so wrong ?
We have enjoyed Lunch for 2 and 4 people and Dinner for 2 to 6 people with very good service and very good food. Which I have reported on in other media. However on the occasion I ate there for Dinner in a party of 6 on the 12th December all semblance of a 1st Class restaurant dis-appeared.
No one on reception on arrival started my misgivings. We were offered bread by a waitress who shouted what bread was on offer to the whole table over our conversation and was miffed when a guest asked her to repeat this. Wine was ordered and arrived and she proceeded to serve without asking, while we were still drinking our aperitifs - I stopped her ; a sullen look ensued.
She also overfilled the glass thus allowing the chilled white wine to warm.
As orders were being taken she arrived to me and "poked me" to ask what I wanted as I was in conversation with my guest. She stopped taking orders and started a loud, wholly unconnected converastion with other members of staff above our heads.
Her demeanour was not professional but indifferent and unsmilling - no eye contact.
Starters were delivered to the wrong guests as no "table plan" had obviously been noted against the orders - same with the main course. The main course wine had been ordered but failed to arrive and getting her attention was difficult. The wine arrived after the main course was started and without glasses.
Pudding was served correctly.
The food was average - smaller than normal portions and a request for an extra vegeatble was delivered late.
We ate from the set menu and a la carte.
The staff all around seemed unfamilar and were acting as if they were "brought in" for the night I only recognised a few members of staff plus two managers.
This was unacceptable and I made a mistake in settling the bill as i thought I had not paid a service charge to show our feelings BUT found it was inclusive. I nearly drove back but it was late I could not be bothered.
I know it is the "festive" season but that is absolutely no excuse - we have eaten at several Restaurants locally and in London who get it right all the year.
If this is the service and food being offered now then it is not one star Michelin standard.

Will need to be convinced that changes have been made to go back.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank sbm456
London, United Kingdom
“My favourite local”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

I am lucky to live a few miles from this great restaurant and use it several times a year . The ambience is great, service just about rot, not too stuffy as you would expect form a restaurant with a reputaiton and the value for money is also just about there.
If you are looking for a warm and inviting place in Kent with great food beautifully presented, you could do no better than to try this place.

• Visited November 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Great yet again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

My wife and I visited for the third time on Saturday and once again went away very, very happy. This is probably one of the best value Michelin star restaurants, certainly in the London area if not the whole UK.

The service was as usual fantastic, perfectly judged and on the mark with topping up wine, water etc. The food here is always great, in particular the desserts. My wife and I have visted a number of Michelin star joints and this place consistently does the best desserts, every one we have had here has been beautifully presented and full of flavour, including some unusual but scrummy (the new techincal term I understand!) combinations. A particular mention must also go to the cocktails which were out of this world.

I cannot wait to return!

London
“Very Nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

This was the second year that we came to Chapter One for a pre-Xmas meal. Such a nice meal and excellent service. Highly recommended and great value for money. An extensive wine list to suit all tastes. Already recommended to friends and colleagues!

1 Thank gj74London