“Avoid” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Orpington B&B and Inns
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

A terrible Hotel. Not clean at all & in need of complete renovation. The temperature control didn't work in the shower so I was almost scolded!! Very unhelpful staff & I was told that the bar was not going to be open that day or night which was a Saturday. I certainly would not eat here! No major dramas though & a fairly quiet night but the place is falling apart.Be careful as they make you pay on arrival, otherwise I would have left.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Andy D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Polish first
Brighton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Yes the Mary Rose inn is a budjet hotel. we have stayed in budget hotels before but never in a million years have I seen something so dirty and dangerous. Luckily we were only staying one night! The pub stank of urinals, the ladies toilet was foul and filthy, this also seemed to double up as a smoking area! Local travellers loud abusive and to end the night we were subjected to an all out cat fight and their partners having a punch up. Hotel owners had no idea how to stop the fight and I was reduced to hiding behind the bar! Police were called and sorted it, we are now witnesses and the police took our names numbers etc. and to top it all the travellers were allowed to stay! we went to our room, 2 doors down another punch up was taking place! Our room was the superior double, floor was stained and dirty, sheets were clean bed was a four poster thank god it had a canopy as the ceiling was flaky and stained. four poster posts looked like they had been used to hand cuff people to it and the t.v did not work...all in all do not go there! we had to stay the night but never in a million years would I go again and the breakfast was ok but cutlery, cups and plates were filthy! How this hotel is still going is beyond me and how they scored 1 star is a mystery!

Room Tip: Look for another hotel!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Tracie C

Travelers are raving about these Orpington hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Avoid this hotel at all costs. I wish I'd read the reviews before booking. The rooms are dirty and damp. The staff have no clue whatsoever as to how to run a hotel. The whole place is a health hazard. Restraunt is non existant. Breakfast is a joke, a small side room off the conference room is where breakfast is served, and is virtually inedible. The tablecloths are actually stapled to the tables. We had a standard room but upgraded the second to a premium room. This could be compared to moving from a wayfarers hostel to a doss house. Whoever put a nice review about this hotel has obviously never stayed there. I will never stay here again, not even if I was offered money.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Philnumberone
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Was on a business trip and stayed a few days longer, so decided to stay on the outskirts of London. While I was expecting quaint, we got disgusting and rundown. The towels were the only thing clean. Look at pictures that other users have posted and not the professional ones, as they more accurately show how the place is. It took forever to have someone deliver a blow dryer, when it stated one is in every room. When I was looking for it, I found some old batteries rolling around inside a drawer. The mattresses were miserably uncomfortable and the smell of the whole place was horrendous. I speak English, as I'm an American, but the woman at the front desk treated us like we were both deaf and dumb, repeating herself and speaking very loudly. She barely looked up at us when we checked in. The courtyard was loud at night until all hours. I did not let this place tarnish the wonderful experience I had while visiting London, but wanted to possibly spare someone else any misery I can. Worst hotel experience ever....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

We booked this through late rooms.com, but unfortunately we didn't read the reviews. We wish we had as they are almost all correct. If the health & safety people ever get in there, it will be closed down immediately, or at least it should be. You have to walk through the filthy kitchen to get to an even dirtier 'dining room'. I've never seen such a filthy place. The only decent thing about the bedroom was that the linen was clean. The room was damp & filthy. The hotel is directly under the railway arches (when you can eventually find it) and the large neon sign advertising (non existent) Caribbean food, was directly outside our bedroom window, and was illuminated all night. i cannot believe that places like this are allowed to remain open in country.

Room Tip: Do not use this hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Buxton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

I would NOT recommend stopping at this hotel . After looking at four different rooms that were filthy dirty, I settled on the fourth after I insisted that they cleaned it again, which was done by someone that wasn't actually the cleaner.

He asked me if I could give him 'FIVE MINUTES' to clean the room!! To get the room up to acceptable hotel standards would've taken five days.. let alone five minutes!!
If I'd of had the choice I would've booked out there and then.
I asked for a refund but was told they couldn't do anything until the manager arrived at 9.00am the following morning, but as I was visiting Brands Hatch, I couldn't wait around until that time.

I'd booked a full English breakfast and went down at 7.25am to be told that the cook hadn't arrived yet, (breakfast is 7.00am - 10.00am) whereas the man in reception then went off to cook my breakfast! So not only did he do reception, but he was the cook and handyman aswell! Basil Fawlty has nothing on this bunch of dirty amateurs!

How on earth this hotel is still open I have no Idea! The Environmental Health would have a field day there!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank FredBl0ggs
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I booked through Last minute.com. It offers a cheap rate, and I booked an Executive Room, this description is a joke. The room was run down, dirty (the net curtains were not grey they were black and the curtains were filthy). There were stains over the furniture, the bathroom was shoddy. There was even a friend in the room in case I wanted company (a spider as big as my hand).
There are other guest houses and good value small hotels and inns around the Bexley area, go to one of those, but make sure the web site shows you the rooms.
I literally ran out if this hotel in disgust having arrived late at night and had to find another hotel quickly.

Room Tip: Do not go here
Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Sarah M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orpington
Premier Inn London Orpington
7 Hotel Diner
#1 of 1 in Halstead
Best Western Plus Donnington Manor Hotel
Days Inn Sevenoaks Clacket Lane

Been to Mary Rose Inn? Share your experiences!